Serta iComfort Genius memory foam or Posturepedic ind. coils with 1" memory foam?
Jul 24, 2011 11:08 PM
Since I'm sinking too much into the iComfort Revolution which is plush, I need to set up a refund soon.  One replacement is to get the next firmer icomfort Genius model which feels pretty good in the store.  But are these all foam mattresses all they're cracked up to be?

Another choice would be one of the new Posturepedics with individual coils, 'power packed' hips area with memory foam and also 1" memory layer.  but also about 2 1/2" of regular poly foam.  This bed in a plush feels good in the store, but I wonder if the regular foam will just pack down in a week. 

Another choice would be a Tempurpedic Cloud (not supreme or luxe).  But something about Tempurpedic makes me not believe their hype.  They seem overmarketed.  I also don't like their claims about the 'secret' Tempur material and how it is so superior to 'ordinary' memory foam.  Did they really spend 10 years with scientists and engineers developing the Tempur material?  It sounds a little ridiculous.

Re: Serta iComfort Genius memory foam or Posturepedic ind. coils with 1" memory foam?
Reply #1 Jul 25, 2011 12:29 AM
Tempurs are overmarketed!  That probably contributes to the fact that they sell well.  Several off my officemates have the cheaper Classic or Deluxe and swear by them.  One has Tempurs for his kids too and they are still like new after 5 years.  Another team mate has had his for six months and loves it.  From other online sources which show the fraction of people who are happy with mattress X, Tempur is at the top.  Based on my experience with Amazon, I generally expect about 10% of the reviews to be negative.  The problem is that people are quick to complain about products and generally don't bother going back to write glowing praise.  The number one complaint about Tempur is sleeping hot.

i believe the hype about Tempur and have read "if you are going to buy memory foam, buy a Tempur".  While I'm not sure about the 10 years in development, I do believe that Tempur formula for making foam is proprietary and different from other vendors.  The same is true with Latex; there are a few brands which have positive reviews.

While the up front cost of an expensive, quality memory foam or latex mattress is higher than a spring mattress, when you amortize the cost over the life of the mattress, the more expensive mattresses are probably comparable in price.

Re: Serta iComfort Genius memory foam or Posturepedic ind. coils with 1" memory foam?
Reply #2 Jul 25, 2011 12:43 PM
I didn't want to believe the Tempur hype either...until I spent the past few weekends mattress shopping & trying out a million memoory foam & latex beds. Not one has compared to Tempur. They have all either been not true MEMORY foam or felt like crap to me. Take the Dormia for example. the motion transfer on their so-called memory foam mattresses was worse than my 7 year old Sealy spring mattress!

I will say that I do feel motion transfer on the Tempurs, but it is slight. So I want to know how they can say you don't feel anything...

Recent Posts