Really would appreciate some wisdom re my post: latex topper advice -- please help.....
Jan 5, 2009 9:56 PM
All, I have read the many excellent posts and need to hone in on a choice for a Latex topper. Here is my situation:

1. I have an excellent Serta Firm matress -- one year old. Latex top layer -- too hard, gives me shoulder soreness (and some hip soreness)
  2. I use a strip of 1.5" memory foam under shoulder -- can't use full bed topper as it is way too hot.
  3. I am 6'-2" 198 lbs.
  4. I have previously tried 2" ergosoft (100% natural latex not blended) that they claim is 16-18 ILD, but I found too hard (I don't beleive that this rating is comparable with the blended ILD rating)
From the many excellent posts:
  1.  Want to buy blended latex topper
  2. For my size and situation, should it be:
    • 1 in or 2 in thickness (many posts for lighter folks indicate 1" is best)
    • 24 or 28 ILD ? (many posts for lighter folks indicate 24 ILD would be best)
 Sleep-like-a-bear has suggested two options:
  1. One layer of 2" 28 ILD
  2. Mixed solution of 1 in of 28 and 1 in of 19 ILD (top softer layer for more comfort)
Can some folks out there help me with the advice so I can decide in next day or 2?
thanks! mark
This message was modified Jan 6, 2009 by Tischler
Re: Really would appreciate some wisdom re my post: latex topper advice -- please help.....
Reply #1 Jan 6, 2009 6:04 PM
Hi Mark,

From your weight and height information that you gave and the fact that your mattress is way too hard and you are getting shoulder pain, I feel you should try the mixed solution of 1" of 28 ILD to put under the 1" of 19 ILD.  Does Sleep-like-a-bear have a good return or exchange policy?  If they have a a return or exchange policy, and after trying out the toppers for a few days, you can either leave as is, or if need the topper to be softer, then you can exchange the 28 ILD for another 19 ILD.  You may even like two 19 ILD 1" toppers due to your height and weight since I am comfortable with a 1" latex topper over very firm latex layers (two 37 ILD's over a 46 ILD over a slat bed) and I am less than half your height and slightly more than half your weight.  But if their is a good exchange policy, you may want to try both toppers out to see if the softer over the slightly less soft topper over your bed is comfortable for you.

Re: Really would appreciate some wisdom re my post: latex topper advice -- please help.....
Reply #2 Jan 6, 2009 7:39 PM
Hi Lynn,
thanks much for your excellent guidance. My main concern was that most of the posts were indicating that 2" was too thick. In talking to Sleep-like-a-bear, it appears that they do not have the 1" options in the Cal King that I need to achieve the mixed ILDs and may only have it in other bed sizes -- I have not found anyone else one the web with a good range of options. But, it sounds like you are suggesting that 2" is going to be right for me anyway. They do have a good exchange policy, but I am leary of the effort to repackage and ship the heavy pad..... If I had to choose a singe 2" pad -- would you suggest a 24 or 28 ILD for me?   thanks!
mark.
Reply #3 Jan 6, 2009 8:56 PM
We just purchased a bed that feels like concrete.  We have on order a 2 inch "soft" Talalay latex topper that is described as 5.6 lbs...from Foam By Mail.  In the meantime I bought a egg crate type foam pad and when that was not even close to being enough I bought a Sterns and Foster pillow top topper.  I am sleeping now and not waking up with upper back pain, neck pain and headaches.

I am still looking forward to the topper and will remove the foam when it gets here.  The pillow top topper has saved us though.  Might give that a try?

Reply #4 Jan 7, 2009 1:02 AM
Mark - I had some confusion about your question....

You said "I have previously tried 2" ergosoft (100% natural latex not blended) that they claim is 16-18 ILD, but I found too hard (I don't beleive that this rating is comparable with the blended ILD rating)"

From what I can decipher, ergosoft is some sort of brand name that a mattress retailer calls their latex? I don't really understand how that soft of a piece of latex felt hard to you.  16-18 ILD is getting about as soft as it comes. Or do you think you had something else?  For myself, I can't imagine there is going to be that big of a feel difference in whether its blended or natural on a 2" piece. Not enough to make a 16 ILD feel hard.

If I didn't know anything other than you having a firm bed and needing it to be softer in the comfort layer, I would say that a 2" soft (20ish ILD) latex topper CA King from Foambymail for $205 shipped would be more than adequate. I have the product and it is decent quality. You're a pretty big guy, I doubt one inch is going to do it for you... The more you weigh, the more the latex compresses. All else being equal a heavier person will need a firmer piece of latex to achieve the same feel as a lighter person. 

Bill

Reply #5 Jan 7, 2009 10:50 AM
TXMichelle wrote:
We just purchased a bed that feels like concrete. We have on order a 2 inch "soft" Talalay latex topper that is described as 5.6 lbs...from Foam By Mail. In the meantime I bought a egg crate type foam pad and when that was not even close to being enough I bought a Sterns and Foster pillow top topper. I am sleeping now and not waking up with upper back pain, neck pain and headaches.

I am still looking forward to the topper and will remove the foam when it gets here. The pillow top topper has saved us though. Might give that a try?

thanks -- I saw these at Bad Bath and Beyond, but shyed away as these are fiber filled and seemed not to give much.....
Reply #6 Jan 7, 2009 10:59 AM
BillB wrote:
Mark - I had some confusion about your question....

You said "I have previously tried 2" ergosoft (100% natural latex not blended) that they claim is 16-18 ILD, but I found too hard (I don't beleive that this rating is comparable with the blended ILD rating)"

From what I can decipher, ergosoft is some sort of brand name that a mattress retailer calls their latex? I don't really understand how that soft of a piece of latex felt hard to you. 16-18 ILD is getting about as soft as it comes. Or do you think you had something else? For myself, I can't imagine there is going to be that big of a feel difference in whether its blended or natural on a 2" piece. Not enough to make a 16 ILD feel hard.

If I didn't know anything other than you having a firm bed and needing it to be softer in the comfort layer, I would say that a 2" soft (20ish ILD) latex topper CA King from Foambymail for $205 shipped would be more than adequate. I have the product and it is decent quality. You're a pretty big guy, I doubt one inch is going to do it for you... The more you weigh, the more the latex compresses. All else being equal a heavier person will need a firmer piece of latex to achieve the same feel as a lighter person.

Bill

yes, Ergosoft seems to be the brand name. They list the foam as 16-18 ILD, but having tried it, it is clear to me that this is a very different rating (or error) than what it feels like on the conventional ILD scale.......

Recent Posts