Quality Latex over Innersprings - Do None of the S brand Mfrs Make One?
Jul 9, 2011 11:08 AM
With all this talk of mattress surgery here, I'm starting to think that not one S brand manufacturer (Sealy, Simmons, etc...) makes a ready made quality innerspring mattress with decent quality latex over top.

Am I correct?

Heck, I could search out Ikea and find a couple of mattresses that have latex over individual coils.  Trouble is I only have room for a twin and it must be an XL.  Ikea has no XL.

I would think a range of quality latex over a good set of individual coils would make an awesome bed.  Is there some sort of conspiracy by the S brand mfrs (perhaps they know a bed like this might last a long time), or another reason they seemingly don't make such a thing?

This message was modified Jul 9, 2011 by slpngoc
Re: Quality Latex over Innersprings - Do None of the S brand Mfrs Make One?
Reply #15 Jul 10, 2011 7:49 PM
I got some massive insight by the owner of Select Sleep Mattress, a local mfr. near my house.  The owner, Don, used to own the Spring Air mattress company.  He broke down the costs to a mattress manufacturer -

1) mfr. must pay $50k to each store to put their mattress on the floor, like 6 spaces.  Each additional bed space is another bunch of thousands

2) mfr has to pay some kind of 'spiff' (sp?) fee for each mattress sold

3) mfr has to pay fees to the seller

4) mfr. has to reimburse advertising costs to seller

These things drive the cost of big name mattresses through the roof.  Plus, they have to have different mattress fabric covers and names for each retailer, then they have to deliver a mattress within short time to the retailer which increases storage space.  All these things combine to drive up big name costs and consequently you get cheaper materials inside for your money.

If things fall through with Sears, I'll be going to this direct to public mfr. for my bed set.

Re: Quality Latex over Innersprings - Do None of the S brand Mfrs Make One?
Reply #16 Jul 10, 2011 7:52 PM
btw, I was told that individual coils may not last as long at crease points when put on an adjustable bed.  Maybe that's why when you see a 'specialty bed' with thick slabs of memory or latex foam, typically it will be an all foam bed.

Recent Posts