overstuffing mattress case with foam layers
Dec 1, 2010 3:33 PM
i have a sleepez bed that I keep trying to soften by adding more layers of foam in the case. So I now have 4.5 layers in a case meant for 3 layers. The case still zips, but I wonder if I am compressing the foam so much that it is affecting the feel. I have talalay latex, which always felt springy to me, but I am wondering if this made it more springy? Or if this is bad for the foam? 
Re: overstuffing mattress case with foam layers
Reply #33 Dec 8, 2010 2:29 PM
removed.
This message was modified Dec 15, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #34 Dec 8, 2010 2:45 PM
Well we have an allergy cover and a "fitted" sheet but both are designed to fit up to 18" mattresses so they are loose. I usually tuck them in but don't worry about that while I am rearranging.

As I said I had a cuddlebed and a 1" memory foam topper on the mattress, just removed the cuddlebed. Thinking I'll leave the memory foam because altho I hated a thick mem foam mattress the 1" layer does seem to help with pressure points.

I removed some layers to reduce the compression in the mattress and now have the following layers inside the mattress cover:

• soft conv. latex,(upsidedown)
  • soft talalay (sleepez, ~23 ILD)
  • med talalay (sleepez, ~31 ILD)
  • med dunlop (sleepez)
Reply #35 Dec 8, 2010 2:57 PM
st3v3k4hn wrote:

Well we have an allergy cover and a "fitted" sheet but both are designed to fit up to 18" mattresses so they are loose. I usually tuck them in but don't worry about that while I am rearranging.

As I said I had a cuddlebed and a 1" memory foam topper on the mattress, just removed the cuddlebed. Thinking I'll leave the memory foam because altho I hated a thick mem foam mattress the 1" layer does seem to help with pressure points.

I removed some layers to reduce the compression in the mattress and now have the following layers inside the mattress cover:

• soft conv. latex,(upsidedown)
  • soft talalay (sleepez, ~23 ILD)
  • med talalay (sleepez, ~31 ILD)
  • med dunlop (sleepez)

removed.

This message was modified Dec 15, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #36 Dec 8, 2010 3:18 PM
OK, that's a decent place to start.

Removing the medium talalay would probably have given us a lot more information but I also understand your reluctance (given what I did to Leo :)). The reason I think it might have been OK is that it's not too likely you'd sink through 4.5" on top (probably closer to 4" because of the convoluted) and how much you were able to feel the dunlop under 4 - 4.5" would have given us a pretty good idea of the depth of your critical zone. Even if you only sank in to the Dunlop 1/2 an inch it would likely still feel pretty soft (Unlike the 2" over Leo's dunlop where she was sinking into the dunlop more ... and too much ... which made it really firm.)

I suspect this layout may allow you to sink in too far and perhaps feel too squishy. It would be more like the feel of "soft progressive latex" than an innerspring with a nice soft layer on top that would keep you pressure free and in alignment. My guess is that you need softer/thicker than "normal" over firmer than normal underneath. Lets see how this goes though and go from there.

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 8, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #37 Dec 9, 2010 2:21 PM
Phoenix wrote:

OK, that's a decent place to start.

Removing the medium talalay would probably have given us a lot more information but I also understand your reluctance (given what I did to Leo :)). The reason I think it might have been OK is that it's not too likely you'd sink through 4.5" on top (probably closer to 4" because of the convoluted) and how much you were able to feel the dunlop under 4 - 4.5" would have given us a pretty good idea of the depth of your critical zone. Even if you only sank in to the Dunlop 1/2 an inch it would likely still feel pretty soft (Unlike the 2" over Leo's dunlop where she was sinking into the dunlop more ... and too much ... which made it really firm.)

I suspect this layout may allow you to sink in too far and perhaps feel too squishy. It would be more like the feel of "soft progressive latex" than an innerspring with a nice soft layer on top that would keep you pressure free and in alignment. My guess is that you need softer/thicker than "normal" over firmer than normal underneath. Lets see how this goes though and go from there.

Phoenix

OK, well I forgot how much I hate sleeping directly on memory foam (its ok under a layer, like under my wool topper). Slept for an hour or 2 and woke up stiff and uncomfortable and sunk thru the foam. Removed it and spent the rest of the night on just the mattress. Slept ok the rest of the night. Stiff this morning but willing to try again. Or would you prefer I remove the middle medium talalay and try that tonite?

Reply #38 Dec 9, 2010 3:03 PM
If I had the preference, I would remove the medium Talalay. We could get a lot more information that way and it would be a litttle less "random". The first thing I am trying to determine is how thick and soft the comfort layer needs to be and with the medium talalay under the soft it will be much harder to tell the effects of just the top two (3" + convo) layers themselves (the medium talalay would feel soft under them and it would be easy to assume that the softness was coming from only the softer upper layers). With the firmer denser Dunlop under these, it will be easier to tell if you are "going through" the softer upper layers. Typically. a 3" soft layer and a 1.5" convoluted would be plenty of thickness for almost everyone and the only question for a layer this thick would be how far you sink into it and it's ILD.

The absolutely greatest amount of information we could get about the comfort layers would be the 4.5" on wood ... but I wouldn't want to do that to you (laughing).

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 9, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #39 Dec 9, 2010 5:47 PM
Phoenix, I'm loathe to totally remove the med talalay layer just because the mattress cover wouldn't be full and i think it would be very uncomfortable trying to sleep in the collapsed cover. Wouldn't it be pretty much the same if I swapped the 2 mediums? ie put the med tatalay on bottom and the medium dunlop on top of that? Then the soft talalay and the convo foma on top of that? That way mattress is still "full" but the 2 softs are on the medium dunlop. If you really think thats not as useful I'll try it your way tho....

By the way, I wouldn't want to sleep all night on the floor but as a test I wouldnt mind pulling the 2 soft layers out and putting them on the floor to see how it felt. I could maybe nap on it for an hour? Would that actually be useful? I don't have a cover for the foam layers tho, I thought you're not supposed to lay them directly on the floor or sleep on them or handle them alot without a cover...

Reply #40 Dec 9, 2010 6:02 PM
Part of the problem with just swapping out the medium layers is that the "critical zone" I've been talking about is about finding out the suitability of the comfort layers. All the layers in a mattress compress to some degree when you lay on it but the compression is not as "point specific" in the deeper layers and a medium Talalay under a medium dunlop would be very different from the Dunlop on a firm surface. It would be much more difficult to tell where any specific effects were coming from.

Latex layers should definitely be covered for normal use but having them out for a short time would be fine. If you are game, then putting the two top layers on a blanket over and under on the floor could tell us a lot. If you lay on it in all your sleeping positions and sort of "bounce" just a little, especially with those parts that may have pressure issues (hips and shoulders), then "how much" you feel the hard floor underneath in different positions can tell us a lot. Take your time  and give yourself time to relax and be still in all positions. Do the "bouncing" gently while you are laying down on your side and back (rather than "all at once" or jumping on or turning over suddenly or propping up on your knees or elbow).

This could really help.

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 9, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #41 Dec 11, 2010 7:24 PM
PHOENIX

OK, I tried the latex directly on the floor experiment, here are the results.

First I'd like to note that these layers are actually a bit less than 3" - I think thats standard and you know that, but I just wanted to be very clear. Also, the conv foam is roughly 1/2" in the valleys and close to 2.5 at the tops. Finally, I always put the foam label-side up - dont know if that matters.

So, putting the soft talalay on the floor with the conv foam on top (flat side up) and just a thin quilt on top:
  • On my side I could feel my hips bottom out and start to ache pretty quickly (which is different - normally my shoulders ache).
  • On my back it felt like my butt was hitting bottom, and felt weird on my back, but I didn't stay long enough to start hurting.

Since I felt like I was hitting bottom I decided to remove the conv foam and add another regular soft talalay layer. I expected a big difference but honestly it didnt feel that different to me; maybe I didn't bottom out on my back, but it felt very similar. So I added the conv foam on top of that. That finally felt like I could sleep on my side (no real pain, but maybe too soft on by back??? would need to sleep a few nights to tell for sure).

So I put the bed back with the 2 softs on my side and the 2 mediums on my (wonderful and long-suffering) wife's side (pls don't tell her).smiley  I don't actually think I ever tried this before because I always tried to keep the bed "even" (same layers on each side).  I realize that this may be a terrible configuration, but I had to put something back and wanted to try something new!

By the way, I slept the previous few nights on just the mattress (med dunlop, med tal, soft tal, conv foam) with no toppers. In this congifuration its my shoulders that ache the most (sometimes my hips hurt a bit but not usually). Also my back feels pretty stiff.

So, thats that. What do you think?

Thanks again

Steve
This message was modified Dec 11, 2010 by st3v3k4hn
Reply #42 Dec 11, 2010 9:32 PM
That's very interesting ... and very helpful.

A bit of background first ... hope that's OK.

If you have a piece of foam with an ILD of say 20 and a high sag factor of say 3 (like latex) then it only takes 20 lbs to sink in 25% but it would take 60 lbs to sink in 65%. To go past this would feel like you are laying on a board. This means that you don't really go "through" the layer so much as reach the point where the compression won't go any further based on the body weight on top of it. How much sinking in there is along your body at this point (where no part of you can compress the layer any more) determines how well the pressure is relieved. The idea is to sink in to a layer enough so that the lighter and more recessed areas of the body are also taking up the load. This distributes pressure and relieves pressure issues.

If this 20 ILD layer was on top of a 44 ILD layer, then the 44 layer would actually be much softer than the compressed 20 layer in the first inch or so. It would start to compress long before the top layer reached 65%. When a really firm layer is only compressed a little bit (say 15%) then it will actually be much softer than it's ILD. This is why even a 44 ILD layer under a thicker softer one can still feel very soft at he very top of it's compression range.

The advantage of having a much higher ILD under a much softer one is that if the softer one only lets you "go through" a litle bit, then the upper part of the firm layer underneath will be soft enouth to allow enough sinking in to "finish" the pressure relief. Because it gets firmer more quickly with compression, it will also not allow enough sinking in of the heavier parts to cause alignment issues. The "critical zone" is really about knowing the thickness of the upper layers that are needed before it gets firmer than the support layers underneath and the softer part of the firmer layers "take over" the last part of pressure relief.

So on to your experiment: (I'm going to call the soft talalay 3" and the convo 1.5")

On my side I could feel my hips bottom out and start to ache pretty quickly (which is different - normally my shoulders ache).

This tells me that it is likely that 3 + 1.5 of soft talalay is likely enough to relieve pressure. If it was too little you would actually "hurt" rather than "ache" on a floor. Even 4" may be enough with the "softer" part of a firmer layer underneath.

On my back it felt like my butt was hitting bottom, and felt weird on my back, but I didn't stay long enough to start hurting.

On your back you would likely feel like your butt was "hitting bottom" because it was the only part of you that was really compressing the layer as your upper back has a flatter wider profile so the feeling of "hitting botttom" with your rear end would be expected. There is really only one part of you compressing (butt) rather than 2 on your side (hips and shoulders). The "wierdness" on your back was probably because your rear or hips were sinking in enough and then "being stopped" that the lumbar was taking up more of the load. Depending on what you mean by "wierd" it may actually be a good thing.

When you added the second 3" layer it shouldn't feel that much different in theory (which it didn't) because in both cases you have a thickness that is already more than your critical zone. It wouldn't "stop you dead" though underneath so the feeling on your butt would be less. Where it would make a difference is in how far it let you sink to get similar pressure relief.

With the 3+3+1.5, the pressure relief would have been slightly better (the bottom 3" would be "Finishing the job" instead of the floor") but my expectation would be that it is a lot too thick and would cause you a sore back and misalignment over time.

My guess is similar to what I thought at he beginning which is that your "critical zone" is about 4-4.5" and that along with the "soft upper part" of a much firmer base layer would both give you pressure relief and keep you in alignment. You need this much of soft to allow the presure relief to happen with both your hips and shoulders. The 4.5" in combination with a much firmer next layer may be just right or it may be a little too thick. It would depend on the ILD of the next layer. With a "progressive" next layer it would likely be too thick (a 28 or so would feel softer but allow too much sinking in of your hips) but with a firmer next layer it would be pretty close (you would only be using the very soft top part of the firm ... say 40 ILD layer before it "stopped" you).

So my guess would be to put the Convo over the 3" soft Talalay and then test out which next layer allows the softness you need (probably any of them) and gives you the best alignment (maybe none of them). I would think that the firmer the better to start with (Dunlop firm side up would seem to give the best odds). The danger here is that a softer layer under the firmer Dunlop one may allow you to sink too far. This is why I was hoping for the 4.5 inches over the Dunlop by itself as the bed base would be the next best thing to a 44 or Xfirm bottom layer which I suspect would be best.

There is a possibility that 1.5 convo over 3" soft over 3" soft would work (alignment with a deeper "cradle") but with a medium under this I would really think you will sink too far with your hips and go out of alignment. This may only work with a really firm support layer and even then it would likely be too thick for a comfort layer.

So my dilemna now (after you've tried out your soft convo + soft talalay + soft talalay experiment) is what to put under 1.5 convo + 3" soft talalay + 3" medium dunlop (which may or may not be firm enough). It seems that anything "left over" after that would be too soft to keep you in alignment.

Depending on what happened, the medium talalay instead of the med Dunlop may be better (if I've really underestimated your critical zone or for better shoulder pressure relief) but I really do suspect they may both be too soft.

If only we had a 40 or 44. The next best thing to stop a deeper layer from sinking in too much is to put a thin firm layer over it (cardboard?) if you want to "fill up" your case.

Let me know what happens with your setup tonight as we can learn from every combination.

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 11, 2010 by Phoenix

Recent Posts