Recommendations for wool toppers
Apr 28, 2013 12:45 PM
Seems like everybody is getting latex toppers, can't find much information on wool toppers.

If I were getting a latex topper, from reading around the forum, it sounds like I'd want a 3" (or more) natural latex topper because I'm a 220 lb side sleeper.  And it also sounded like I'd want about 20 ILD.

What's the equivalent of that in wool toppers?  

This is about the best line of wool toppers I've found, with some of them available for sale at Amazon.  Go to this link and click on "Wool Mattress Covers" on the left:

http://www.snugfleece.com/

Here it is at Amazon, if you look at all the customer reviews, some guy's made a video review of it where his topper is on his bed and it does look pretty cushiony:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000GB31A4

Any of those be nearly as cushioning as a 3" 20 ILD latex topper?

Those wool toppers on the snugfleece.com page that are all natural say "dry clean or vacuum".  Any idea how much it would cost to dry clean one of those things?

Re: Recommendations for wool toppers
Reply #1 Apr 28, 2013 5:44 PM
Some thoughts:

Topping an existing mattress should consider the existing comfort layer... what will adding a topper to it accomplish for you.  Too much thickness could mess with the spinal support.

3" 20 ILD Latex is a significant addition... how will it fit with the existing comfort layer.  Also, it would be wise to put a wool pad over it to help with ventilation.

The wool cover/pad looks to be less drastic than 3" of Latex... would add some cush conservatively to the existing comfort layer AND good ventilation that you can always move to your next mattress.  If you decide you need a bit more comfort thickness, then you could try slipping 1"... maybe 2" of Latex under it.  A more conservative/incremental approach that includes good ventilation and avoids buying more Latex than you might need or can use.

Can't say on the dry cleaning... but if anything has remained amazingly inexpensive, it seems to be dry cleaning.

GK

Re: Recommendations for wool toppers
Reply #2 May 3, 2013 10:56 AM
Wool toppers compress and feel firmer over time. A wool topper's main function, in my opinion, is to provide ventilation and thermal control. 

Recent Posts