Searching for a mattress in Canada
Mar 24, 2016 5:33 PM
Hello,
Firstly, thank you everyone for all the material that is available here. I have been testing and researching beds for three months now and had some concerns that I couldn't get satisfactory answers for. Coming on this site confirmed some of the issues I had.

I'm looking for a mattress set in Ottawa, Canada and I'd like to buy from a retailer. (I can't purchase online without having an opportunity to try it first.)

I am now looking at a couple of options and would like to get your opinion about each of them and what may be the best. I don't do well with beds that sink at the hips - it causes me back pain. I prefer to be on a level surface and don't wish to sink or have a cradling effect that memory foam offers. So my preference is for innersprings.

Here are the options I am considering:

Kingsdown Knoxville:
-Twice tempered continuous coil (720 coils) quilted to 3" carpenter low emission convoluted foam L.28 with 22 oz hollofill fibre, 1 inch firm low emission carpenter foam flexatron pad. (CAD $639.00)

Kingsdown Tremblant
- 800 pocket coils, airflow foam encased, Quilting with two layers of .5 inch L45 foam and 22 oz silk wool blend
- The comfort layer has 2 flexatron support pads and one inch of L45 foam. (849.00)

(I admit that I am wary of pocket coils dropping at the hips.)

A Canadian company 'Hardy Mattress' will make a queen continuous coil mattress with two inches of foam for (CAD$769.00) for me. They use foam at 1.8, 2.2 or 2.7 density but they recommend 1.8 for anyone under 170 lbs which is the category I fall into. They guarantee that they if I"m not happy with the mattress they make for me, they will either refund if I wish, or readjust the mattress to deal with whatever issue I have. I am thinking that if they are going to make it for me, I should have it made to fit my needs even if the price increases. I think a flippable mattress would be good. Do I need two inches of foam on each side, or would one be sufficient? The covers for their mattress looks like a single sheet of fabric. I think that I should request quilting of some sort so that it gives the mattress more support. Any thoughts?

Recent Posts