New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Dec 1, 2009 9:33 PM
Hi, I have been looking for a new mattress and when I was researching Latex mattresses I found this site. I had already decided to try a latex mattress before coming here and from what I have read I am more convinced that is what I want. My husband noticed a new latex mattress listed on the Costco site and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I know it is new, but I thought maybe someone might have some comments that might help. Here are the highlights of the bed components - we would be getting a King size with the foundation and at $1499.99 it seems like a steal. I know we would be sacrificing the ability to customize the firmness on each side but is it worth $1000.00 for that??? Here are the list of latex layers - Four layers of 100% natural latex for unsurpassed comfort: Layer 1 – 1” 19 ILD natural latex – soft layer Layer 2 – 2” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Layer 3 – 4” of 32 ILD natural latex – support layer Layer 4 – 3” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Two mattresses in one! Due to its unique construction, the Sleep Science Natural Comfort Latex Mattress allows you to sleep on either the top or bottom of the mattress. Each side has been engineered for a slightly different feel, one softer than the other. The Sleep Science Natural Latex Mattress is two high quality mattresses in one. The mattress is delivered with layer 1 (softer sleep surface) on the top. For a firmer sleep surface, remove the mattress from the cover, flip the mattress, put the cover back on and enjoy a firmer sleep surface. 100% Natural Latex. Certified by the ECO-INSTITUT as 100% Dunlop processed natural latex. Sleep Science Natural Comfort 10” Latex mattress fits the dimensions of your bed Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633-Federal flammability (open flame) standards Limited Warranty: 20 years against manufacturer defects Hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and dust mite resistant This luxurious, health promoting mattress comes with a beautiful silk blend and micro-suede mattress cover Sleep Science Softness Scale – Soft/Medium on one side and Medium on the other Here is the link if you would like to look at all the info - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11496053&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|4914|4916&N=4001838&Mo=39&pos=0&No=31&ViewAll=40&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4916&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC850-Cat4914&topnav= Thanks again for your help! I am so glad I found this forum! Brenda
Re: New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Reply #109 Jan 29, 2010 4:19 PM
We've been sleeping on this bed for a month now.  We love it!
Reply #110 Jan 29, 2010 4:58 PM
fantasticalice wrote:
Try Overstock, type in "latex 8 inch mattress' and see what you get. They have toppers, pillows and TWO mattresses, one 8 inch and one 10 inch. You can call them, they will give you all the stats. I realize this is a site for Flobeds but there are other mattresses out there. This is the same mattress from Costco (stupid me for not checking Overstock 1st) except they don't have a cover. You really think that cover is worth $500?!?

Sometimes I feel sad for the people on here, you all sound like such a knowledgeable bunch till I really start searching the web. There is a lot of info out there. Lots of reviews on Amazon too.

Sounds to me like YOU don't know what you're talking about. To wit:

This is not "a site for flobeds". Flobeds advertises here, yes, but I guarantee you that if you have a legitimate gripe about flobeds or want to post a negative review after having tried one, you can do so. Flobeds has nothing to do with the editorial stance of the people on this forum, at least I have seen no indication of that, having been coming to this site off and on for around 10 years. People like flobeds' customer service and mattresses. Period. Know why there are so few - if any - neg reviews of flobeds? Because they offer high quality latex, free layer exchanges and a refund after that if you're still not happy. What's not to like? [And no I do not work for flobeds, in fact I bought one once and returned it.]

A long time ago this site had a lot more reviews of S company mattresses and S company industry people on here. Over time people have learned that S co's make crappy mattresses and so members have gravitated towards latex and home made mattresses of various sorts, and memory foam to a lesser extent.

Have a nice day - and enjoy your Overstock.com mattress.

This message was modified Jan 29, 2010 by jimsocal
Reply #111 Jan 29, 2010 7:18 PM
Just called sleep science who makes this bed, it is shipped SOFT side up, if you flip the mattress it will be firmer NOT softer....

They say they will have new shipments in at Costco in a few weeks.

I have this mattress and i like it too
Reply #112 Jan 29, 2010 10:47 PM
Mine was definitely not soft side up. That may be their intention, but apparently mistakes happen. Look at the layers. Unless their ILD description is reversed in the specs (also in the original post of this thread), then the side with the two thin layers is the softer side. Mine came with two thin layers face down and the thick layer on top. Regardless, it didn't make a huge difference. We ended up trying some different toppers, even with the actual soft side up. Take care.
Reply #113 Jan 30, 2010 8:44 PM
We got the queen mattress 3 weeks ago.  My wife and I can sleep on anything, but the longevity of latex really appealed to me.  I couldn't persuade her spend over $1000 for a mattress, so this really came at the perfect time.

Delivery to Queens, NY was great.  The delivery guys brought up the mattress in the box with no problems.  After unpacking, we noticed that the mattress definitely had a rubber cement smell.  For the first two days, we let the mattress air out.  After that, the only way you could smell the odor was if your nose was right on the mattress.  Currently, I can't smell any odor at all.

Here are some photos.

The outer mattress cover has a soft synthetic upper and a suede-like lower.  You can see one of the carrying handles on the right.

Here is the first label on the cover.

Here is the second.

There is a zipper on the suede portion of the outer cover.  After unzipping I found an inner liner that covers the foam.  I could not find a zipper or opening to remove the inner liner.  You may be able to see the holes in the top layer of the latex.  As far as I could tell, the holes were aligned and even.  Some of the layers were visible, but it was easiest to just feel the layers by hand.  The layers also appeared to be stuck together.  There was also a small label on the latex, but I could not read it.

Here I am sitting on the edge of the latex.  I weigh 210 at 5' 11".  The latex did not bottom out.

Finally, here I am laid out.  We both prefer firm mattresses and could not be happier.

Reply #114 Jan 31, 2010 1:08 AM
Excellent review and pictures!  Thanks.
Reply #115 Jan 31, 2010 1:29 AM
great pictures, looks same as mine in terms of covers, etc. out of curiosity... how did you your layers default? Thin/soft layers on top? or thicker/firm layers on top? From picture online it is hard to tell, but I cannot see a seam within the first couple inches on your picture. take care!
Reply #116 Jan 31, 2010 10:55 AM
randys wrote:

They say they will have new shipments in at Costco in a few weeks.

I approve of this post!  I've been waiting for them to come in again.
Reply #117 Jan 31, 2010 12:44 PM
It looks like most people are happy with the Costco dunlop mattress.  Good, maybe it will help start a trend toward more affordability in the latex mattress segment. It really needs it. I wince when I look at some of the prices.

Berty, great post with the pictures.  Can you unzip the cover and take some pictures of what's inside? Would really like to see more people do this with their mattresses. It will help everyone. 

We had talked on here quite awhile ago of maybe getting some posting categories (where all posts are not in just one long string) where we could put pictures??  Mods, any news on that?

Reply #118 Jan 31, 2010 10:34 PM
jst4fun,

Your post was the one that got me unzipping the mattress.  Turned out the mattress was shipped correctly with the soft side up.  It was hard to see the layers through the inner cover, but it was easy to feel where the layers changed.

BillB,

I was trying to model the photos on one of your posts.  I tried looking for a zipper or opening on the inner cover, but it looks like the cover is sewn shut.  However, since the mattress was so heavy, I did not check the entire cover.  I really wanted a shot of the raw latex like your photos.

Recent Posts