New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Dec 1, 2009 9:33 PM
Hi, I have been looking for a new mattress and when I was researching Latex mattresses I found this site. I had already decided to try a latex mattress before coming here and from what I have read I am more convinced that is what I want. My husband noticed a new latex mattress listed on the Costco site and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I know it is new, but I thought maybe someone might have some comments that might help. Here are the highlights of the bed components - we would be getting a King size with the foundation and at $1499.99 it seems like a steal. I know we would be sacrificing the ability to customize the firmness on each side but is it worth $1000.00 for that??? Here are the list of latex layers - Four layers of 100% natural latex for unsurpassed comfort: Layer 1 – 1” 19 ILD natural latex – soft layer Layer 2 – 2” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Layer 3 – 4” of 32 ILD natural latex – support layer Layer 4 – 3” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Two mattresses in one! Due to its unique construction, the Sleep Science Natural Comfort Latex Mattress allows you to sleep on either the top or bottom of the mattress. Each side has been engineered for a slightly different feel, one softer than the other. The Sleep Science Natural Latex Mattress is two high quality mattresses in one. The mattress is delivered with layer 1 (softer sleep surface) on the top. For a firmer sleep surface, remove the mattress from the cover, flip the mattress, put the cover back on and enjoy a firmer sleep surface. 100% Natural Latex. Certified by the ECO-INSTITUT as 100% Dunlop processed natural latex. Sleep Science Natural Comfort 10” Latex mattress fits the dimensions of your bed Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633-Federal flammability (open flame) standards Limited Warranty: 20 years against manufacturer defects Hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and dust mite resistant This luxurious, health promoting mattress comes with a beautiful silk blend and micro-suede mattress cover Sleep Science Softness Scale – Soft/Medium on one side and Medium on the other Here is the link if you would like to look at all the info - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11496053&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|4914|4916&N=4001838&Mo=39&pos=0&No=31&ViewAll=40&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4916&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC850-Cat4914&topnav= Thanks again for your help! I am so glad I found this forum! Brenda
Re: New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Reply #168 May 2, 2010 2:10 PM
pryncesslia wrote:

Our two Costco Sleep Science beds were delivered on Saturday morning! Here's my review:

First, about the delivery. I found the delivery company to be professional and friendly. They called to schedule the delivery, called again when they were on their way and arrived on time (a little early even). They assembled the foundations on my front lawn and seemed to know what they were doing; they were quick and efficient. They set up the beds in the order I requested and exactly as I instructed. I have absolutely no complaints.

Second, the foundations. They are made of metal tubing, with plastic top panels to support the mattress and then all covered with a cloth cover. They seem very sturdy and since these two beds are for my kids, I have no doubt they will be more than adequate. The cover has tan sueded material around the edges to match the lower part of the mattress cover and together they look nicely matched.

Third, the mattresses. I can't imagine how anyone would describe them as too hard or firm. They are too soft for my husband and I (we are larger people), but should be fine for our kids. I do find them comfortable for brief lounging and snuggling with the kids, but just about bottom out at the edge when sitting to get in or out of the bed (for reference, I am 5'-7" and 240 lbs). I haven't slept in one all night yet, but my husband did and said it was too soft, but still better than our awfull inner-spring that we are about to replace. He had some minor back pain upon moving around the next morning. The cover is nice thought nothing spectacular. The upper portion is white cotton material, the lower is tan sueded material. I haven't opened them up, so can't comment on the interior. They were delivered already inside the mattress cover and rolled up in a plastic casing. The delivery men cut open the casing right on top of the foundation. They said it would take about 2 hours for it to fully decompress, but I didn't notice much of a difference 2 hours later. The mattresses definitely have a latex smell. I've heard others describe it as sweet or cookie dough-ish, but I didn't not find it that pleasant. It also wasn't a foul odor, just noticeable. Once they had been sitting a while and had the Luna mattress pads and sheets on them it was only detectable by putting your nose right into the mattress. I found they smell almost exactly like the JC Penney latex pillows I recently purchased, so I don't think their smell was unusual or indicitive of a quality issue.

Overall, I think was a good buy (for smaller people, or those who like soft beds). These are our first latex mattresses and I love the substance and weight of them. So much nicer than the bouncy-ness of an inner-spring mattress.

I disagree. The metal foundation is a bad joke. It is poorly thought of and is not supporting the mattress lying on it. They should not be selling this metal foundation at all.

Reply #169 May 2, 2010 8:41 PM
So my girlfriend and I have been sleeping on the Sleep Science latex mattress (cal king) for about 5 days now.  The first 2 nights we slept on it we both agreed it was much firmer than either of us were used to or liked.  I went ahead and took the 3in of talalay latex (not sure ILD?) from my old queen bed and put it right on top.  3in of Talalay on this bed makes it basically the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on.  It is fantastic.  Now I am just trying to decide what 3in cal king topper I should buy, but since I have no way of knowing the ILD of my queen topper I bought 5 years ago off ebay Im kinda stuck.  Im thinking 3in of the 15ILD Celsion from Sleeplikeabear might be our best choice, but 700 dollars is a steep bet when I dont know if my old talalay was 15 ILD or 30ILD. I suspect it was more in the 16-25 range but I dont know.
Reply #170 May 2, 2010 9:56 PM
HI Carachi,

I agree that the bed is firmer than I like. I am going to try out my old 1" memory foam tonight, then put another inch on it tomorrow night and see which I like better. Then I have to figure out what density latex is similar to the memory foam. But I have to ask...if you are going to spend $700 on a topper, why not return it and go with a Flobed or SleepEz that you can customize? I think that is what I will do if I don't like the configuration I have.

Reply #171 May 3, 2010 12:10 AM
I have no interest in returning the SS bed because I like the support it provides. Plus for 10in of Latex it pretty much doesnt get any cheaper.  Going with a SS from costco + 700 dollar topper = 1950 bucks for a cal king.  Going with Flobed 12in or SleepEz 13000 = 2400-2900 for less than 13in of latex, and I won't have the benefit of a Top layer being Celsion (Im a very hot sleeper).  If I decided to go with RMM instead for the 3in topper it becomes even cheaper for a 13in full latex bed with pure dunlop support and a talalay top. 
<br><br>  Also I know that my GF and I are very comfortable on the SS bed with 3in of Talay on top, and why mess with a good thing :)

<br><br>  BTW you are never going to find a density of latex that is similar to memory foam.  The two products are night and day.  Still I dont see anything wrong with a few inches on memory foam on top of the SS bed, especially if its comfortable to you.

This message was modified May 3, 2010 by Carachi
Reply #172 May 3, 2010 12:17 AM
Carachi, you're bang on.  Why mess with something that is working, and less expensive than either Flobeds or Sleepez!

Diane

Reply #173 May 3, 2010 9:39 AM
Carachi wrote:

I have no interest in returning the SS bed because I like the support it provides. Plus for 10in of Latex it pretty much doesnt get any cheaper.  Going with a SS from costco + 700 dollar topper = 1950 bucks for a cal king.  Going with Flobed 12in or SleepEz 13000 = 2400-2900 for less than 13in of latex, and I won't have the benefit of a Top layer being Celsion (Im a very hot sleeper).  If I decided to go with RMM instead for the 3in topper it becomes even cheaper for a 13in full latex bed with pure dunlop support and a talalay top. 
<br><br>  Also I know that my GF and I are very comfortable on the SS bed with 3in of Talay on top, and why mess with a good thing :)

<br><br>  BTW you are never going to find a density of latex that is similar to memory foam.  The two products are night and day.  Still I dont see anything wrong with a few inches on memory foam on top of the SS bed, especially if its comfortable to you.

You're right - I was considering that I paid $1500 with the foundation, so my thinking was that it would have been closer to $2200 with the topper...but then I wouldn't get the foundation with the Flobed or SleepEz without extra money. I just want a soft topper, but the memory foam makes me very hot. I tried the 1" last night (from my old queen bed) and was hot and had some lower back stiffness. I'm going to double it tonight and see what the difference is. I want a latex topper because I've heard that it doesn't sleep as hot as memory foam.

Reply #174 Jul 19, 2010 3:42 AM
I just wanted to add my experience to the pile here.  We purchased the Eastern King Costco Sleep Science 10" latex mattress w/ foundation and it arrived about a month ago.  Overall, I have been very pleased with the mattress.  I am a very heavy person and I was getting hip pain from side-sleeping.  I would have to wake and turn over multiple times per night.  In the last month, I can't remember waking before the alarm went off in the morning.  It's so nice! We did not flip, so I assume we still have the soft side up.  I was concerned that with my weight 10" would not be enough or that this particular mattress would be too soft.  I have found neither to be the case.  My 155-pound husband also likes the mattress (but he can sleep on almost anything).

The biggest problem we've had is...you guessed it... the foundation.  It really is awful.  I tried hard to like it.  It didn't squeak too badly the first few days.  Then it started, and got worse.  Plus, whenever I sat down on my knee or otherwise did not apply even pressure, I heard the plastic crackling.  There are clearly areas with poor support.  While I am sure people like it, it will not work for us.  So, I have started the return process.  

In place of the Costco foundation, we purchased a new bed frame from IKEA along with the Sultan Laxeby slatted base.  It's the most expensive at $200 for the king.  The new frame and base are much more expensive than the Costco frame.  However, you get what you pay for.  There is a "spring" with the new base that was lacking before.  Plus, the base can be adjusted on both sides for different firmness levels.  We've been experimenting and just a small adjustment makes a big change.

I think we will be very happy with the Sleep Science mattress and I'm glad Costco has such a great return policy.  I have been dreading buying a mattress for years because I can't tell in a store how I'm going to like a mattress long-term.  Not feeling that stress has been wonderful.

Reply #175 Jul 19, 2010 2:50 PM
calliaz wrote:

I just wanted to add my experience to the pile here.  We purchased the Eastern King Costco Sleep Science 10" latex mattress w/ foundation and it arrived about a month ago.  Overall, I have been very pleased with the mattress.  I am a very heavy person and I was getting hip pain from side-sleeping.  I would have to wake and turn over multiple times per night.  In the last month, I can't remember waking before the alarm went off in the morning.  It's so nice! We did not flip, so I assume we still have the soft side up.  I was concerned that with my weight 10" would not be enough or that this particular mattress would be too soft.  I have found neither to be the case.  My 155-pound husband also likes the mattress (but he can sleep on almost anything).

The biggest problem we've had is...you guessed it... the foundation.  It really is awful.  I tried hard to like it.  It didn't squeak too badly the first few days.  Then it started, and got worse.  Plus, whenever I sat down on my knee or otherwise did not apply even pressure, I heard the plastic crackling.  There are clearly areas with poor support.  While I am sure people like it, it will not work for us.  So, I have started the return process.  

In place of the Costco foundation, we purchased a new bed frame from IKEA along with the Sultan Laxeby slatted base.  It's the most expensive at $200 for the king.  The new frame and base are much more expensive than the Costco frame.  However, you get what you pay for.  There is a "spring" with the new base that was lacking before.  Plus, the base can be adjusted on both sides for different firmness levels.  We've been experimenting and just a small adjustment makes a big change.

I think we will be very happy with the Sleep Science mattress and I'm glad Costco has such a great return policy.  I have been dreading buying a mattress for years because I can't tell in a store how I'm going to like a mattress long-term.  Not feeling that stress has been wonderful.

Hi: How do you adjust the firmness levels with the slattted base?

Will the latex mattress become firm if you are able to adjust the firmness level? I mean if you have soft side of latex on upside how can it feel firm by adjusting the slatted base?

This is very confusing.

Reply #176 Jul 20, 2010 1:17 AM
Roy,

The slatted base has 42 slats.  Of those slats, 15 have double slats.  When the two slats are adjusted to be held tightly together, they are firmer.  When you adjust the slider so that the slats are apart, it's softer.  I can't say if the foundation will make the mattress itself firmer.  However, the IKEA base is more firm than the Costco base.  So, by changing the base I did adjust the firmness of the overall combination.  The firmest possible would be to put the mattress on a concrete floor, but that's not really good for the mattress.  But, doing that would tell you how firm the mattress itself is, I guess.

Reply #177 Jul 20, 2010 8:59 PM
calliaz wrote:

Roy,

The slatted base has 42 slats.  Of those slats, 15 have double slats.  When the two slats are adjusted to be held tightly together, they are firmer.  When you adjust the slider so that the slats are apart, it's softer.  I can't say if the foundation will make the mattress itself firmer.  However, the IKEA base is more firm than the Costco base.  So, by changing the base I did adjust the firmness of the overall combination.  The firmest possible would be to put the mattress on a concrete floor, but that's not really good for the mattress.  But, doing that would tell you how firm the mattress itself is, I guess.

Hi Thanks so much.

I am technically challenged.

How hard is it to put the IKEA bed together?

and what about the slats? How do you put them together and how do you attach them to the bed if they do not come already attached to the bed.

Thanks.

Recent Posts