Select Comfort with a topper
Nov 7, 2007 8:14 PM
Hello everyone I am a first time viewer of this forum.
Has anyone used a latex topper, with any success, on top of an air mattress?
I read that with a conventional latex mattress set some had problems choosing the correct core foundation as well as the layer(s). I am not very comfortable with the Select mattress, I have used for the past 13 years, anymore. I cannot get comfortable probably due to the compression of a couple of discs in my lower back along with the arthritis I now have. With money now being an issue could I salvage the air mattress and put a layer or layers of latex that might help me from tossing and turning all night long. I am 6'3" 230 lbs. My wife is 5'4" tall. She can sleep on just about anything as soon as her head hits the pillow. I am opposite. I am a side sleeper but have been a stomach sleeper on two pillows to try to lessen the pain. I am also on an CPAP (apnea) machine. Any and all responses will be appreciated.
Re: Select Comfort with a topper
Reply #1 Nov 8, 2007 2:03 AM
Foam Nerd
I don't have any personal experience with this but I don't see why not. Seems to me a firm air mattress would not behave a lot differently from a firm foam core. Actually, I seem to remember reading a post here recently from someone who replaced the cheap foam on their Select Comfort with latex and were happy with the result. 2" of soft latex from FoamByMail will set you back less than $200. 3" wouldn't be too much for a side sleeper. Just my opinion, for what it's worth. Others here have more experience with toppers on existing mattresses than I do.
Re: Select Comfort with a topper
Reply #2 Nov 8, 2007 1:39 PM
We actually added about 2 inches of latex to the top of our Select Comfort once the  foam on their topper compressed badly.  This helped out for a while and was quite comfortable. 

Recent Posts