*Serta Pure Response 100% latex. Not bad! Not bad at all!*
Mar 14, 2008 5:31 PM
I just had the opportunity to lay on two very nice 100% latex mattresses over at a local dept. store. They just started carrying this new line by Serta. It's called Pure Response. Of course, they have their own names for each mattress model. The one I preferered was a cushion firm called "Ethereal". It's 100% talalay latex. Even the x-firm edge is latex. I really liked the feel of this. Supportive, but with just enough "cush" for the hips and back. A quilted cover. The other one also is 100% talalay latex, but it's got a convoluted comfort layer. I also liked the feel of that mattress. In fact, I wouldn't know which one to choose! They both have a 30 warranty. If I had seen these before I bought mine, I would highly consider buying one. They hadn't been out yet, though. There was a third 100% latex model with a memory foam comfort layer. I didn't even lay on that one since I'm not a fan of memory foam. But, someone who does, might really like it.

I found a couple Serta Pure Response mattresses online that look similar (different model names):

http://www.allmodernfurniture.com/Serta-Mattress-820471-550-XS1901.html#ProdDetails

http://www.allmodernfurniture.com/Serta-Mattress-820262-550-XS1896.html

Anyway, for anyone looking for a latex mattress with a long warranty, I suggest checking out this Serta line. Has anyone here tried them?
This message was modified Mar 14, 2008 by BeddyBye
Re: *Serta Pure Response 100% latex. Not bad! Not bad at all!*
Reply #1 Mar 14, 2008 9:06 PM
usage

lay has been used intransitively in the sense of “lie” since the 14th century. The practice was unremarked until around 1770; attempts to correct it have been a fixture of schoolbooks ever since. Generations of teachers and critics have succeeded in taming most literary and learned writing, but intransitive lay persists in familiar speech and is a bit more common in general prose than one might suspect. Much of the problem lies in the confusing similarity of the principal parts of the two words. Another influence may be a folk belief that lie is for people and lay is for things. Some commentators are ready to abandon the distinction, suggesting that lay is on the rise socially. But if it does rise to respectability, it is sure to do so slowly: many people have invested effort in learning to keep lie and lay distinct. Remember that even though many people do use lay for lie, others will judge you unfavorably if you do.
Reply #2 Mar 14, 2008 9:51 PM
mccldwll: You and Sager have the most informative posts on this and the old forum, but with all due respect, you certainly can be a kill-joy. I'd rather be "judged unfavorably" for my word usage than for my critical temperament.
Re: *Serta Pure Response 100% latex. Not bad! Not bad at all!* To mccldwill
Reply #3 Mar 14, 2008 10:23 PM
Speaking of lay....never mind.

As for the incorrect usage, excuuuuuse me. I must have been thinking of the old prayer, "Now I lay me down to sleep"....

And, I truly am sorry that you find it necessary to be so $#@! anal. As was posted previously, you actually do have a wealth of knowledge and it's very much appreciated. But, who named YOU the Simon Cowell of this forum? :)
This message was modified Mar 15, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #4 Mar 15, 2008 9:23 AM
My post was a cut and paste and should have been in quotation marks. It was objective, not subjective, and clearly stated that widespread usage has been changing. I posted it because I chuckled when I read "I just had the opportunity to lay on two very nice 100% latex mattresses over at a local dept. store" as I envisioned the audience. Frequent posters on mattress sites may want to know the difference, may enjoy the distinction, or may not care. It's not important.
BTW, IIRC that Serta has a 32 racetrack w/ a 28 core, so may result in the standard problem of feeling great at night, and terrible in the morning.
Reply #5 Mar 15, 2008 4:24 PM
Okaaaay, you're forgiven.

Now, back to the Pure Response....I was thinking that my mother might like this. I'm happy with my zippered, custom configuration. Anyway, what's a 32 racetrack? Is that the edging down the sides? I notice it doesn't wrap around, but I suppose they don't think people will sit on the end. (My husband does, though, when he puts his shoes on.) And, you say the 8 inch core is only 28 ILD? Wow. Doesn't seem firm enough, although it certainly felt like it yesterday. And, I couldn't determine the cut-out ILD. I went back last night and tried the model this store called "Transcend". It has the convoluted comfort layer on top which actually made the mattress feel very nice and yet still supportive. NOT a pillowtop, though.

How were you able to find out these stats? I asked the saleswoman if she knew the "particulars" such as ILDs, etc. Nope. Let me know how you found out the information. Thanks.

mccldwll wrote:
My post was a cut and paste and should have been in quotation marks. It was objective, not subjective, and clearly stated that widespread usage has been changing. I posted it because I chuckled when I read &quot;I just had the opportunity to lay on two very nice 100% latex mattresses over at a local dept. store&quot; as I envisioned the audience. Frequent posters on mattress sites may want to know the difference, may enjoy the distinction, or may not care. It's not important.<BR>BTW, IIRC that Serta has a 32 racetrack w/ a 28 core, so may result in the standard problem of feeling great at night, and terrible in the morning.

Recent Posts