Recreate OMF latex mattress using FBM?
Mar 26, 2012 2:36 PM
Has anyone done this?  I've tried out the Original Mattress Factory latex at the showroom and I like it.  I am interested in making my own, however, to save costs and to eliminate the 1" poly layer.  I need a CA King, so the costs get much higher at this size.

I like the 9" bed which I believe is comprised of 6" of 32 ILD Talalay latex core, a 2" 19 ILD topper, and then 1" of poly foam.  The cost for this mattress would come to around $1700 with tax and delivery.

I can get those materials from Foam By Mail for around $1000 (no tax or shipping), using 6" 32 ILD and 2 or 3" of 20 ILD. 

My question is, has anyone done this? Are FBM's ILD levels comparable to OMF?  I read on this forum that OMF gets their latex from Latex International. If that is true, how does Latex International compare to FMB?  I have also read on here that FBM can be more firm. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

On another topic, box springs:

I do like the quality of OMF's box spring, but without purchasing it as a set it is $120-150 more if purchased by itself (I don't remember the exact number offhand, but I know it goes from $290 if purchased with a mattress to over $400 if purchased by itself.)  Any suggestions for a box spring/foundation, or is this worth the cost?  I see Sleep EZ has one for $380 or so.  Do you recommend that one?  I live in the midwest and it does get quite humid in the summer so I understand a solid base (non-breathable) is a no-no. 

Thanks!

Recent Posts