Selling a Used Mattress??
Sep 7, 2009 1:00 AM
Has anyone sold a used mattress upon receiving a new one? I purchased mine in May/June and found it much too firm. I am stuck and posted a question in here for advice about soft mattresses. As long as it is legal, I'd like to sell the used mattress on Craigslist or elsewhere. It cost $1200 new, is in a non-smoking, no pet home. Has no stains, has been covered etc. Nevertheless, it is used, but in otherwise fine shape.

Does anyone have advice on selling? Any lessons learned? Just how much/little would you pay for a good used mattress?
Re: Selling a Used Mattress??
Reply #3 Sep 8, 2009 12:42 PM
Why don't you use a softer topper and keep the mattress?  Most people find that soft mattresses sag badly after a few months, it is generally believed that you are better off with a firmer mattress and softer toppers.  I wonder what makes it so firm?
Kait
Reply #4 Sep 8, 2009 4:23 PM
Which mattress brand/model is it?
Reply #5 Sep 8, 2009 8:32 PM
cptab wrote:
Has anyone sold a used mattress upon receiving a new one? I purchased mine in May/June and found it much too firm. I am stuck and posted a question in here for advice about soft mattresses. As long as it is legal, I'd like to sell the used mattress on Craigslist or elsewhere. It cost $1200 new, is in a non-smoking, no pet home. Has no stains, has been covered etc. Nevertheless, it is used, but in otherwise fine shape.

Does anyone have advice on selling? Any lessons learned? Just how much/little would you pay for a good used mattress?

Why not keep it and do a foam-ectomy on it?
http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/dissecting-my-sealy-fenway-mattress-bought-costco-4-years-ago-lousy-soft-foam-inside/1954-1-1.html
Reply #6 Sep 9, 2009 12:56 PM
I Love Portsmouth!
I'd put it on eBay just to see what you can get.  Set your minimum price high enough so that you don't have to sell it for peanuts.  You may be surprised what you get for it.  Also, Craigslist is good to. But I'd try eBay first.
Reply #7 Dec 30, 2012 3:11 PM
My problem is the opposite of yours.  We bought a bed and have discovered that it is too soft.  It is less than 4 months old and in perfect condition.  The mattress is a queen BeautyRest and we paid $1,700.00 for it.  If anyone knows anyhone interested in purchasing this, I would love to talk with them.

Recent Posts