New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Dec 1, 2009 9:33 PM
Hi, I have been looking for a new mattress and when I was researching Latex mattresses I found this site. I had already decided to try a latex mattress before coming here and from what I have read I am more convinced that is what I want. My husband noticed a new latex mattress listed on the Costco site and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I know it is new, but I thought maybe someone might have some comments that might help. Here are the highlights of the bed components - we would be getting a King size with the foundation and at $1499.99 it seems like a steal. I know we would be sacrificing the ability to customize the firmness on each side but is it worth $1000.00 for that??? Here are the list of latex layers - Four layers of 100% natural latex for unsurpassed comfort: Layer 1 – 1” 19 ILD natural latex – soft layer Layer 2 – 2” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Layer 3 – 4” of 32 ILD natural latex – support layer Layer 4 – 3” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Two mattresses in one! Due to its unique construction, the Sleep Science Natural Comfort Latex Mattress allows you to sleep on either the top or bottom of the mattress. Each side has been engineered for a slightly different feel, one softer than the other. The Sleep Science Natural Latex Mattress is two high quality mattresses in one. The mattress is delivered with layer 1 (softer sleep surface) on the top. For a firmer sleep surface, remove the mattress from the cover, flip the mattress, put the cover back on and enjoy a firmer sleep surface. 100% Natural Latex. Certified by the ECO-INSTITUT as 100% Dunlop processed natural latex. Sleep Science Natural Comfort 10” Latex mattress fits the dimensions of your bed Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633-Federal flammability (open flame) standards Limited Warranty: 20 years against manufacturer defects Hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and dust mite resistant This luxurious, health promoting mattress comes with a beautiful silk blend and micro-suede mattress cover Sleep Science Softness Scale – Soft/Medium on one side and Medium on the other Here is the link if you would like to look at all the info - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11496053&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|4914|4916&N=4001838&Mo=39&pos=0&No=31&ViewAll=40&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4916&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC850-Cat4914&topnav= Thanks again for your help! I am so glad I found this forum! Brenda
Re: New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Reply #157 Apr 5, 2010 11:20 PM
jst4fun wrote:

quick update after couple months with our cal King latex bed...  1. Remember they sometimes ship with the more firm side up, and you need to flip.  see earlier in this thread for details.  2. the foundation SQUEAKS.  Not at first, but slowly it is getting worse and worse.  to the point where I can hear it when either of us roll around at night.  I tried tightening some of the knobs at the MANY MANY joints of the metal foundation, but it didn't seem to make a difference.  could be the few I couldn't reach, but I'm likely going to return or call customer service.  3. we got the cuddle bed topper from costco, which adds just a tiny bit of cushion.  not as soft as when we tried 1" of memory foam, but it improves the feel, without reducing how supporting the mattress is.

This is what I was afraid of with this foundation. All of that metal is bound to start squeaking eventually. What would you or anyone suggest for a foundation for $300 instead of this one?

Any S-Company ones? Ikea? Tempurpedic? We have a squeaking mattress now, I don't want a new one to squeak or make noise.

Reply #158 Apr 9, 2010 2:10 PM
We just bought 2 double/full size mattresses with foundations for our kids. I never thought we'd be able to afford to outfit the whole family with new latex mattresses, but this price made it possible. I hope they are as good as the reviews indicate. Since our kids are still small (and light in weight) I figure they should work out just fine. I'll report back after they arrive. Thanks for the heads up on the fact they were available again.

Now on to getting a SleepEZ 1300 for hubby and I...

Reply #159 Apr 10, 2010 9:20 PM
Just curious - have any of you who ordered this mattress this month heard anything regarding shipment?

And is there anyway on this forum to be notified when someone replies to a post you have started or are following?

This message was modified Apr 10, 2010 by Q119
Reply #160 Apr 17, 2010 3:58 AM
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the website and to mattress buying in general. I spent about the last 15 years of my life sleeping on the same futon since elementary school so anything to me will be a great upgrade. I just bought a Stearns & Foster Hearthstone Firm II full sized bed and I like it but I want to give the latex a try. Thanks to you all I just ordered a queen sized Sleep Science 10" bed with the matching foundation. After spending $1000 on headphones and $1300 on this bed my wallet is so light that it's almost floating off my desk right now as I type this . I can't wait to lay down on this mattress and I hope that I made the right decision. It seems like a win / win situation especially since if for some reason you don't like the bed then costco will pick it up and refund you with no questions asked.
Reply #161 Apr 21, 2010 4:25 PM
Mine are being delivered Saturday morning. Will report back after we get them set up and have the opportunity to lay on them a bit. I'm excited!
Reply #162 Apr 23, 2010 5:55 PM
mc4nam wrote:

This is what I was afraid of with this foundation. All of that metal is bound to start squeaking eventually. What would you or anyone suggest for a foundation for $300 instead of this one?

Any S-Company ones? Ikea? Tempurpedic? We have a squeaking mattress now, I don't want a new one to squeak or make noise.

UPDATE... I called their support, and they admitted they have had reports of squeaky frames.  Said they've used same frame for years, and hadn't had problems, think it is potentially one bad batch.  Asked me if I wanted exchange, and I declined. They said they can initiate a partial return, and scheduled a pickup, which they did TODAY.  I decided not to take chances, and bought the tempurpedic full price frame ($500).  Hopefully only $100 over the credit I will get.

Separately... I'm currently using 1" memory foam + the cuddlebed topper, and pretty happy with this setup.  haven't had back pain in many weeks now.  Also trying the tempur neck pillow, which is interesting to get used to, but does feel like it holds my head at correct angle.

Reply #163 Apr 25, 2010 4:47 PM
Are you all using a mattress pad with this mattress? Or just the cover that comes with it and a fitted sheet?
Reply #164 Apr 26, 2010 7:59 AM
After 2 nights on this thing, it is hard as a brick! I don't know how anyone could possibly think it was too soft (and yes, I have the "soft" side up).

Did anyone that thought it was too firm find a resolution? Is a 1" memory foam topper really going to do the trick?

This message was modified Apr 26, 2010 by tranceFusion
Reply #165 Apr 26, 2010 5:34 PM
Our two Costco Sleep Science beds were delivered on Saturday morning! Here's my review:

First, about the delivery. I found the delivery company to be professional and friendly. They called to schedule the delivery, called again when they were on their way and arrived on time (a little early even). They assembled the foundations on my front lawn and seemed to know what they were doing; they were quick and efficient. They set up the beds in the order I requested and exactly as I instructed. I have absolutely no complaints.

Second, the foundations. They are made of metal tubing, with plastic top panels to support the mattress and then all covered with a cloth cover. They seem very sturdy and since these two beds are for my kids, I have no doubt they will be more than adequate. The cover has tan sueded material around the edges to match the lower part of the mattress cover and together they look nicely matched.

Third, the mattresses. I can't imagine how anyone would describe them as too hard or firm. They are too soft for my husband and I (we are larger people), but should be fine for our kids. I do find them comfortable for brief lounging and snuggling with the kids, but just about bottom out at the edge when sitting to get in or out of the bed (for reference, I am 5'-7" and 240 lbs). I haven't slept in one all night yet, but my husband did and said it was too soft, but still better than our awfull inner-spring that we are about to replace. He had some minor back pain upon moving around the next morning. The cover is nice thought nothing spectacular. The upper portion is white cotton material, the lower is tan sueded material. I haven't opened them up, so can't comment on the interior. They were delivered already inside the mattress cover and rolled up in a plastic casing. The delivery men cut open the casing right on top of the foundation. They said it would take about 2 hours for it to fully decompress, but I didn't notice much of a difference 2 hours later. The mattresses definitely have a latex smell. I've heard others describe it as sweet or cookie dough-ish, but I didn't not find it that pleasant. It also wasn't a foul odor, just noticeable. Once they had been sitting a while and had the Luna mattress pads and sheets on them it was only detectable by putting your nose right into the mattress. I found they smell almost exactly like the JC Penney latex pillows I recently purchased, so I don't think their smell was unusual or indicitive of a quality issue.

Overall, I think was a good buy (for smaller people, or those who like soft beds). These are our first latex mattresses and I love the substance and weight of them. So much nicer than the bouncy-ness of an inner-spring mattress.

Reply #166 Apr 28, 2010 10:50 AM
My bed wasn't scheduled to arrive until 5/10, but much to my surprise the delivery people called this morning and delivered it an hour later! Delivery was great, friendly and professional. I will post more about the mattress (king size) after sleeping on it tonight, but initial thoughts are that it's softer than I expected and very nice looking with the mattress and foundation covers. The delivery guy said that he's delivered about 100 of these and has only picked one back up for a return.

Recent Posts