New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Dec 1, 2009 9:33 PM
Hi, I have been looking for a new mattress and when I was researching Latex mattresses I found this site. I had already decided to try a latex mattress before coming here and from what I have read I am more convinced that is what I want. My husband noticed a new latex mattress listed on the Costco site and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I know it is new, but I thought maybe someone might have some comments that might help. Here are the highlights of the bed components - we would be getting a King size with the foundation and at $1499.99 it seems like a steal. I know we would be sacrificing the ability to customize the firmness on each side but is it worth $1000.00 for that??? Here are the list of latex layers - Four layers of 100% natural latex for unsurpassed comfort: Layer 1 – 1” 19 ILD natural latex – soft layer Layer 2 – 2” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Layer 3 – 4” of 32 ILD natural latex – support layer Layer 4 – 3” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Two mattresses in one! Due to its unique construction, the Sleep Science Natural Comfort Latex Mattress allows you to sleep on either the top or bottom of the mattress. Each side has been engineered for a slightly different feel, one softer than the other. The Sleep Science Natural Latex Mattress is two high quality mattresses in one. The mattress is delivered with layer 1 (softer sleep surface) on the top. For a firmer sleep surface, remove the mattress from the cover, flip the mattress, put the cover back on and enjoy a firmer sleep surface. 100% Natural Latex. Certified by the ECO-INSTITUT as 100% Dunlop processed natural latex. Sleep Science Natural Comfort 10” Latex mattress fits the dimensions of your bed Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633-Federal flammability (open flame) standards Limited Warranty: 20 years against manufacturer defects Hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and dust mite resistant This luxurious, health promoting mattress comes with a beautiful silk blend and micro-suede mattress cover Sleep Science Softness Scale – Soft/Medium on one side and Medium on the other Here is the link if you would like to look at all the info - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11496053&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|4914|4916&N=4001838&Mo=39&pos=0&No=31&ViewAll=40&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4916&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC850-Cat4914&topnav= Thanks again for your help! I am so glad I found this forum! Brenda
Re: New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Reply #3 Dec 2, 2009 11:53 AM
Good find.  I look at Costco all the time and I never saw that.  Even when I go to the costco website and search on latex mattress I don't find it.  Sounds like a good price with a good return policy. 

However, I agree that it might not a firm enough base unless the Dunlop is significantly firmer than Talatech.  Plus no ability to customize it to personal needs.  Also, it is not clear who is manufacturing it, so quality and consistency might be an issue.  So, a bit of a gamble but not much to lose.

I wonder if all of the layers are glued together?  The cover does come off.

When I purchased a mattress from Costco they delivered and installed it, and came to pick it up when I returned it.  Didn't cost me a penny.  It also came much quicker than the 4-6 week time frame.  I think I had it in less than 2 weeks. 

However, I would call their customer service in advance to see how to return this one.  I think it depends on the mattress whether or not you have to return it to the store.  This one is probably heavy enough that they would come pick it up. 

This message was modified Dec 2, 2009 by sandman
Reply #4 Dec 2, 2009 1:58 PM
Dunlap is significantly heavier, and feels much firmer (IMO) due to it's density than 100% natural talalay with the same ILD. I can't speak for blended talalay.
Reply #5 Dec 2, 2009 5:17 PM
Thanks for your input. I am fairly small 5' medium build and my husband is 6" medium build and we both want a softer feeling bed with good support. We are thinking about getting two of the mattresses for our sons so we may just use them as our guinea pigs! I suppose we could always buy latex layers in the future too if we really don't like the feel of the latex. The mattress cover must zip off because it says you can flip the inner mattress to a softer or firmer side.
Reply #6 Dec 4, 2009 7:26 AM
I have been researching mattresses for quite some time and have concluded that the latex mattress is probably the best out there for comfort and quality based on reviews. The Dunlop process seems to be a little more tried and tested but both are probably good. My wife and I bought a Nova Foam mattress from Costco last year and hated it...It was not comfortable and the worst thing was that it slept very hot. Supposedly the latex does not? At any event, I have ordered the new Sleep Science latex mattress from Costco and am waiting for delivery. I did not order the foundation but called the company to see what I would need to do in order to use my existing box springs. They said to put 3/4 plywood over the box springs and we should be fine. Apparently their box springs are metal and they provide some sort of hard plastic to cover it. The company web site (http://www.sbsleepscience.com/index.php) is extremely weak but I would recommend if you have any questions that you call the customer service department. The girl that answered the phone was friendly and somewhat knowledgeable. This is a new product for them and they do not have a lot of information on it other than what is posted.

As soon as I get the bed I will post and update but in the meantime I am still looking for alternatives in case this one doesn't meet our expectations. There is actually a Stearns and Foster latex bed that also looks interesting. Any thoughts on this bed would be appreciated as Costco is great about returns and I really want a good and comfortable bed.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspxProdid=11479281&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|1924|67410&N=4018918&Mo=24&pos=1&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=67410&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC11879-Cat1924&topnav= 

Reply #7 Dec 4, 2009 11:36 AM
I have found that an all latex bed can be pretty warm, but I seem to be in an minority opinion on that. If you are easily bothered by heat it might be an issue.  Definitely seems warmer than the old firm innerspring mattresses to me.  It also depends on what cover they put on it and the mattress pad you use.  However, I think an type of foam of a certain density is going to retain heat.  That is my experience at least.
Reply #8 Dec 4, 2009 4:28 PM
This business of flipping and all 100% natural latex mattress, I believe you said it was king-size, concerns me. My three layer +2 inch top layer 100% natural botanically grown latex California king mattress weighs in excess of 150 pounds. And it's not going to handle like 150 pound barbell. I have likened movie latex to handling a stupefied drunk person. It is a very sloppy and hard to handle. I just moved 4 half pieces of latex,(apx 25lb ea.) and although I have a bad back, and use a back brace, my back was protesting loudly!

So you better have two people who are "very stout" if you're going to try to flip that kind of a mattress.
This message was modified Dec 4, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #9 Dec 5, 2009 11:10 AM
This is hands down the very best deal I have seen on a latex mattress from any retailer since I have been on this board. Here is the link to it.  If this would have been available when I bought my latex mattress from FBM, I would have jumped it.  And contrary to all the negative press that FBM receives on this board,  I love my current mattress, it is an excellent product!  This one from Costco really has everything going for it.... except that its not talalay.  An excellent price ($1200/king - $1000/Queen), the unbeatable Costco return policy, two different firmnesses to sleep on,  a nice looking cover, free delivery.....Wow!   Yes, Eagle, it would be heavy to flip over but all of these latex mattresses are very heavy.  I worry about eventually moving and know that I've got my work cut out for me.  What's good about this mattress is that it actually has two different firmness layers to try, that for sure outweighs :) any hassle in flipping it over. It also wouldn't be something you'd be doing every week.

The Dunlop process is very much tried and true.  There are reports that some of the Sears Dunlop mattress made many years ago with the Dunlop process lasted 40+ years, and that even some are still being used.  It is a slightly different and firmer feel to it.  You could probably add a few points to the ILD numbers to be similar to the feel of a Talalay mattress, but it does have a slightly different feel, nonetheless.  I have a local mattress maker nearby in Portland Oregon who makes a 6" Dunlop 30ILD, topped with a 2" Talalay 20ILD with a very, very nice cover on it that sells for quite a bit more than this.  He's been making these latex mattresses for many years and told me that 80% of the population does just fine with those ILD specs.  He said there are people that need a very soft and/or firm mattress but they are in the minority.  Most people just have a poor mattress right now and they're not sleeping well on it and thats why they think they need something far outside the norm. 

This Costco offer does say that it is a limited time offer and that its good until Jan 3, 2010.  If there's anyone on the fence out there that wanted to try out Latex, this is about as good as it gets.  The great thing about Costco is that they are one of the very few companys left that are truly interested in the customer's satisfaction. 

Reply #10 Dec 5, 2009 1:44 PM
I absolutely agree with Bill.  Like Bill, I too bought my latex bed from FBM, and I have been completely satisfied.  If this was around when I was shopping for a latex mattress, there would have been no hesitation on my part about which mattress to get.  This is an absolute steal.  To sweeten the deal, Costco's return policy and customer service is unbeatable. 
Reply #11 Dec 5, 2009 5:11 PM
As stated above I am waiting for deliver on my Sleep Science Latex king mattress from Costco, but I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on this Stearns and Foster Latex bed. It also seems like a killer deal from Costco...Thanks! 

The

Dover Court
features top-of-the-line Euro Pillowtop construction with a luxurious ultra plush feel.  Supple comfort and resilient support are the hallmarks of this upscale Latex sleep set.$19,999.99

• Bed frame not included
  • King set includes: 2-pc box spring set
  • Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633 - Federal flammability (open flame) standards
  • Luxurious Knit Cover
  • FlameGuard™ High Loft Fiber
  • 1” Hypersoft®
  • .4" Smart Latex™
  • 2" Infinilux® with VRT™
  • .79" Smart Latex™
  • Versare Inner Panel
  • 3" IntuiSoft™ Smart Latex™
  • 8.75" Smart Latex™ Support Core
  • Cloth handles
  • Metal corner guards
  • LTD™ Low Profile Box Spring
  • Mattress thickness: 16.5”
  • Box Spring thickness: 5”
  • 20 Year Limited Warranty, 10 Years Non-Prorated
  • King 3-pc Mattress Set dimensions:
    76” W x 80” L x 21.5” H
    Weight:   271 lbs
Reply #12 Dec 5, 2009 6:41 PM
BillB wrote:
This is hands down the very best deal I have seen on a

The Dunlop process is very much tried and true.  There are reports that some of the Sears latex mattress from any retailer since I have been on this board. Here is the link to it.  If this would have been available when I bought my latex mattress from FBM, I would have jumped it.  And contrary to all the negative press that FBM receives on this board,  I love my current mattress, it is an excellent product!  This one from Costco really has everything going for it.... 1)except that its not talalay.  An excellent price ($1200/king - $1000/Queen), the unbeatable Costco return policy, two different firmnesses to sleep on,  a nice looking cover, free delivery.....Wow!   Yes, Eagle, it would be heavy to flip over but all of these latex mattresses are very heavy.  I worry about eventually moving and know that I've got my work cut out for me.  What's good about this mattress is that it actually has two different firmness layers to try, that for sure outweighs :) any hassle in flipping it over.

It also wouldn't be something you'd be doing every week. 2)Dunlop mattress made many years ago with the Dunlop process lasted 40+ years, and that even some are still being used.  It is a slightly different and firmer feel to it.  You could probably add a few points to the ILD numbers to be similar to the feel of a Talalay mattress, but it does have a slightly different feel, nonetheless.  I have a local mattress maker nearby in Portland Oregon who makes a 6" Dunlop 30ILD, topped with a 2" Talalay 20ILD with a very, very nice cover on it that sells for quite a bit more than this.  He's been making these latex mattresses for many years and told me that 80% of the population does just fine with those ILD specs.  He said there are people that need a very soft and/or firm mattress but they are in the minority.  Most people just have a poor mattress right now and they're not sleeping well on it and thats why they think they need something far outside the norm. 

This Costco offer does say that it is a limited time offer and that its good until Jan 3, 2010.  If there's anyone on the fence out there that wanted to try out Latex, this is about as good as it gets.  The great thing about Costco is that they are one of the very few companys left that are truly interested in the customer's satisfaction. 

+1 all of the above, except that #1)  may actually be an advantage to some, because of #2).  & i think i'm actually in the minority who prefers the real firm mattresses. but now, unless i get brave enough to buy a cheap englander only to cut it open &^ rebuild it, i keep gravitating back toward this "just try quality latex for cheap" option.  just for it's value for 100% botanical, high convenience, low risk return if it doesn't work put etc. because i know the reality is these low i.l.d.'s are unlikely to be firm enough for me- but i COULD possibly buy this, & along with a super firm dunlop or even talalay topper off the internet.  then it would be o.t.t. thick with no chance of bottoming out, & as firm as i could posibly get with latex topper.

<edited irrelevant review>

This message was modified Dec 6, 2009 by JasonRatky

Recent Posts