Sam's Club memory foam (Night Therapy vs. Aerus)
Jul 27, 2011 12:04 AM
Hi everyone,

After MUCH additional research and the last ten days piled into the queen bed in our guest room, it's time to make a decision. Of course, given that we've been burned by pillow top sagging, the generally poor quality of a lot of mattresses these days, the pretty much non existent warranties (well, none that will ever be honored), and the general shenanigans of this industry, I am so nervous. I am willing to spend a good amount on a mattress, but given our history, I will be very upset if a new fancy mattress is sagging again in under two years, I cannot return, and I am out $1,000-2,000 for a king.

So- I think I've concluded that I'd like to buy from Sam's or Costco due to their very general and long term return policies.

Please keep in mind that we have tried latex and while I REALLY wanted to love it, I just could not adjust and my back always felt "fatigued"?

I have REALLY enjoyed reading the pages and pages of reviews & comments here and truly appreciate the input. SO, now I am hoping you all can help me here. I know how people here feel about memory foam, but I do have several friends that swear by it and if it's returnable, part of me really wants to try it.

I have read a lot of pretty good things about Night Therapy on Sleep Like the Dead, Sam's reviews (very positive), and other places. On the other hand, I've read on this board where Phoenix recommended the 12" Aerus from Sam's (rather than the Sleep Science from Costco) also pretty good reviews. Again, I am 5'7" ~165 and husband is 6'0" ~220lbs. We both like a pretty firm support. I sleep stomach and side. He sleeps side and back. We are looking for something with good support so we do not wake with back pain. Our usual back pain is more muscle related- middle back.

Two different choices that seem pretty good for the money:

1.) Night Therapy 10 or 12" memory foam from Sam's ($~400)  http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod2980293&navAction=

• 3" of 3lb memory foam
  • 2" of Theratouch (not exactly sure what this is- for airflow)?
  • 5" high density base

2.) Aerus 12" Natural memory foam from Sam's ($542) http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=185774&navAction=

• 3" of 4lb memory foam
  • 9" of Intellifoam base (again, not exactly sure what this means)

I've read a lot on the difference b/t 3, 4, and 5lb foam. I think we'd prefer the faster bounce back of 3-4lb and I've read you sink a little less with 3-4lb than 5? Also read that 4lb is a little more pressure sensitive while 5lb is more temp sensitive. Have also read that 3lb may be poor quality and deteriorate quickly? But have read good things overall about Night Therapy.

Thoughts appreciated on these two. Your experience or knowledge. Looking for: Good support, sinking a little less, little faster bounce back, brand quality, firm, but not rock hard on shoulders, etc.....

Worst case scenario, we move on to the $300 Night Therapy firm 8" firm king with 700+ 12 guage coils from Sam's + a topper! ;) http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3710155&navAction=   or sleep on the floor ;)

THANK YOU! smiley

Re: Sam's Club memory foam (Night Therapy vs. Aerus)
Reply #1 Jul 27, 2011 3:22 PM
After a little more research today, it looks like Night Therapy (Sam's) and Spa Sensations (Walmart) are both owned by a company called Zinus.

The 12" Theratouch Memory foam by Spa Sensations at Wal-Mart is literally only like $400 for a king! And it has 4.5 out of 5 stars by like 1,500 people! http://www.walmart.com/ip/12-Spa-Sensations-Theratouch-Memory-Foam-Mattress/7695950?adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001

The Night Therapy memory foam beds at Sams are about the same price. Wonder if they are exactly the same? And this one has 4.5 out of 5 stars by like 180+ people.

1500+ positive reviews is impressive. VERY impressive. Walmart's return is not as generous as Sams (still 90 days though) and for $400 could be worth a shot with this kind of customer satisfaction?

So the question is--- are these reviews real deal or is Zinus stacking their reviews on both Walmart & Sams Club????

Reply #2 Jul 29, 2011 12:12 AM
Anyone? Between the Night Therapy (3lb top layer) or Aerus (4lb top layer)?

Again, Night Therapy & Spa Sensations (same group- Zinus) have very large numbers of high ratings, but it makes me slightly suspicious that Zinus could have a hand in this? No idea, just unusual to see hundreds or even thousands of pretty positive reviews for the same mattress.

Aerus also has good reviews, but fewer numbers.

Would love help or insight! Hoping to buy asap!

Reply #3 Jul 29, 2011 6:44 PM
Does Sam's have a bed on display to lay on these?
Reply #4 Jul 29, 2011 8:21 PM
No, they do not :(  But they are inexpensive and returnable. Just debating b/t the two brands and the 3 vs. 4lb foam.
Reply #5 Jul 29, 2011 11:53 PM
Wow, with over a thousand glowing reviews (very unusual) and at that price, I think I'd go for it if I were in the market for memory foam!
Reply #6 Jul 30, 2011 11:14 AM
Dallasgirl wrote:

No, they do not :(  But they are inexpensive and returnable. Just debating b/t the two brands and the 3 vs. 4lb foam.

Looks like "intellifoam" is a "resilient" polyurethane foam. "Theratouch" is a high density memory foam, also PU based, that is supposed to absorb motion and has a slower "memory" response. I'd guess like the Night Therapy would feel firmer, and would probably last longer, too, with its more solid PU foam base, in particular.

Hope this helps.

I'm curious from folks who have bought "memory foam" mattresses, since they are PU based, how long do they typically last? Longer than ordinary PU foam?

Thanks!

Reply #7 Aug 3, 2011 12:01 AM

Hi Dallasgirl,

Tracking this thread with some interest and curious if you've made any decisions? 

The Aerus 12" looks like a winner to me.  They list their "open cell breathable" memory foam at 4 lbs which inspires some confidence while the Night Therapy 10" doesn't actually specify the weight suggesting 3 lbs at best.  Aerus also uses VPF technology that seems to promise better quality control and less off gassing in the final product. 

It's impossible to tell which one has the nicer bamboo cover and the Aerus is $184 more in the Eastern King with no base.  The Walmart Spa Sensations lists a velour cover.  For my money the Aerus 12" sounds like a higher quality and known quantity although all three have rave reviews (with the usual maddening negative reviews where one person says they don't like the mattress because it's too soft and the next because it's too firm.)

Good luck, looking forward to many pictures and a detailed report when you decide.

Reply #8 Aug 3, 2011 9:50 PM
Well, I am pretty interested in the memory foam. But we've tried Tempurpedic (firm ones like Advantage) and my husband is not a huge fan of the sinking. At least with Sam's it's returnable. But, given our track record lately, I just do not know what to do!

So--- since my husband isn't certain about the memory foam, we finally just ordered their super cheap firm flippable 8" mattress for like $300.

Night Therapy firm 8" firm king with 700+ 12 guage coils from Sam's + a topper! ;) http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3710155&navAction=

I would love to buy a nice expensive firm mattress like Stearns and Foster or something,but they are about $1600-2000 for a king. While I dont mind spending the money and I could buy one from Mattress Firm here with a one year full refund, I am scared that it will be fine for a year and then in two years it will sag, the return period is up and as we know, no one intends to honor any kind of warranty. And then I'm out nearly $2,000 and furious.

So, for this round, I figured we'd go super cheap, and returnable nearly forever. At least now I'll have minimal expectations for this thing and if it lasts me two years I'll be happy :) And from what I can tell, 700 coils at 12 gauge for king is not so bad really. It's equivalent to the $800 Serta's at Sam's. Still not high quality, but maybe good enough.

Bought two toppers to try also-- 2" Aerus 3lb and 2.5" Aerus 4lb. So this way, I get some memory foam but it's not the entire bed.

Hopefully this bed will be FIRM. It should arrive on Friday and I'll keep you posted. At least if it's awful it's returnable with Sam's and it's returnable!

Reply #9 Aug 4, 2011 1:32 AM
Dallasgirl wrote:

I would love to buy a nice expensive firm mattress like Stearns and Foster or something,but they are about $1600-2000 for a king. While I dont mind spending the money and I could buy one from Mattress Firm here with a one year full refund, I am scared that it will be fine for a year and then in two years it will sag, the return period is up and as we know, no one intends to honor any kind of warranty. And then I'm out nearly $2,000 and furious.

!

Well, I had a Stearns and Foster traditional line twin XL mattress in house for 4 weeks.  It had the individual coils, foam encasement, silk infused cover, .... but it also came dogged down with four 1" layers of some ordinary foam .. there's two 1" layers of 'hypersoft' in the quilt, a 1" layer of supersoft foam with 'Variable Response Technology'  and another 1" layer.

Tell you what, it didn't take more than 3 or 4 days for 'normal body impressions' to form (this is a cute way of saying the foam is permanently compressing somewhat).  Meanwhile the 'Plush' mattress was becoming firmer on me.  It was supportive, don't get me wrong, but I was not bowled over by the comfort layers. Then again I'm extra picky because I have a sorta bum right shoulder to deal with.

Now I know those four 1" layers are pretty much just 'the cheap stuff' in terms of foam, not high quality latex, or dense foam, nor memory foam.

And this twin XL set cost me $1126 with tax.  I believe the Queen set was about $1350 + tax.  Not cheap.

Reply #10 Oct 20, 2017 3:43 PM
Hi Dallas Girl,

Sorry I am new to this forum, hence my late comments. You might have already made your choice. But here's my take.

Night Therapy, Sleep Master, Spa Sensations, are all brands from Zinus. They make mattresses and other stuff too. I don't remember seeing what size you wanted.

The Night Therapy 10 and 12 Inch pressure relieving mattresses are the same as Sleep Master sold on Amazon. Before Zinus changed its website, I got the 10 inch pressure relieving foam mattress. The difference between it and the Night Therapy is this.: top down, ... Zinus mattress, 3, 3, 4, Even though the box says night Therapy the mattress on both Amazon and Sams Club are the same spec, 3, 2, and 5. That would mean, maybe just a hair firmer, but the same softness due to the same top layer.

I am coming from a full Leesa. I wanted to try out something else on the Twin side.

As for the Zinus mattress, it was on sale for $127 Twin. couldn't pass that one up. I also got the 14 inch Elite base. Put some doublestick tape on it, and that will resolve the sliding problem. The base went together nicely. I didn't have the instructions to read. It was easy to figure out.

Now the mattress is firm, no question. It did soften up in the last week. used a simple trick, walking on it in stocking feet for 30 seconds before sliding in between the sheets. Do that for a few days, and all will be well.

I look at it this way. If the bed works out, and it doesn't hold up, then you contact the mfg. Anyway, that's all for now.

Recent Posts