Review: Costco Emma w/ Adjustable Base
Feb 27, 2010 3:25 PM
First off, I'd like to thank the many members of this forum that provide a wealth of information for others in their search of the "perfect" mattress.

A little history:  I've had a 360 degree lower back fusion operation and a spinal stimulator implanted.  In addition, I take quite a bit of pain medication on a daily basis to allow me to function.  As you can imagine, I could never get a good night sleep and we've (wifey and I) had two expensive mattresses throughout the last 6 years.  That said, we've spent so much time researching and trying beds at all the mattress stores that it's very difficult to make a decision.

My wife and I liked the Tempurpedic (deluxe and one other model that escapes me), but I didn't want to pay for all the advertisement fees associated with the purchase, i.e., extremely high prices.  After several long months on the journey for another new mattress, we decided to try the Costco Emma w/ adjustable base.  There are several reasons we went w/ Costco... Costco's warranty and the manufacturer's warranty (as good or better than others). 

I called Costco and got the number for South Bay International and Sleep Science.  I had the manufacturer email me relevant bed/base information and had a couple of discussions regarding their manufacturing.  Being that the mattress and base are made in China, I had QC concerns.  I can tell you all that my and my wife's experience so far (have had the bed for 3 weeks) is that this mattress/base is what I'd consider to be outstanding.  I've not had a good night's sleep in many years and for the last 3 weeks  my wife and I have slept right through the night.  I used to get up 2-3 times/night!  In addition, the mattress is very well constructed, has a 20 yr warranty (3/4" sag), and the base has a 20 yr limited warranty.  The base is designed pretty well and appears to be constructed well.  Although the base might not have all the frills of the Leggatt, it's an outstanding value for the money based on my review.

I hope that my review helps in answering any concerns regarding this specific mattress/adjustable base.  I realize that one size doesn't fit all, but this combination has met all my expectations and more (so far). 

Note that I have absolutely no affiliation w/ Costco or any manufacturer, retailer, etc. 

Regards,

Greg

Re: Review: Costco Emma w/ Adjustable Base
Reply #41 Mar 7, 2010 3:47 PM
BillB wrote:
The adjustable bed on this looks great and I see that they now have a deal on their Dunlop mattress/Queen and this together for $1900+/-     That's got to be a great deal if the mechanical part of this will hold up to normal wear and tear.

I would not want it with memory foam for myself though. I know some of you like it but I do not think memory foam is a good long term primary mattress solution.  But it can be excellent as a topper in the right situation.

That is the one made in China right?
Reply #42 Mar 7, 2010 3:50 PM
Natalia wrote:
Randy,

You have that flippable latex that Costco sold out of a few months ago, right? Do you have the soft side up or the firm? Did you have to use any toppers? I have a friend who's hoping Costco has these again, so I just want to pass on the information to her.

It's wonderful to hear you're pain free!
Congrats,
Natalie

started soft side up, flipped to the other side - any topper i try makes it too soft...
Reply #43 Mar 7, 2010 4:38 PM
randys wrote:
started soft side up, flipped to the other side - any topper i try makes it too soft...

A bit vague, any topper?  What toppers?  Is it too firm then without?
Reply #44 Mar 8, 2010 11:06 AM
I found the Emma too hot and with not enough support for me, especially when it got hot. I will be returning mine.
Reply #45 Mar 8, 2010 6:44 PM
Leo3 wrote:
A bit vague, any topper?  What toppers?  Is it too firm then without?

i tried a 3 inch and one inch topper, foam...both made the feel too soft
Reply #46 Mar 8, 2010 6:45 PM
Slides wrote:
I found the Emma too hot and with not enough support for me, especially when it got hot. I will be returning mine.

do you live in warm temperature area?  funny, not only was it not hot for me it was cold...amazing how different people see these things differently
Reply #47 Mar 8, 2010 7:38 PM
randys wrote:
do you live in warm temperature area?  funny, not only was it not hot for me it was cold...amazing how different people see these things differently

Well, it was a little warmer these past few days - 35 to 55 Celsius, but I don't live in a hot climate (East coast - NY tristate area). But the heating at my place can be a little too warm, but I know it gets pretty hot during the summer. It was just the feeling of sinking into the foam that waking up a couple of times during the night to open the fan, then turn off the fan etc. that bugged me.

Plus when it got hot, I sunk in even more, so did not like that at all. It also made me realize I'm pretty sensitive to a hot mattress. Live and learn.
Reply #48 Nov 23, 2010 2:54 AM
ctgreg wrote:

First off, I'd like to thank the many members of this forum that provide a wealth of information for others in their search of the "perfect" mattress.

A little history:  I've had a 360 degree lower back fusion operation and a spinal stimulator implanted.  In addition, I take quite a bit of pain medication on a daily basis to allow me to function.  As you can imagine, I could never get a good night sleep and we've (wifey and I) had two expensive mattresses throughout the last 6 years.  That said, we've spent so much time researching and trying beds at all the mattress stores that it's very difficult to make a decision.

My wife and I liked the Tempurpedic (deluxe and one other model that escapes me), but I didn't want to pay for all the advertisement fees associated with the purchase, i.e., extremely high prices.  After several long months on the journey for another new mattress, we decided to try the Costco Emma w/ adjustable base.  There are several reasons we went w/ Costco... Costco's warranty and the manufacturer's warranty (as good or better than others). 

I called Costco and got the number for South Bay International and Sleep Science.  I had the manufacturer email me relevant bed/base information and had a couple of discussions regarding their manufacturing.  Being that the mattress and base are made in China, I had QC concerns.  I can tell you all that my and my wife's experience so far (have had the bed for 3 weeks) is that this mattress/base is what I'd consider to be outstanding.  I've not had a good night's sleep in many years and for the last 3 weeks  my wife and I have slept right through the night.  I used to get up 2-3 times/night!  In addition, the mattress is very well constructed, has a 20 yr warranty (3/4" sag), and the base has a 20 yr limited warranty.  The base is designed pretty well and appears to be constructed well.  Although the base might not have all the frills of the Leggatt, it's an outstanding value for the money based on my review.

I hope that my review helps in answering any concerns regarding this specific mattress/adjustable base.  I realize that one size doesn't fit all, but this combination has met all my expectations and more (so far). 

Note that I have absolutely no affiliation w/ Costco or any manufacturer, retailer, etc. 

Regards,

Greg

This is very helpful - thank you for sharing! Can you share more about what you learned from your research regarding the materials used? I've heard that sometimes, there are unsafe chemicals in the materials that can be bad for your health. Any information on that?

Reply #49 Nov 23, 2010 4:03 PM
I know it wasn't me you asked but you should probably know that this is 3 LB memory foam as you can see here http://www.southbayinternational.com/ss_emma.php In the thread is is referred to as both 4 LB and 5 LB both of which are not correct

Sleep science does make some 5 LB memory foam mattresses http://www.sbsleepscience.com/product.php?cid=1 but the Emma isn't one of them. The OP is mistaken in his belief that the Emma is 5 LB. It is quite likely that 3 LB memory foam will break down relatively quickly. It would also be fairly soft.

They own their own Chinese factory http://www.southbayinternational.com/facilities.php which allows them to build their mattresses at less cost.

While it is on sale again at Costco and is probably less than you would find it elsewhere and they do have a great return policy... it's not likely it will last you very long and the low price really does reflect its quality.

The Emma is 10" and $599 in KIng. This one at Sams Club is 12" for $542.68 and also has 3" of 3 LB memory foam but it is Aerus which is a higher quality and more breathable foam. They also have an 8" version for quite a bit less which I would choose over both of them. All of these would probably also start to break down sooner than a 4 or 5 LB foam though.

If I was ordering a mattress that I wanted to last for a while, I would almost certainly use at least 4 LB good quality memory foam and probably 5 LB ... at least for the majority of it. 3 LB may be great for an inexpensive topper or a thinner layer in a mattress but as the main memory foam in a mattress, I would consider it a "throwaway" meaning I had no expectations that it would last for longer than months or at best a few years. On this basis it may still be good value if that's what someone was looking for and the price they paid reflected that.

Phoenix

Reply #50 Jun 15, 2011 5:24 PM
Greg,

The 10inch sleep science mattress with adjustable base is back in Costco on sale for 2099 and I'm considering buying it for our home. I came upon all the reviews here. And wanted to check back in with you to see how you like the mattress now that its been more than  year after your review. Have you had any problems with the mattress?

Hope to hear back from  you soon - your input is surely appreciated!

Recent Posts