Simmons BackGuard
Oct 30, 2010 12:47 PM
Hi. Got a Simmons BackGuard last week after returning an NXG 250 Firm which turned out to be both too soft and too hard at the same time (butt sank too much, back was pulling while shoulders were in pain and arms went numb). The BackGuard has zones (thinner coils under hips and shoulders and very firm for lumbar support) that I can distinguished with my ribs when I lay on my side after a minute or so (I weigh 250 lbs). Every morning, I wake up in pain (shoulders, ribs, back) so I'm looking for a topper but don't want to go overbaord to avoid making it too soft. Budget is limited so I'm leaning toward Foambymail latex topper. Don't know if I should go for 20 or 32 ILD. Any advice? 

Also, does anybody know how bad will their topper smell? How long before it dissipates?

This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by ZZZZ
Re: Simmons BackGuard
Reply #1 Nov 14, 2010 12:18 PM
Tried fixing problem by adding one inch of egg crate PU foam and one inch 20 ILD latex topper from Foambymail. Making progress but can still definitely feel the difference of support between the very hard lumbar and thigh zone and the middle of the bed enough to affect confort and prevent sleep. Tried placing a piece of foam (one inch regular PU foam folded in two) between box and mattress, running accross the width of the bed. Instantly noticed a difference, made the bed much firmer and took away most of the difference noticed in zones. Bed was actually so firm that I woke up with with a very sore lower back. Will try to experiment with something thinner (maybe 3/4 x 1 x piece of wood) and inverting egg crate and latex topper (so far, I placed the latex on top). If anyone has an idea, let me know. Thanks.
This message was modified Nov 14, 2010 by ZZZZ
Reply #2 Nov 14, 2010 1:54 PM
I think at your weight you are going to need 3 inches of topper to make much difference.  Do you have an upholstery company in your area where you could pick up a cheap, soft PU foam to experiment with?
This message was modified Nov 14, 2010 by DianeK
Reply #3 Nov 14, 2010 10:27 PM
Just played with it for two hours and no progress at all. I'm starting to think there's no point into pursuing to fix it and mattress surgery wouldn't change the fact that this mattress has two different gages of coils. It will never be even or comfortable. In retrospect, what a mistake I made... again! Everybody around me thinks I've gone bananas because it's been weeks I haven't got any real sleep and I eat Advil like candies all day long. "What? Not your mattress stories again!" 

Hell, there's been many rough nights where the pain takes all the place in your mind and all you can feel is despair. Being afraid to go to bed is a terrible feeling. Although I've wasted a lot of money so far and feel terrible and ashamed about it, it's not even a question of dollars anymore; it's about getting back to a normal life. Depriving a human being of sleep on a long period has a very peculiar effect on the way you see things, enough to alter one's judgement, or so it seems.

Back to shop for a mattress but my tender half won't hear of a foam mattress. I now realize that the challenge in getting a spring mattress for a heavy person is to make the right compromise between support and comfort. Too much padding or week coils and you're going to sag and wake up with a back ache. Not enough padding or too hard coils and you won't sleep at all. It didn't use to be so complicated, but then again, I used to weight 160.

Is there anything more depressing than looking at mattresses scam ads and talking to salesmen who are bullshiting you all the time? I'd sooner go for root canal at the dentist...

P.S.: I have to say that the topper from Foambymail is well made, pretty much odourless and affordable but not as soft as I thought it would be. If anyone is afraid of ordering it because it's too soft, don't be.

This message was modified Nov 14, 2010 by ZZZZ
Reply #4 Nov 15, 2010 12:17 AM
Simmons seems to have it backwards...

Most of your body weight is in your lower torso area. Because of this your hips (on your side) or your rear end (on your back) will tend to sink in more because of that weight. Most zoned support systems (either coils or foam zoning) will usually put MORE support there to stop them from sinking in too far and putting your spine out of alignment. Simmons puts less support there so your hips or rear end would sink in more and the waist or lumbar area where the greater support is in this zoning scheme would be supporting more of your weight. This certainly isn't "normal" for most body weight distributions and even if your spine is in alignment this way, the small of your back (lumbar area) could be supporting too much weight. This is compounded by your weight and the guage of the backcare coils which are relatively thin and would make this effect even worse.

On the other hand, most people's shoulders have less weight than the hips but they are wider than the hips. They need to sink in more relative to the hips (especially with side sleeping). Zoning systems should reflect this by having a shoulder zone softer than the hips.

Basically multi zoning systems (more than 2 or 3) are more about marketing than real world performance since if there is a need for zoning in a typical mattress it is to have a firmer hip area relative to the shoulders. This could be accomplished by having a firmer hip area (typical 3 zone with a firmer zone in the middle which is most commonly what you see) or a softer shoulder area (2 zone which you rarely see). Both ways you would get closer to alignment based on the body makeup of most people.

If the zones are out or whack, not different enough, or reversed, then the comfort layers or a topper won't change the underlying "flaw". Hips typically need a soft comfort layer to distribute pressure since they are bearing more weight on the support layers. This softer comfort layer will also offer some support to the small of the back in a correct construction. In other words the comfort layers need to allow enough sinking in of the hips that there is not a "gap" between the mattress and the more "recessed" waist or lumbar area.

I really don't understand why Simmons does this ... it's truly wierd and different from other manufacturers ... and it's no wonder with your weight distribution that it's causing "issues".

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 15, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #5 Nov 15, 2010 12:33 AM
If I was in your shoes ... and bearing in mind that trying this won't fix the underlying issue ... I would try a firmer piece of foam under your hips of at least 2" and softer foam in your shoulder area. Both the latex you have and the egg crate would qualify as "soft". You could experiment with this by buying a firmer piece of 2" poly (would cost a lot less to experiment) and cutting it above your hips (around your belly button). This would help to "keep your hips up". Then you could use the eggcrate (either by itself if it is already 2" or doubled if it is 1") from the cut point to the top of your mattress. I wouldn't cut or use the latex at this point. What you would be doing in a way is using the comfort layers to do what the support layers should be doing because the support layers are doing what the comfort layers should be doing. I would use as firm an ILD in the hip poly area as you believe would not cause pressure issues. Buying only 1" of firmer poly and doubling it wouldn't work because the "cut point" would be more than half of the length of the mattress.

I realize this is not ideal but for the cost of a fairly inexpensive 2" poly layer you could get a sense if this would help. 3" would probably be better but you could always add it and/or change material if you had a clear sense that this would help you. This is one of those cases where it would probably be a good thing to "diminish" the effect of the underlying support system by adding thicker layers.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 15, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #6 Nov 15, 2010 12:52 AM
I should also add for the sake of completeness that this zoning scheme may have some value in certain circumstances. If a side sleeper was much lighter and had much wider hips than waist and liked a firm feeling mattress with thinner comfort layers (didn't like the feeling of sinking in), they may need a support system that allows their hips to sink in enough to create spinal alignment and allow a thinner comfort layer to distribute pressure better. I don't think from what you've posted that you "qualify" for this scenario :)

Phoenix

Reply #7 Nov 15, 2010 7:59 PM
ZZZZ wrote:

Hi. Got a Simmons BackGuard last week after returning an NXG 250 Firm which turned out to be both too soft and too hard at the same time (butt sank too much, back was pulling while shoulders were in pain and arms went numb). The BackGuard has zones (thinner coils under hips and shoulders and very firm for lumbar support) that I can distinguished with my ribs when I lay on my side after a minute or so (I weigh 250 lbs). Every morning, I wake up in pain (shoulders, ribs, back) so I'm looking for a topper but don't want to go overbaord to avoid making it too soft. Budget is limited so I'm leaning toward Foambymail latex topper. Don't know if I should go for 20 or 32 ILD. Any advice?

Also, does anybody know how bad will their topper smell? How long before it dissipates?

First off, the NXG 250 is a SOFT mattress...the 250 represents 2.5'' of "new generation memory foam" hence the "NXG". Which model Backgaurd did you buy?

Reply #8 Nov 16, 2010 11:14 PM
I know the 250 is soft but yet, it was cutting the circulation in my arms after 5 minutes, every time. That's why I said it was both too soft and too hard at the same time, no give at all at the shoulders.

The BackGuard I got is a tight top, considered firm but not too firm.

Reply #9 Nov 17, 2010 12:32 PM
Followed Pheonix advice last night and added a 2.5 inches piece of quality foam to add support in the middle of the bed. Change was immediate as I even had to change from a thin to a thicker pillow to be able to sleep on my side. I didn't change the setup for shoulders but I should have had since arms went numb all night long and my neck is a little sore. Lower back pain is still present, but has improved by at least 60% I'd say. We'll see if a second night of sleep continues on this trend. I'll try to find a thinner and softer foam for my shoulders. The bed now has a big hump on my side when nobody lies in it but surely enough, when I'm in it, it feels flat! I realize that this could only be a temporary solution.

A friend of mine who lives too far to go visit and try his mattress says he purchased the Hampton Inn set a few months ago and that he's extremely happy with it, even though he and his wife are on the heavy side. It's a Serta Tranquility Nights, plush tight top, two-sided mattress. I remember getting a good night sleep myself when we stayed at a Hampton Inn last year. I don't know if it would last a long time but if anyone has any opinion on it, I'd like to hear it.

Reply #10 Nov 17, 2010 2:01 PM
ZZZZ wrote:

It's a Serta Tranquility Nights, plush tight top, two-sided mattress. I remember getting a good night sleep myself when we stayed at a Hampton Inn last year. I don't know if it would last a long time but if anyone has any opinion on it, I'd like to hear it.

When I stayed at a Hampton Inn a couple of years ago, the first night was heaven and I thought I had found my bed.  It was a Serta with a thin pillowtop. Second night, not so great as I woke up with mild lower back pain in the a.m..  After the third night, when I couldn't touch my toes in the morning because my back was so stiff, I was glad we had stayed there three nights because I would have made an incorrect conclusion after only the first night.  Lesson to be learned:  no matter how comfortable a bed feels in the store, or after one night, you don't know for sure until multiple sleeps.

Recent Posts