Searching for a KING SIZE PLUSH mattress in the $1000 - $1400 price range
May 7, 2010 4:07 PM
Hello my fellow mattress shoppers,

Does anybody have a recommendation for the following:  I'm looking for a king size plush innerspring mattress in the $1000 - $1400 price range (mattress only).  I'm looking for a pocket coil mattress with a good coil count.  The best quality mattress I can find within that price range.

And, the plan is to buy a platform bed... Any recommendations of where to go for a good platform in the $300-$500 price range would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks,

KingSizePlush Seeker

This message was modified May 12, 2010 by a moderator
Re: Searching for a KING SIZE PLUSH mattress in the $1000 - $1400 price range -- mattress only
Reply #1 May 7, 2010 10:40 PM
KingSizePlush wrote:

Hello my fellow mattress shoppers,

Does anybody have a recommendation for the following:  I'm looking for a king size plush innerspring mattress in the $1000 - $1400 price range (mattress only).  I'm looking for a pocket coil mattress with a good coil count.  The best quality mattress I can find within that price range.

And, the plan is to buy a platform bed... Any recommendations of where to go for a good platform in the $300-$500 price range would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks,

KingSizePlush Seeker

I suggest you do some research here on the forum, read the Highlighted Threads at the top of the main page for example, to get you up to speed on spring style beds, particularly S brand bands.

I don't really think you can buy a good King mattress for under $1400. That will put you into an S brand bed with crappy foam. IMHO.

Re: Searching for a KING SIZE PLUSH mattress in the $1000 - $1400 price range -- mattress only
Reply #2 May 8, 2010 7:39 PM
I agree - I just did "The Great Mattress Hunt" and I was appalled at how much they cost... and I only needed a queen!  We wound up going with Ikea for the bed (went with Sleepez for the mattress) - they might be worth looking at for 'functional, sturdy & affordable' since real wood may be out of your price range.

Good luck!

Reply #3 May 8, 2010 9:36 PM
You might try Room and Board.  They have  a plush encased coil mattress in your price range.  I tried this one and although it felt good in the showroom, it was way too firm for me.  They were really good about taking it back.  I did have to pay the delivery charge, but I believe they waived the pick-up fee.  I was able to email the manufacturer and get some of the specs on the foam inside.
Reply #4 May 9, 2010 8:10 PM
I almost bought a bed from Omaha Bedding Company--had slept on one in a hotel and loved it. Very good quality, and it was about $1300 for a king. Went with latex instead. 

For a platform bed, do a google search--i bought a good one for about $450, possibly from platformbeds.com--can't remember the exact site. But there are good, inexpensive ones out there! 

Reply #5 May 9, 2010 9:48 PM
That's right, I did see several platform beds that weren't too terribly expensive, but we wanted a tall storage bed with drawers beneath so I didn't look that closely at most of them.  When did tall bed frames go out of style, anyway?  Most of what I saw was so low to the floor that hubby and I were groaning at the thought of hauling out of bed every morning.  Our older joints don't like getting up so much these days...

I hope your quest is progressing well.  smiley

Reply #6 May 10, 2010 1:12 PM
Stayed at hotel over the weekend that had Serta Perfect Sleeper, I am now trying to find out which one as it was perfect, for now I am giving up on both latex and foam, too many problems and none so far resolve the back issues.

I know these mattresses are known to wear out quickly, but at $1700, if it lasts 2 yrs and I dont have pain, I will take it.

This message was modified May 10, 2010 by randys
Reply #7 May 10, 2010 1:53 PM
Randy,

If it was a Hampton Inn, I know that they also have their own Serta mattresses made just for them.   I came close to buying it twice.  The first time I had to  call Serta direct and ask for the mattress.   It was fairly high priced with NO returns.   Now, I believe you can order it right through the Hampton Inn web site.  It's still fairly high priced with NO returns.

Mark

Reply #8 May 10, 2010 2:14 PM
I am always surprised at the number of people who report staying in hotels and finding the mattresses so comfortable.  It has been years since I slept in a hotel bed without waking up in agonizing pain.  Clearly I have been staying at the wrong hotels . . .
Reply #9 May 10, 2010 3:02 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade, because frankly I too had a similar experience (except it was my sister's house instead of a hotel).

But I have to wonder if there is some placebo effect or some other psychological mechanism that might cause us to sleep better in someone else's bed. Maybe because we're on vacation and have less stress?* And I am one who always thinks people blame "stress" for too many things... but I am just looking for an explanation for this phenomenon of sleeping better on hotel beds... (which I also have had in the past).

I mean, come on - a SERTA? They are considered among the WORST of the S Co. mattresses!

Well, what the heck, though. It might be worth a try if it even gives you 6 months of good sleep.... Good luck and keep us posted!

*In my case, there was not a "less stress" factor at all. I was going home to visit my family under unfortunate circumstances, so it was not a "carefree" type vacation. So I have NO explanation as to why I enjoyed my sister's mattress so much.

Reply #10 May 10, 2010 3:34 PM
KimberlyH wrote:

I am always surprised at the number of people who report staying in hotels and finding the mattresses so comfortable.  It has been years since I slept in a hotel bed without waking up in agonizing pain.  Clearly I have been staying at the wrong hotels . . .

surprise
Me too I must stay at the wrong hotels.  I am lucky to get through the night.  Especially with hearing about bed bugs.

Recent Posts