What are the pros & cons of sleeping on a latex mattress? What does a latex mattress feel like?
Feb 1, 2008 5:25 AM
I would like to know what some of the pros & cons are of sleeping on a latex mattress, especially in the kit form from a company like Flobeds (I have samples of the different latex cores from Flobeds). I understand that issues with comfort of latex depend on ILDs, a person's body type & weight, personal preferences, etc.

The only type of mattress I've slept has been an innerspring (with no latex). It's hard to tell by laying on a latex mattress in a store what the mattress will feel like to actually sleep on.

What is the difference in feel between sleeping on an all latex mattress and on an innerspring mattress? Does a latex mattress provide enough support for the lower back and hips, or is a latex mattress not a good choice for providing good back support? Does a latex mattress provide a good seating surface if you want to sit up in bed to read, or does your butt sink down too much for it to be comfortable enough to sit up in bed? With kits such as Flobeds that don't have a firmer edge support around the mattress to support sitting on, do you just sink in when you sit on the side of the bed? Can a latex mattress feel like you are sleeping on a piece of "dead" foam,  "dead" meaning no cushiness, no springiness to the foam?

Thank you very much for help and opinions. I've been reading this site (and old one) for over a year now, and I'm still learning.

Re: What are the pros & cons of sleeping on a latex mattress? What does a latex mattress feel like?
Reply #32 Feb 4, 2008 12:54 PM
cloud9 wrote:
I'm kind of guessing that the Dunlop mattress I slept on was about 28 ILD. It definintely didn't thud! Although it was on a boxspring, and that will change the feeling. I'm not really sure why you would want to swap out the firm HR foam for the Dunlop. Firm HR foam has much more of a thud factor than latex. I think it provides a nice stablizing base over the springs for the bouncier materials on top. Remember, Dunlop is still rubber. It's bouncy. Just not jiggly. I'd be concerned that 2" of firm Dunlop would compromise the ridigity of the innerspring unit and you might be back to having too much foam on the mattress. I guess if you can return or exchange it for another ILD it would be okay. It might take a some experiementation.

The local Verlo mattress guy told me that they don't recommend putting latex or memory foam on springs or a box spring. They sell rigid foundations specifically for foam mattresses. I didn't get into the reasons why - but I have my doubts about mixing and matching springs and latex. Just my 2 cents though.

Dunlop is springy but it is a different springy than springs or Talalay.
Re: What are the pros & cons of sleeping on a latex mattress? What does a latex mattress feel like?
Reply #33 Feb 4, 2008 1:58 PM
He probably doesn't recommend it because it will last too long. Plus, he's a salesman and doesn't know what he's talking about.
On epinions. Old, but.....

Attached is a copy of a letter sent directly to the owner of Verlo, Dale Williams.
He never answered or replied to the letter:

Dale Williams
VyMac Corporation
W3130 State Road 59
Whitewater, WI 53190

Dear Mr. Williams,

I am writing to express my dissatisfaction and discomfort with my Verlo Mattress. I purchased a Verlo Mattress approximately two years ago from the Round Lake Verlo Store in Round Lake, Illinois. During the two years I have owned my Verlo Mattress, I have expressed my concerns and complaints at the local store, regional franchise and the National customer service. Each complaint has been received, however, there has yet to be any improvement in my Verlo Mattress, nor has there been any follow-up to my complaints.

I purchased the Verlo Mattress on a recommendation of my family. At the time of purchase, the sales agent recognized my family’s name and granted me a “free” bed frame, two pillows and a mattress pad. Later, when I phoned the local office to express my concerns about the discomfort of my Verlo Mattress, I was told in great detail that the salesman was wrong in allowing me all three items. Additionally, the local office told me my billing information did not indicate I was awarded all three items, namely the bed frame. I believe this information is important to express because the local office was distressed over this incident occurring and I spent a great deal of time explaining my Verlo Mattress rested upon a Verlo bed frame.

The specific complaints about my Verlo Mattress are 1) the Mattress curves to the center and 2) the bed and the mattress is uncomfortable. I wake each morning feeling uncomfortable and stiff. I believe it is impossible for me to “wake on the wrong side of the bed”, because all sides of the bed are the “wrong side”. Awakening daily is accompanied with feelings of frustration from a constant discomfort of my Verlo Mattress.

These specific complaints have been expressed several times to the local, regional and National Verlo representatives. During the first year, I complained about the discomfort approximately four times locally and regionally and my Verlo Mattress was returned to the warehouse two (possibly three) times to be corrected. During the second year, I complained to the National Customer Service and my Verlo Mattress was again returned to the warehouse, where I was told my fee for correcting the problem was waived. However, each time my Verlo Mattress has been “corrected”, the discomfort does not improve, nor is there any significant change in the mattress.

In an effort to correct the problem myself, I have done the following things to try to improve the discomfort:
1) I flip my Verlo Mattress bi-montly
2) I have switched the Verlo box-spring with another box spring.
3) I had the Verlo technicians check to see if the bed frame was set up correctly (it was).
4) I have slept in different parts of the bed.
5) I have had other people sleep in the bed to check the level of discomfort (they have agreed my Verlo Mattress does not offer a restful sleep)
6) I have slept in several other beds and have found sleeping to be comfortable and restful.

After all my research and evidence, I have found my Verlo Mattress is the sole reason for my restless nights and uncomfortable sleep.

In my recent (National) complaint, I have requested a replacement. Additionally, I have indicated that I do mind a store model or discontinued model. However, I was told that was not possible. Currently, I do not have the funds to purchase another mattress. Therefore, I feel imprisoned on my Verlo Mattress until the time when I have saved the money to free me from my daily discomfort.

Before I move to my final stage of complaint (which would be Consumer Advocacy, Better Business and Internet sites which allow Mattress reviews), I would be interested in hearing your thoughts concerning my dissatisfaction. If you are unable to respond or chose not to, please do not ask the Local, Regional or National Customer Service to speak for you. As I mentioned, I have spoken with those people and believe they have done what they believe they could do for me.

Recommended:
No

Comments on this Review
Reply #34 Feb 4, 2008 2:18 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
... Not so hard that my hips feel pressure points. Just plush enough so I feel some "cush", but not so much that my back sinks in. Of course, isn't that what everyone is looking for?

Yes, perfect way to describe it. That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for: just enough cushion for the hip bones but no more.
Reply #35 Feb 4, 2008 7:52 PM
Interesting Verlo comment. I hadn't seen it before. I'm glad we didn't get a mattress there. The people were nicer than the other places but we weren't that impressed.

Sometimes I think we could have just gotten a mattress locally and not fooled around with the internet retail world - and then I remember what I didn't like about the local mattress choices....
Reply #36 Feb 4, 2008 11:17 PM
Good point, cloud9. Right now my mattress has been feeling pretty nice the last few nights. I'm going to leave it alone for awhile. I did order the Brylane latex topper last night, thanks to this forum! :)

cloud9 wrote:
I'm kind of guessing that the Dunlop mattress I slept on was about 28 ILD. It definintely didn't thud! Although it was on a boxspring, and that will change the feeling. I'm not really sure why you would want to swap out the firm HR foam for the Dunlop. Firm HR foam has much more of a thud factor than latex. I think it provides a nice stablizing base over the springs for the bouncier materials on top. Remember, Dunlop is still rubber. It's bouncy. Just not jiggly. I'd be concerned that 2" of firm Dunlop would compromise the ridigity of the innerspring unit and you might be back to having too much foam on the mattress. I guess if you can return or exchange it for another ILD it would be okay. It might take a some experiementation.
Reply #37 Feb 4, 2008 11:22 PM
And, I find it the best of both worlds. :)

mattressmom wrote:
The local Verlo mattress guy told me that they don't recommend putting latex or memory foam on springs or a box spring. They sell rigid foundations specifically for foam mattresses. I didn't get into the reasons why - but I have my doubts about mixing and matching springs and latex. Just my 2 cents though.<BR><BR>Dunlop is springy but it is a different springy than springs or Talalay.
Reply #38 Feb 5, 2008 2:59 AM
Great information about latex mattresses and latex vs. dunlop. Thanks, everyone, for sharing your impressions and personal experiences of sleeping on latex...I'm soaking all of the information in and definitely learning more. Of course, it would be impossible to know for sure if I'd find latex comfortable until I actually slept on it, but reading your experiences helps me get a better idea of what latex may feel like to a person.

I don't think I would like the feeling of talalay latex pushing back on my body. I wonder if the soft convoluted topper from Flobeds that comes with their latex kit would eliminate the feeling of talalay latex pushing back...but I have read that some people find this soft topper to be too soft and useless. I have a sample of the Flobeds latex topper, but it's hard to know for sure whether or not it will be too soft for me until I can actually sleep on it on a Flobeds kit.

I need enough support for my lower back/butt so that my spine is kept in proper alignment and so that my butt doesn't sink too far into the mattress. I cannot handle too firm of a mattress that creates pressure points and feels like it has no "give" to it. There has to be just the right amount of cushioning, not too much and not too little. So a mattress that keeps giving the proper support (with durable cushioning)  year after year is a huge plus! 

If I were to buy a mattress with latex, it would have to be either a mattress with good 'ol coils with latex for the comfort layers or a latex kit (so that I have the option of choosing different ILD layers and moving them around inside the mattress to find the correct support). I have no experience sleeping on a latex mattress, so I'm thinking a combination of coils with latex would offer the best of both worlds. It would be even better if the coils and latex came in a zippered mattress casing so that if the latex wasn't comfortable, I could exchange it for a firmer or softer latex layer. Of course, I would love to get the mattress configuration right the first time and not end up having to make latex exchanges by mail...but at least Flobeds is good by allowing you time to do core exchanges or even return the whole kit. 

This message was modified Feb 5, 2008 by centralpark
Reply #39 Feb 5, 2008 1:53 PM
A  very soft topper is what I need to take away the pushing against me feeling also.  Hence, that is why I was looking for a 1.5" very soft latex topper. If I was not petite, the 2" topper may be better for me since I would sink in deeper and have the cushion with teh firmness underneath. Everyone is different. Some people prefer very firm toppers and others like very soft toppers.  You need to find out what you like best by going to stores and lying on latex beds and finding out what their layers are made up of to give your best educated guess.  You can always exchange layers or toppers but first try to find out what you like since we are all so different. I did so many exchanges to I know I did the right thing by going with FloBeds.com. I also did not want to pay a restocking fee if I did not keep the bed.  But we are all different and you need to experiment in stores to have a better idea before ordering and also knowing if you like a very firm bed or a softer bed. I like Latex since there is some give versus a rock hard mattress like I used to sleep on having no give.  A person's weight, height, back problems, and their comfort level of firmness levels are all part of the equation for comfort and support for that person.

Reply #40 Feb 6, 2008 5:56 AM
mccldwll wrote:
And that's where another dunlop problem arises for me. Shipping. It's heavy. Repacking a 3" twin size piece of talalay is rough enough. Try it with a relatively dense piece of dunlop which has been vacuum packed by the manufacturer. Some of these sites peddling dunlop with seemingly generous return policies obfuscate the fact that you have to repack it in original shipping materials, and return shipping costs are high (even where it seems to say that there is a minimal "return shipping fee", which often is a "handling fee"). One site stated if you lost the original boxes, they would sell you replacement boxes for $59.
BOTTOM LINE: Enter all transactions fully informed. Whatever you buy, make sure everything is in writing. Read and reread the fine print and make sure you fully understand the terms and conditions. Ask your questions and get the responses IN WRITING.

I have to agree with you there. Packing up my SleepEZ mattress was like wrestling cattle! Especially that 44 ILD. After that experience I wouldn't order anything thicker than a topper. If I can't find it--and try it--locally I'll just do without.

Reply #41 Feb 6, 2008 12:32 PM
Packing up my split latex cores is not that much work since they are split and are only 2.8 to 3.0 each and I have a friend that helps me. I would never buy a latex bed without split cores seeing the convenience of making the bed so adjustable and seeing how heavy latex can be.

Recent Posts