New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Dec 1, 2009 9:33 PM
Hi, I have been looking for a new mattress and when I was researching Latex mattresses I found this site. I had already decided to try a latex mattress before coming here and from what I have read I am more convinced that is what I want. My husband noticed a new latex mattress listed on the Costco site and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I know it is new, but I thought maybe someone might have some comments that might help. Here are the highlights of the bed components - we would be getting a King size with the foundation and at $1499.99 it seems like a steal. I know we would be sacrificing the ability to customize the firmness on each side but is it worth $1000.00 for that??? Here are the list of latex layers - Four layers of 100% natural latex for unsurpassed comfort: Layer 1 – 1” 19 ILD natural latex – soft layer Layer 2 – 2” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Layer 3 – 4” of 32 ILD natural latex – support layer Layer 4 – 3” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Two mattresses in one! Due to its unique construction, the Sleep Science Natural Comfort Latex Mattress allows you to sleep on either the top or bottom of the mattress. Each side has been engineered for a slightly different feel, one softer than the other. The Sleep Science Natural Latex Mattress is two high quality mattresses in one. The mattress is delivered with layer 1 (softer sleep surface) on the top. For a firmer sleep surface, remove the mattress from the cover, flip the mattress, put the cover back on and enjoy a firmer sleep surface. 100% Natural Latex. Certified by the ECO-INSTITUT as 100% Dunlop processed natural latex. Sleep Science Natural Comfort 10” Latex mattress fits the dimensions of your bed Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633-Federal flammability (open flame) standards Limited Warranty: 20 years against manufacturer defects Hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and dust mite resistant This luxurious, health promoting mattress comes with a beautiful silk blend and micro-suede mattress cover Sleep Science Softness Scale – Soft/Medium on one side and Medium on the other Here is the link if you would like to look at all the info - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11496053&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|4914|4916&N=4001838&Mo=39&pos=0&No=31&ViewAll=40&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4916&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC850-Cat4914&topnav= Thanks again for your help! I am so glad I found this forum! Brenda
Re: New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Reply #83 Jan 20, 2010 12:05 PM
Well it has been about a month on our new mattress and I can say that it is better than any expectations that I had. It sleeps cool and is very supportive and comfortable. I did read on the mattress instructions that it can take up to 120 days to adjust to a latex mattress. It certainly didn't take us that long but I can understand the transition period for some. I can't wait until they offer these beds again at Costco as I want to order them for the kids.
Reply #84 Jan 22, 2010 2:37 PM
Mine finally arrived yesterday!!! (ordered Jan 1).

Couple quick points...

1. the foundation is VERY stout, with a nice cover.  I don't love the plastic style top to it, but it is functional, and it gets covered, so it doesn't matter.

2. Delivery company (here in Sacramento, California area) said they are supposed to assemble the foundation at the shop, but customers have told them they don't like that, and now they are assembling on site, and I'm glad they did.  Less chance of losing anything.

3. The Cal King mattress came in full size mattress box AND THREE LAYERS OF PROTECTION.  They aren't messin around!  Outer cardboard box, inner THICK blue tarp like cover, then inner clear plastic cover.  They said they typically fold it in half and carry like a taco.  I suggested we just slide it while vertical and still in the blue tarp-like cover. Not easy because it is has no spine compared to a traditional mattress, but on one story house, it worked fine.  We took the blue cover off while vertical/leaning, then clear plastic cover off after setting it on the foundation.

4. I am VERY picky about smell, and there is NONE.

5. The top cover is really nice.  nicer feel than tempurpedic in my opinion.  Not that it matters much, because we immediately covered it with a think/breathable waterproof cover, and sheets. 

6.  Only issue? under the thick nice cover, I noticed what looked like some creases or folds underneath.  I was afraid it was a tear in the latex, so I unzipped the top cover.  Underneath the outer cover is an inner-stretchy cover!  the anomolies I had seen was just from places the inner cover not being "smoothed", but was easily fixed by a few tugs.  Putting the cover back on was a real PAIN. 

7. Letter came with it said to wait few hours to let it fully expand.  I didn't notice any expansion (or need to), but it was a few hours before we went to sleep.

8. FYI, Delivery company was willing to take my old mattress and box springs for $30, which I was happy to do.  Overall delivery was great.

9. Comfort? 

Background: I'm 5'10", 175lb, and have been desperate for more support, waking up in pain due to sagging.  I also have broad shoulders, and can wake up in pain or with arms asleep with previous beds, so I have tried memory foam and latex toppers (and combinations) on top of older spring mattresses. I tend to sleep on my side, but on a good bet, I can sleep on my back.

Caveat... it's only been ONE NIGHT, and the bed is MUCH MUCH more supportive than any bed in the past, some will call it FIRM, but I think that is because it has great support and not much fluff on top.  I am going to sleep on it for a week, then decide if I add a slightly fluffy/gussetted mattress pad on it.  I would compare the firmness and support to the tempurpedic classic I tried in the store, but without the "sleeping on sand feeling" of the tempur (not saying that is bad, just drawing comparison about the feeling that when you sync in, it doesn't bounce back like latex).

so it's not luxurious the first night, but I am very hopeful.  best of luck to all of you!

Reply #85 Jan 22, 2010 6:51 PM
I just received the bed yesterday and had my first night on it.  I was worried about it being too soft due to the low ILDs when I ordered it.  Well, I have it 'soft' side up and I am shocked at how firm this mattress is!  I'm 5'8" 205lbs and this very supportive.  We'll see  how it feels in a week or so, but I may have to buy another piece of something to soften it up a bit. 

Anyway, so far, I'm very happy with the purchase.  By far the best deal for a quality mattress!  I'm glad the OP started this thread!
Reply #86 Jan 22, 2010 7:08 PM
robd: Give it at least a week. Latex tends to soften up some what over time.
Reply #87 Jan 22, 2010 8:10 PM
eagle2 wrote:
robd: Give it at least a week. Latex tends to soften up some what over time.

that's what I'm hoping :)
Reply #88 Jan 22, 2010 10:42 PM
This bed is not being sold in Canada ... what a shame.
Reply #89 Jan 24, 2010 2:23 PM
jst4fun wrote:
Mine finally arrived yesterday!!! (ordered Jan 1).

Couple quick points...

1. the foundation is VERY stout, with a nice cover.  I don't love the plastic style top to it, but it is functional, and it gets covered, so it doesn't matter.

2. Delivery company (here in Sacramento, California area) said they are supposed to assemble the foundation at the shop, but customers have told them they don't like that, and now they are assembling on site, and I'm glad they did.  Less chance of losing anything.

3. The Cal King mattress came in full size mattress box AND THREE LAYERS OF PROTECTION.  They aren't messin around!  Outer cardboard box, inner THICK blue tarp like cover, then inner clear plastic cover.  They said they typically fold it in half and carry like a taco.  I suggested we just slide it while vertical and still in the blue tarp-like cover. Not easy because it is has no spine compared to a traditional mattress, but on one story house, it worked fine.  We took the blue cover off while vertical/leaning, then clear plastic cover off after setting it on the foundation.

4. I am VERY picky about smell, and there is NONE.

5. The top cover is really nice.  nicer feel than tempurpedic in my opinion.  Not that it matters much, because we immediately covered it with a think/breathable waterproof cover, and sheets. 

6.  Only issue? under the thick nice cover, I noticed what looked like some creases or folds underneath.  I was afraid it was a tear in the latex, so I unzipped the top cover.  Underneath the outer cover is an inner-stretchy cover!  the anomolies I had seen was just from places the inner cover not being "smoothed", but was easily fixed by a few tugs.  Putting the cover back on was a real PAIN. 

7. Letter came with it said to wait few hours to let it fully expand.  I didn't notice any expansion (or need to), but it was a few hours before we went to sleep.

8. FYI, Delivery company was willing to take my old mattress and box springs for $30, which I was happy to do.  Overall delivery was great.

9. Comfort? 

Background: I'm 5'10", 175lb, and have been desperate for more support, waking up in pain due to sagging.  I also have broad shoulders, and can wake up in pain or with arms asleep with previous beds, so I have tried memory foam and latex toppers (and combinations) on top of older spring mattresses. I tend to sleep on my side, but on a good bet, I can sleep on my back.

Caveat... it's only been ONE NIGHT, and the bed is MUCH MUCH more supportive than any bed in the past, some will call it FIRM, but I think that is because it has great support and not much fluff on top.  I am going to sleep on it for a week, then decide if I add a slightly fluffy/gussetted mattress pad on it.  I would compare the firmness and support to the tempurpedic classic I tried in the store, but without the "sleeping on sand feeling" of the tempur (not saying that is bad, just drawing comparison about the feeling that when you sync in, it doesn't bounce back like latex).

so it's not luxurious the first night, but I am very hopeful.  best of luck to all of you!

I agree with everything you have written jst4fun.  My Cal King Latex mattress from Costco arrived on Friday the 22nd.  I didnt order it with a foundation we just used our existing box springs and I am going to go to Home Depot and purchase 3/4" plywood to cover them soon.  When my wife and I tried it out for the first time after it arrived we really enjoyed it after all we had been sleeping on a 12 year old sagging sealy inner spring mattress.  After the first night of sleeping on it I would have to say we are pleased with it.  It feels FIRM but my back felt better and I suffer from restless leg syndrome and it didnt seem to bother me but it comes and goes.  The second night was pretty much the same as the first as we slept well and not hot as some people have mentioned.  My wife weighs 125lbs and I weigh 200lbs and she thinks we need to soften it up with a topper but I want to give it a little more time but may just give in to make her happy after a week or two. 

My review cant compare to jst4fun but I have tried to mention my thoughts about the latex mattress.  Just keep in mind that you dont really sink in much and it feels kind of soft but firm  which is from what I understand better for your back but please do your own research on this as this is only my opinion.  I very rarely write reviews but from all the good information I learned from this site I felt compelled to write one.  Hope this helps a little.

Reply #90 Jan 24, 2010 3:23 PM
keller30 wrote:
I agree with everything you have written jst4fun.  My Cal King Latex mattress from Costco arrived on Friday the 22nd.  I didnt order it with a foundation we just used our existing box springs and I am going to go to Home Depot and purchase 3/4" plywood to cover them soon.  When my wife and I tried it out for the first time after it arrived we really enjoyed it after all we had been sleeping on a 12 year old sagging sealy inner spring mattress.  After the first night of sleeping on it I would have to say we are pleased with it.  It feels FIRM but my back felt better and I suffer from restless leg syndrome and it didnt seem to bother me but it comes and goes.  The second night was pretty much the same as the first as we slept well and not hot as some people have mentioned.  My wife weighs 125lbs and I weigh 200lbs and she thinks we need to soften it up with a topper but I want to give it a little more time but may just give in to make her happy after a week or two. 

My review cant compare to jst4fun but I have tried to mention my thoughts about the latex mattress.  Just keep in mind that you dont really sink in much and it feels kind of soft but firm  which is from what I understand better for your back but please do your own research on this as this is only my opinion.  I very rarely write reviews but from all the good information I learned from this site I felt compelled to write one.  Hope this helps a little.

Give me the link to costco for this latex bed please. I have low back pain too. and my Sealy posterpedic plush mattress is killing me literally. Thanks so much.
This message was modified Jan 24, 2010 by lowbacpain
Reply #91 Jan 24, 2010 4:13 PM
well, I was going to try and wait a week, but I gave in and added a 1" memory foam topper, to give it a little bit more "cush" on the top. Just to help me sink in a tiny bit and hopefully prevent me from rolling over to my stomach, which causes me great pain in my back when I wake up. this now seems to be a good setup for side sleeping, and because it is only 1" memory foam, it doesn't mess it up for back sleeping either. My next challenge is a pillow. Down pillow is good for back sleeping, latex is good for side. still searching for the perfect balance. perhaps I'll go back to a tempurpedic pillow. we'll see. FYI: I now have the latex mattress (soft side up), then thin waterproof/breathable cover over the mattress, then 1" memory foam (cheap green-ish color one from Outpost.com), then normal fitted sheet. I love how motionless and quiet the bed is, and even better now that the waterproof cover is covered by the memory foam. Still supportive thanks to the latex. My kids still miss the old 3" soft latex topper I had on our spring bed because it bounced better :) good luck to all of you. hopefully costco starts offering this bed again so others can get there hands on these. let me know if any questions.
Reply #92 Jan 24, 2010 6:25 PM

We have spent 4 nights on our new latex mattress. We have gone from an extra firm pillow top spring mattress (10 yrs) to a Novaform Pure Comfort mattress (2 + months) to the latex. This is our first experience with latex so my perspective might be different from others who have slept on the different types of latex in the past.

After the delivery I let the mattress air out for a few hours. When I came into the room I thought one of the delivery men must had farted before they left. It wasn’t repulsive by any means but I really did think someone passed gas. As someone had mentioned before, it does have somewhat of a sweet smell but not in a good way! The smell does not bother me and my husband has not noticed it at all. After a couple of days I have noticed a typical latex smell when I first get into bed. Even if I just rub my hands on the fitted sheet I can smell the latex on my hands. I do have a good sense of smell however. Again, it is not overpowering nor offensive.

As for the firmness: The NovaForm mattress was SO much softer than our spring mattress. I find the latex much softer than the memory foam. The memory foam is dense. The latex is squishy. My husband says he feels like he’s sleeping on a gummy bear. When I first get into bed, I always feel like I’m about to fall out, even though I’m nowhere near the edge. It’s a little unsettling. That being said, once I fall asleep I wake up feeling better supported than in the memory foam. As you lay in bed your body does sink a little (not as much as the memory foam), allowing the latex to support your body. It also has instant recovery when you move. Also worth noting, the memory foam has no motion transfer, not so with the latex. As I said, it’s squishy. When I move, the whole bed jiggles a little (just a little).

I had to find another mattress as the NovaForm was making me hot and I tossed and turned all night long. No heat problems with the latex and so far I am sleeping much better. We have the latex soft side up still but are thinking of flipping it. My husband prefers the NovaForm but that took at least 4 weeks for him to decide that. After only 4 nights on the latex he says he’s not waking up during the night but it’s the “jello feeling” (or gummy bear!) he doesn’t like. My husband is 5’7 170 +/- lbs. I’m 5’5 125 +/- lbs.
This message was modified Jan 25, 2010 by becky

Recent Posts