Re: Tweaking my toppers again / mattress surgery / new mattress
Aug 24, 2011 8:46 AM
(Note added in March 2012: Gave up on the old mattress & bought a new one. Added to this thread for continuity.)

=======================================

(Note added in Jan. 2012: The topper-search saga turned into a mattress-surgery saga. Mattress surgery details are farther down in the thread.)

---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking for opinions on the next way to tweak my toppers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the current setup:
Two-year-old 9" high old-fashioned, two-sided (flippable), firm innerspring mattress (full size), on a wooden [correction: wood and steel] foundation; both still in very good shape.
On top of the mattress: 2" 32 ILD Talatech latex topper from SleepLikeABear.
On top of that: 1" Talatech latex topper, 24 ILD.
The 3" of latex are enclosed in a heavy-ish cotton/poly cover from FBM.

Stats: 50-year-old woman, about 5'6", 120-125 pounds; side and back sleeper, but mostly side. A little joint pain in the hips now and then, but no serious illnesses or injuries to work around (knock on wood).

(The 2" 32ILD topper is a new purchase. I read some old forum threads that I'd saved on my PC; waffled between 32ILD and 28ILD; thought about getting an inch of each; but that was more expensive, and I was most worried about getting something that would turn out to be too soft, like my previous attempts, so I went with the 32ILD.)

So:

With just those 3" of latex, I think my hips & back are OK, but my shoulders still get too crunched and I wake up with some arm numbness.

When I add my 1"-thick polyfill fiberbed on top of the latex, my shoulders are good, but my hips sink down a little too far -- because this fiberbed is several years old and has flattened in just the hip area -- so I wake up with some low back pain. (The rest of the fiberbed is still in great shape.)

One option: I thought about getting a 1" 20ILD layer from FoamByMail and adding it on top of the 3" of latex I already have. Recent posts seem to imply that FBM's quality has gotten better and more reliable than when I was here on the forums 2 years ago.  But: Since I pretty much bottom out on the 24ILD layer, I'm skeptical that a 20ILD layer would help or would balance things out.

(If I put the 1" 24ILD layer on the floor, my bony hips & shoulders go right down to the floor. If I fold that topper in half and lie on that, I still go right down to the floor. That makes me wonder about all the posts I see about 19ILD and even 14ILD layers -- I can't quite fathom how those would be useful, so I'm curious about that.)

Another option: Get scrap foam and add some just in the hip area, under the part of the fiberbed that has flattened. SLAB sells some scrap latex of various sizes and ILDs. Maybe something like a 28ILD scrap under the hips would work?

Another option: A 1" 28ILD layer (or equivalent in 100% natural latex) between the 24 and the 32?

I'd like to avoid memory foam for now, because of the off-gassing issue, but won't completely rule it out.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Thanks!
-- Catherine

Edited to add:
In case it's useful, here's what I've tried before:

1) A thing called "Oodles" that had latex "noodles" in it -- great idea but poor execution. It would have been terrific if it had had at least twice as many baffles in it to prevent the noodles from shifting around within each baffled section. I half-heartedly attempted to hand-sew in more baffles but didn't know what I was doing and the thing is big & awkward, so that didn't work. (I used it on top of the 24ILD topper.)

2) Below the 1" 24ILD topper -- a 2" Dunlop latex topper from Overstock.com, unknown ILD & manufacturer. Wonderful for a while... but then it cratered in the hip area. Did not think latex was supposed to do that, but it did. [Edited to add: this was medium-firm synthetic, or mostly synthetic, Dunlop. Natural stuff would hold up much better, I'm sure.]

This message was modified Mar 15, 2012 by Catherine
Re: Tweaking my toppers again / mattress surgery
Reply #27 Dec 31, 2011 3:57 PM
RustyShackleford wrote:

Catherine, the whole zoning thing  ...  seems to me to make a lot more sense for males that females.   My shoulders are much wider than hips (circumference is like 15" more, when I measured for CSD's tool), so with un-zoned system my hips will be much lower, hence kinked spine and back pain.

Seems to me that the same geometry does not apply to women, generally speaking.    Not to get too personal :-) but based on your height/weight it sounds like you have a fairly classic feminine shape.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that, especially since I did not need any zoning for the first year on the mattress. My bone structure gives me an hourglass figure, of sorts (but without the Marilyn Monroe-esqe voluptuousness): about 38" for the shoulder circumference, about 28" waist, and about 38" at the hips. The CSD tool gives me results that specify zoning, but that's just someone's set of algorithms, which might or might not apply to this particular body.

I'm a tad long in the torso, and that makes me think more about the conforming aspects of memory foam. I might have to try an inch of it, just to know one way or the other.

I honor you for using mirrors.   It's JUST the kind of geeky thing I would do - although I haven't yet.   A simpler way might be a camera on a tripod using the self-timer or perhaps a remote shutter release.

Well, thanks. I don't have a tripod, though I might be able to set something up, but I don't have a remote shutter release, either. I suppose I should find out if my camera has a self-timer. It's an old one (in technology time-spans), but I have the manual.

I have spent way too much time on all this, but don't really feel like I have a choice, given what the mattress has been doing to my back the past few months.  And I still don't know whether the PU foam or the coils (or both) are the culprit(s). 

---------
(If using weight plates and a level isn't geeky, I don't know what is... smiley)

This message was modified Dec 31, 2011 by Catherine
Re: Tweaking my toppers again
Reply #28 Dec 31, 2011 4:19 PM
Catherine wrote:

Not a traditional box spring; just a wooden foundation that came with the mattress. I'm not sure what could sag, since there are no springs in it, but if something is sagging, the thin piece of plywood I have over it (extending across the bed, in the hip area) might take care of that. That's what I'm trying, anyway.

The whole shebang is resting on an old wooden bed frame, with 8 slats running across. (Used to just have 4, but when I bought the new mattress, I added 4 more slats.) The foundation has a center rail running lengthwise as part of its construction.

That's just something I tried last night. It ran only across the hip area -- I was operating on the theory that maybe any foam sagging in the bottom of the mattress might need some bolstering. Not sure it did anything, one way or the other, so I took that out today.

Honestly, I don't know. They feel firm & springy when I'm lying on just the mattress, or just the mattress & a sheet of latex.

However, I just stood on the mattress and walked around on it a bit, and there is a marked difference between the left and right sides. The side I sleep on sinks down much more. I don't know if that implicates the coils or the foam under the coils. (It does tell me that I didn't rotate or flip the mattress often enough, which I sorta already knew.)

I don't know that, either, and don't know how to eliminate that as a variable.* I'm guessing that it's sagging, because of the sinkhole issue, but I don't really know. With the mattress de-constructed as it is now, I'm not sure I'd be able to flip it over and test it. (I might attempt to rotate it, though.)

Because the mattress is double-sided, the coils are covered by the fiber-pads & dacron on both top & bottom.

-------------
* Had an idea. I don't want to detach the entire fiber-pad, but I detached it in a few places on one side, and put two sets of weight plates in there (a 5lb plate over a 10lb plate in each set), directly on the coils. Put one set in the hip area on the side I've been sleeping on, and shoved the other set over to the other side. I can't tell by just looking whether there's a difference in how much the weight plates sink, but when I lay a level across the area (the level is resting on both plates), nothing shows up. The level shows the plates being... level.

Don't know if that helps or not, or whether 15 pounds in each set is enough.  (OK, I just added another 10lb plate to each set, and the level still shows everything as being level. Is 25lb per set enough weight to implicate the foam on the bottom, as opposed to the coils? I weigh about 120 lb.)

Could the fiber-pad be a factor? Could it be worn out? Or since it was already partly detached on my side when I decided to stand on the mattress, would that be a factor? Seems to make a difference if I yank on the thing to tighten it across the mattress, but I could be imagining things by now.....

Also, the side that seems firmer is the one with the top quilted panel still attached, so there's more structural integrity over there. On the side I've been sleeping on, there's not a lot holding the whole thing together anymore. For all I know, my weight (when I was standing on the mattress) was pushing things outward and not just downward. This testing is hard to do with just one person.

-------------

That makes sense.

Thanks for all your help, sandman. This problem has been driving me nuts for several months, and aside from the sleeping & pain issues, which are enough in themselves, it bugs me no end that I can't figure this thing out.

-------

Just thought of something: On the various specs pages of the Jamestown Mattress website, I don't see anything specifying what size mattress the specs are for. So I don't know if that 528-coil-count is for a twin, full, queen, or king. When I bought the mattress, I was told it had 660 coils, but who knows if that's accurate? Sigh.

Foundation sounds like it should be okay.   You can try laying right on it to see if it seems to sag at all.  You should try lying on both sides of the mattress to see if they seem different.  Walking or using weights may be too difficult to tell.   If there is a material difference, then you may have a problem beyond just the foam you removed.   You should not have the quilted panel over it for testing, but if it is hanging over the side it should be okay.   How thick is the fiber pad?  You do want to keep something over the coils.  Also, are the coils wired together?   I assume they are not pocketed coils.

Yes, taking the top of does affect the structure integrity a bit.  It probably helps to have a tight and tucked in mattress pad over it.  Most of the mattresses also have foam or some kind of support around the edges, which can help as well.

Keep at it!  You may want to sleep on it a bit before making any more decisions.  Possibly rotating to see what the other side is like as well. 

Reply #29 Dec 31, 2011 5:08 PM
sandman wrote:

Foundation sounds like it should be okay.   You can try laying right on it to see if it seems to sag at all.  You should try lying on both sides of the mattress to see if they seem different.  Walking or using weights may be too difficult to tell.   If there is a material difference, then you may have a problem beyond just the foam you removed.   You should not have the quilted panel over it for testing, but if it is hanging over the side it should be okay.   How thick is the fiber pad?  You do want to keep something over the coils.  Also, are the coils wired together?   I assume they are not pocketed coils.

The coils are wired together. These are Lura-Flex offset coils (link to PDF).

If the problem does involve the coils, then I will have no clue what to do next.

I did not have the quilted panel over the mattress for testing. Just the Novabond fiber pads (& maybe the dacron, I don't remember now).

The sheet of dacron is about half an inch thick; seems fine. The Novabond fiber pad is really thin, maybe 1/8" inch.

I thought I was told (when I bought the bed) that to make this thing "extra firm," there was an extra pad across the hip area, or maybe across the entire bed, but there isn't one that I can see; there's just the Novabond pad and the sheet of dacron. It's possible that I'm remembering wrong... but it's also possible that what I got and what I thought I was getting don't quite match, for whatever reason. Maybe the guy at the store got the specs mixed up, or maybe I got the specs mixed up. No way to know. (I don't think anyone there was dishonest; if there is a mismatch, then one of us just got things mixed up.)

Yes, taking the top of does affect the structure integrity a bit.  It probably helps to have a tight and tucked in mattress pad over it.  Most of the mattresses also have foam or some kind of support around the edges, which can help as well.

A mattress pad would probably help, though I can't put one on until I either put the quilted panel back over the top or cut the panel off altogether.

There is some foam around the edges, but not a lot. I might need to pick up a cheap mattress pad to keep everything together, and/or attach some straps of some kind to pull the sides closer together.

I just rotated the mattress. We'll see if that makes any difference, along with the extra inch of 14ILD for pressure-point relief.
(Such an exciting New Year's Eve here.... laugh)

This message was modified Dec 31, 2011 by Catherine
Reply #30 Jan 1, 2012 10:31 AM
Yesterday I wrote:

I just rotated the mattress. We'll see if that makes any difference, along with the extra inch of 14ILD for pressure-point relief.

Welp, so much for the hope of waking up on New Year's Day feeling refreshed. Waaah.

I woke up in pain at about 5 or 5:30 AM; my shoulders & hips were throbbing (still are, 5 hours later). Finally got up around 6:30 and stripped the bed again. Took out the FBM piece; put back the N3 piece; folded the quilted top panel back over the mattress; put on my thin fiber-pad; then the 24 ILD and 14 ILD latex. Read for a little while (after feeding the cat), and then went back to sleep for a couple hours.

I might have just re-introduced the sinkhole -- can't tell after just a couple of hours. Pretty sure I put back too much soft stuff, though. Might have to change that again.

The company I bought this mattress from is having a half-price sale (ending today). I'm tempted to go in there and just start over. A lot of their beds use PU foam, but they do have one mattress that's just a 6" Dunlop core, with a wool and cotton quilted panel. Probably not a good idea, though, until I figure out what's wrong with this mattress and how to fix it. Otherwise, I'd probably wind up going through this whole thing again, 'cause I'd still have to figure out the right toppers for a comfort layer. If I can ever get that figured out, then it almost won't matter whether they're on a latex core or an innerspring -- unless, of course, I turn out to be one of those people who can't get enough back support from latex, in which case there'd be yet another expensive mistake. (Between the latex I've bought recently and the medium-firm Overstock 2" Dunlop topper that I brought down from the attic to check out, I've almost got enough latex to skip the springs entirely and build my own latex mattress.)

The last 2 or 3 years that I had my old mattress (we're talking 18-year-old mattress), it was really uncomfortable, and I'd wake up with numb arms & hands, and I could feel the coils. I am now wondering how I managed to tolerate that for so long. Maybe there are things I could handle in my mid-40s that I am not quite as willing to tolerate now.

Something else that puzzles me: For a period of at least several months, I was fine with using just my old thin fiber-pad, the 1" of 24 ILD Talatech, and the 2" med.-firm Dunlop topper over my mattress. That same combo now feels too firm. No idea why.

Anyway... Happy New Year, everybody. I hope we all figure out this mattress thing so we can sleep well and spend our precious time & energy on other matters.

This message was modified Jan 1, 2012 by Catherine
Reply #31 Jan 1, 2012 1:50 PM
Is it better or worse than before you did the surgery?  Does it feel too soft or too firm when laying on it for a while?  Do your hips feel like they are sinking in too much? 
Reply #32 Jan 1, 2012 2:39 PM
sandman wrote:

Is it better or worse than before you did the surgery?  Does it feel too soft or too firm when laying on it for a while?  Do your hips feel like they are sinking in too much? 

My shoulders & hips were throbbing because the mattress was way too firm (that's why I finally got up and changed everything at 6:30 AM). There was no sinkhole -- the reason I did the surgery -- but there was no pressure relief, either, even with 2" of 14 ILD latex as the top layer, over 1" 24 ILD, 1" 27 ILD, and 1" FBM (guessing 28-30 ILD).

When I got up and changed everything, I put a bunch of soft stuff back on the mattress, just to get a few hours of cushioned sleep. I'm pretty sure it was too much soft stuff, though. Not sure what I'm going to try tonight. Wish I had something between 14 and 24 ILD.

Sandman, do you still use that 1" 4lb "mem-cool" memory foam from Overstock, or did you decide that it was too soft and interfered with support? (I know you have the 5.3lb memory foam from FoamOrder.com; can't remember what you thought of the mem-cool stuff.)

Reply #33 Jan 1, 2012 5:21 PM
I don't use the men-cool at this point.  I prefer the denser memory foams 

It seems that you are now getting the support, and now need to focus on comfort.  Of course there is a trade off between the two.  I am a little surprised because you have a fair amount of foam on top.  Do you think the 14 is really 14?

I bought a 2" piece of memory foam from Costco recently for a spare bed.  It seems like a pretty good value (and returnable), but I am not totally sure of performance because I don't sleep on it. 

Reply #34 Jan 1, 2012 5:48 PM
sandman wrote:

It seems that you are now getting the support, and now need to focus on comfort.  Of course there is a trade off between the two.  I am a little surprised because you have a fair amount of foam on top.  Do you think the 14 is really 14?

I got it directly from the mattress manufacturer. They use it in the top layer of some of their latex mattresses, and call it "super soft Talalay latex 14 ILD." I have no reason to doubt them. It certainly feels ridiculously soft, and it's very fragile. I think it's too soft, and I just bottom out on it.

(Were you thinking that the 14 is actually a lower ILD? I'm pretty sure it's not higher; it's worlds apart from the 24 ILD I have.)

I might call the local foam wholesaler this week and see what they have in the way of memory foam. I know they carry some; just don't know what density and whether I can get just an inch of it.

I think tonight's trial is going to be 1" 14, 1" 24, 1" N3/27 ILD; then the quilted mattress panel; and below that, the 1" FBM (est. 28-30 ILD?), over the dacron & Novabond fiber & springs. The FBM latex is pretty dense, but the N3 and 24 ILD toppers from SLAB are very resilient and do not feel overly firm.

The soreness in my shoulders & hips was much worse last night than the night before; I wonder if some of that came from rotating the mattress. (I'm leaving it in its current rotation spot for now.)

Reply #35 Jan 1, 2012 6:50 PM
I wonder about the quality of the 14.  Do you know who made it?  I worry about the quality of talalay latex that is not made by latex international.  It is possible that is not providing much support or pressure relief.  Memory foam doesn't provide much support, but if decent quality it can provide pressure relief.
Reply #36 Jan 1, 2012 7:54 PM
I don't know who makes the 14 ILD Talalay latex -- or who makes the Dunlop latex -- that this mattress manufacturer uses. I think it's decent quality; it's just seriously soft stuff. Might be good for people who like to sink way down into their mattresses, but I'm not one of them.

Trying it seemed like a good idea at the time -- they were calling it 14-17 ILD when I bought it; I wanted to support a local independent business; and it was much cheaper than SLAB's products.

Of course, everything I've tried has seemed like a good idea at the time (with the possible exception of the mattress surgery).

Recent Posts