New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Dec 1, 2009 9:33 PM
Hi, I have been looking for a new mattress and when I was researching Latex mattresses I found this site. I had already decided to try a latex mattress before coming here and from what I have read I am more convinced that is what I want. My husband noticed a new latex mattress listed on the Costco site and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I know it is new, but I thought maybe someone might have some comments that might help. Here are the highlights of the bed components - we would be getting a King size with the foundation and at $1499.99 it seems like a steal. I know we would be sacrificing the ability to customize the firmness on each side but is it worth $1000.00 for that??? Here are the list of latex layers - Four layers of 100% natural latex for unsurpassed comfort: Layer 1 – 1” 19 ILD natural latex – soft layer Layer 2 – 2” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Layer 3 – 4” of 32 ILD natural latex – support layer Layer 4 – 3” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Two mattresses in one! Due to its unique construction, the Sleep Science Natural Comfort Latex Mattress allows you to sleep on either the top or bottom of the mattress. Each side has been engineered for a slightly different feel, one softer than the other. The Sleep Science Natural Latex Mattress is two high quality mattresses in one. The mattress is delivered with layer 1 (softer sleep surface) on the top. For a firmer sleep surface, remove the mattress from the cover, flip the mattress, put the cover back on and enjoy a firmer sleep surface. 100% Natural Latex. Certified by the ECO-INSTITUT as 100% Dunlop processed natural latex. Sleep Science Natural Comfort 10” Latex mattress fits the dimensions of your bed Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633-Federal flammability (open flame) standards Limited Warranty: 20 years against manufacturer defects Hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and dust mite resistant This luxurious, health promoting mattress comes with a beautiful silk blend and micro-suede mattress cover Sleep Science Softness Scale – Soft/Medium on one side and Medium on the other Here is the link if you would like to look at all the info - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11496053&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|4914|4916&N=4001838&Mo=39&pos=0&No=31&ViewAll=40&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4916&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC850-Cat4914&topnav= Thanks again for your help! I am so glad I found this forum! Brenda
Re: New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Reply #60 Jan 10, 2010 9:04 PM
thrifty wrote:
Engra: you mention that the bed is much firmer than the ILDs suggest. Are you referring to the soft side up or did you flip it so that the firm side is up? I visited the South Bay International office in Pomona 2 mos ago and tried the latex bed and the various memory foam beds as well. I thought the latex (demo was soft side up) was not firm enough but there was no flip side available for comparison; to me the soft side up is similar to the medium softness memory foam mattresses. My recollection of the various memory foam beds is imperfect but I believe the Celeste was firmer than the Ara but also a little springier due to the 2" layer of latex. Both were comfortable. The springiness was the biggest difference. The latex and memory foam chemicals are, according to the company rep, sourced outside of China but South Bay owns a 700,000 sq foot manufacturing plant in China (website www.southbayinternational.com) where raw products are sent for manufacture. I, too, noticed that all the latex bed sizes appeared on the Costco site the day after the sale ended. However, the next day the whole latex line disappeared. The company phone agent said that no additonal orders were being taken to avoid back ordering. She also mentioned that the memory foam Emma bed is going on sale next month (Feb); that may or may not be accurate. I decided to wait until several user reviews appeared on the Costco site, or here, about the all latex bed before ordering. So please post your experience if you've slept on it (and which side of it you like the best).

We have the soft side up and still think it's rather firm.  I should mention that I'm 5'9" 140lbs and my wife is 5'4" 105 lbs.  So after reading some of the other user's experiences with this mattress, body type certainly plays a role in our opinion that this mattress is on the firmer side.  It is certainly firmer than the 3" topper of Natural Talalay we purchased that was said to have  a 24-28 ILD.  The talalay also seems much springier than the Costco mattress.  The Costco mattres has zero smell, while the LI natural topper has a distinctly sweet odor, not a chemically smell but certainly noticable.

I honestly can't imagine trying to remove the cover on this king size beast flipping the mattress and then trying to put the cover back on as the costco site suggests.  I would just flip it over and put the mattress pad and sheet back on it.

Reply #61 Jan 10, 2010 10:16 PM
I see that you like the firmness of the Costco bed.    I was wondering if you were going to try the 3 inch Talalay topper on it to soften it up?   I just ordered a 3 inch medium from FoamSweetFoam to add to my too firm latex mattress.  I guess I can't ask your 2 year old how she likes it....hahaha.
This message was modified Jan 10, 2010 by markbnh1
Reply #62 Jan 12, 2010 1:54 PM
We received our king size bed last week and the foundation was not the right size. They shipped us a Cal King foundation and we needed the Eastern King. The delivery company was very good contrary to the review posted on the Costco web site. They apparently were able to get approval to allow us to keep the mattress and refuse the foundation which we did. Instead of calling Costco, I called the manufacturer and they said that they could handle it without the need to go through Costco. They are going to ship out a foundation and in the meantime we are using the mattress on our previous boxsprings. We are sleeping on the soft side or at least the side that the top of the cover is on. It has been about a week and I can attest that this bed so far is very supportive and comfortable. It is firmer then we expected but we actually like it very much because it is also soft. We have two Nature's Rest latex pillows that compliment the latex bed very well.

On another note, I asked the person at the company how the Costco sale was and she said that it exceeded their expectations. The company had ordered what they thought would be enough beds to satisfy the orders and as  you know that was not enough. She indicated that a couple thousand beds were sold. I asked her if they were going to use Costco again in the future and she said that yes they would but that Costco's policy is that the items must be in stock and cannot be back ordered. I'm not sure if the prices will go up but even if they do, I am planning on getting 2 more beds for my children.

Reply #63 Jan 12, 2010 1:57 PM
As a follow up: The company requires that the foundation be installed at the delivery companies warehouse and not in the customer's house. Should the delivery company have abided in the instructions of the manufacturer then the wrong size foundation would have never been delivered in the first place. :)
Reply #64 Jan 12, 2010 1:57 PM
ordered full size natural comfort latex  costco mattress  ($ 978.74 includes tax,) 12/27/09
shipped 12/30/09
delivered 1/12/10 by Quality Moving Service in sacramento, california  -quickly and courteously set up

we are in our 80's.  i'm 5 ft tall weighing 102 and my husband is 5ft 10 weighing 165.  using our old box spring with a 3/4 plyboard, the softside feels firm and comfortable so far.  the whole bed sits about 23 inches above the floor in a regular bed frame.  there is no odor at all, but the weight of the mattress can be a problem for us weaklings.  i'm using a waterproof mattress cover from target which has an assortment of different materials.  after a reasonable trial period, will report back.

thank you for all your info on this forum.  sure beats much of the sales talk when we tested products at the local stores.
Reply #65 Jan 12, 2010 4:01 PM
Barry,

I wouldn't want my mattress unwrapped anywhere but in my own home. Are you SURE of that statement, mattress and foundation to be "installed" at carriers warehouse? I never heard of such a thing!

I am still awaiting my own bed with baited breath....

Reply #66 Jan 12, 2010 6:36 PM
fantasticalice wrote:
Barry,

I wouldn't want my mattress unwrapped anywhere but in my own home. Are you SURE of that statement, mattress and foundation to be "installed" at carriers warehouse? I never heard of such a thing!

I am still awaiting my own bed with baited breath....

Only the foundation, which is made out of 100% metal, should be assembled at the warehouse. 

The mattress comes in a bag and is then boxed.  The movers wanted to unbox and then carry the thing in without a box.  We told them we want them to carry the mattress in the box until it got to our master bedroom.  I would highly advise not letting them unbox in the truck.  The mattress is so heavy that when it folds in half, which it will, it could easily tear. 

After we got our king, we also ordered a twin on the last day of the sale.  I plan to ask them to keep it in the box until it's in the room.

A mini-preliminary review, plus a pressing question.
Reply #67 Jan 12, 2010 8:23 PM
I just received my king Latex mattress and mathing foundation a couple of hours ago.  I was so eager to test it out that I crawled into the middle, pulled a blanket on top of me and conked out.  It felt WONDERFUL, which was a surprise, since 1) I expected it to be far too soft for me, as I prefer a firm mattress feel, and 2) I didn't flip it to the "firmer" side, I just tested it as-is. 
I'm not sure, just yet, if this is a testament to the quality of this bed or to the horrendous quality of my previous bed, but so far, so good.  I'll happily provide a better and more thorough review after I've actually put bedding on it and had some sleep in it.

That said, I have a very pressing question for those of you that have received the FOUNDATION for this mattress.  Can you please help me figure out if I have a problem with my foundation? I have a feeling that something must be missing.  What I received was a black powder-coated steel foundation (in two parts, since this is a king, they'd be 2 TwinXL foundation pieces).  So far so good.  On top of this, I fully expected there to be something flat -- something to distribute the weight evenly across the metal foundation and prevent sag.  There is nothing -- they brought in the king mattress and plopped it right down on top of the metal frame, directly.  I didn't notice it until I went to get UP from the bed after my test nap, but the corners sink and disappear down into the holes in the frame with any pressure.  That cannot possibly be a good thing, or intended, right?  An attempt to lay on one SIDE of the bed, as we would need to when sharing the bed, was very uncomfortable and uneven, the mattress trying to slide down into the frame beneath me. 

Can anyone verify my concerns before I start trying to track down my missing piece(s)?  I saw it mentioned before that there was some kind of "plastic panels"?  Help?

Thanks!
Re: A mini-preliminary review, plus a pressing question.
Reply #68 Jan 12, 2010 9:25 PM
elisa wrote:
I just received my king Latex mattress and mathing foundation a couple of hours ago.  I was so eager to test it out that I crawled into the middle, pulled a blanket on top of me and conked out.  It felt WONDERFUL, which was a surprise, since 1) I expected it to be far too soft for me, as I prefer a firm mattress feel, and 2) I didn't flip it to the "firmer" side, I just tested it as-is. 
I'm not sure, just yet, if this is a testament to the quality of this bed or to the horrendous quality of my previous bed, but so far, so good.  I'll happily provide a better and more thorough review after I've actually put bedding on it and had some sleep in it.

That said, I have a very pressing question for those of you that have received the FOUNDATION for this mattress.  Can you please help me figure out if I have a problem with my foundation? I have a feeling that something must be missing.  What I received was a black powder-coated steel foundation (in two parts, since this is a king, they'd be 2 TwinXL foundation pieces).  So far so good.  On top of this, I fully expected there to be something flat -- something to distribute the weight evenly across the metal foundation and prevent sag.  There is nothing -- they brought in the king mattress and plopped it right down on top of the metal frame, directly.  I didn't notice it until I went to get UP from the bed after my test nap, but the corners sink and disappear down into the holes in the frame with any pressure.  That cannot possibly be a good thing, or intended, right?  An attempt to lay on one SIDE of the bed, as we would need to when sharing the bed, was very uncomfortable and uneven, the mattress trying to slide down into the frame beneath me. 

Can anyone verify my concerns before I start trying to track down my missing piece(s)?  I saw it mentioned before that there was some kind of "plastic panels"?  Help?

Thanks!

You're definitely missing the "plastic panels" which are only thick enough to evenly distribute the load across the foundation.  In my opinion, I would prefer to use 1/4" plywood with a bunch of 2" holes drilled in it to distribute the load as well as allow the latex to breathe, but the plastic panels do the job.  If I recall correctly, the panels should be in the box with the foundation and are grey/white.  There should be one for each individual foundation.  They come folded up but once unfolded and laid out, they are held in place by black plastic pegs. 

If the movers assembled in the warehouse as directed by Costco/South Bay they probably left them there.  Hopefully they assembled at your house like they did for us, so we could verify it was done correctly and all the pieces were included.  Even if that's the case, I could see how these could be mistaken for trash.

I hope this helps. 

I would probably avoid sleeping on the mattress without the panels or plywood beneath the mattress.  Although damage to the mattress is probably unlikely, I would err on the side of caution. 

This message was modified Jan 12, 2010 by engra
Reply #69 Jan 13, 2010 1:31 AM
I flipped an old oak entertainment center, sturdy thing, it is, with 5/8 inch plywood on top. DO I NEED TO DRILL HOLES IN THE WOOD? I suppose I should do this before the mattress gets here!? I am so very grateful for this site.  

Recent Posts