What is "Smartlatex"?
May 22, 2011 12:05 AM
Does anyone on this forum happen to know what "smartlatex" really is? Just curious why they don't just call it latex. Must be synthetic?

Any help deciphering this buzzword would be appreciated! Myself, I'd prefer it if they'd call a spade a spade, and quit giving things names like "smartlatex." Between that and all the other marvelous undefined enhancements being touted in the mattress industry, like they're supposed to mean something and that we're supposed to know what they mean, I'm getting the shudders. I'm about ready to make my own mattress out of straw.

Re: What is "Smartlatex"?
Reply #8 May 28, 2011 8:57 PM
Thanks, Jim and Budgy! I appreciate your insights! I don't see what the advantage is supposed to be over just stacking two layers of different density together. It probably is just an advertising gimmick. Just calling it "smartlatex" I guess is supposed to make us assume it's a great new innovation or it would be called "smart," would it?  Doh! 
Re: What is "Smartlatex"?
Reply #9 May 29, 2011 4:00 PM
weewillywinky wrote:

Thanks, Jim and Budgy! I appreciate your insights! I don't see what the advantage is supposed to be over just stacking two layers of different density together. It probably is just an advertising gimmick. Just calling it "smartlatex" I guess is supposed to make us assume it's a great new innovation or it would be called "smart," would it?  Doh! 

I agree that whatever it is, it's mostly just marketing. The mattress industry is full of it (pun intended).
Putting 2 layers on top of each other without gluing them would achieve the same thing in my opinion.

I saw a page describing Simmons foams. It has about 30 different types of foams with different names. Or was it Sealy/S&F? Whatever, they're all pretty much the same when it comes to marketing. Anyway, what it boils down to is that 99% of these foams are just PU polyurethane foams of various ILD's, some with convoluted tops, some zoned, etc and all the fancy names sound very scientific and attractive. But they're just different names for crappy PU foam!

In this case, "smart latex" is just another name for a synthetic latex foam, imho.

Recent Posts