Need to Sleep on a Budget
Dec 6, 2010 6:29 PM
First off, let me apologize up front for jumping the gun by posting this request for help right away.   I've read through random posts over the last 6 pages of this forum, but being as tired as I am its hard to make much sense of it and to go on reading more.  I was pretty close to making an uninformed purchase yesterday or today.  I was gonna go with either a $700 Serta Trump Home mattress (this was what I considered the high end of my price range) or just go really cheap for now with a lower end $400 Serta mattress.  Then I found this forum with the general consensus being that S-brands are crap and now I don't know what to do.

The problem is it seems, from what I've read, to get a decent mattress you have to spend $1000+ to get even a decent mattress.  That's a little out of my price range, I'm 26, single, and fresh out of college and don't really have that sort of money to spend on a mattress right now.  I just need something cheaper that will be nice and comfortable for a good 5-6 years.  Anything will be better than my current situation, a $100 8-inch futon mattress that I've had since September.  I haven't had a good nights sleep in weeks, I wake up every hour or 2 because its so uncomfortable and I have to to readjust.  I took the mattress off the frame the other week because the bars were poking through, but now I just feel the floor through the mattress. 

For the six years before that, I slept on another $100 futon mattress, but it had springs and was at least comfortable for about a year.  Before that I slept on a twin mattress my parents bought me from the age of 3 to the age of 19.  So in my 26 years of life, I've had a pretty crappy sleep history. 

Sorry for going off-topic there, just wanted to share how desperate I am for a good nights sleep.  Here are the qualities I'm looking for in a mattress:

- Firm to med-firm core (I'm a stomach sleeper)

- Reasonably soft upper layers, but don't want to sink into them too far.

- Something that doesn't get too hot.  I live in Phoenix and I had a girlfriend with a memory foam mattress and couldn't stand it, it got way too hot. 

Right now I'm leaning towards the cheap $400 mattress, I mean it will last me a couple years at least right?  I really don't think I can make it through another week of research, I am just too damn tired.  I realize this is my fault for waiting to the last minute.  Anyways thanks in advance for any input.

Re: Need to Sleep on a Budget
Reply #5 Dec 7, 2010 1:30 PM
Cowboy, thanks for the suggestions.  I haven't done much research on Latex because I thought they would be out of my price range, but that link you sent looks promising.  Hopefully I can try out some Latex mattresses when I visit the AZ Premium Mattress warehouse and that will give me an idea on the ILD's i like.  I am about 5'5" and 130lbs so I don't need the firmest mattress, but I do sleep on my stomach most of the time.  Also thanks for the coupon!

I've heard that Latex doesn't have the heat storage problem like memory foam, but how does it compare to a normal interspring mattress with no latex/foam layers?

This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by MrThunderMakeR
Reply #6 Dec 7, 2010 2:24 PM
You are welcome,

I've heard that Latex doesn't have the heat storage problem like memory foam, but how does it compare to a normal interspring mattress with no latex/foam layers?

Honestly it's been a long time ago, that I slept on a mattress without some type of foam and I'm guessing you would be looking at some premium dollars to find one.  Again, I'm not the expert here but foam is such a common ingredient in most mattresses to cushion the intersprings.  It has an impressive feel when you first try it out but one often doesn't realize how warm they get after a few hours of laying one. The worst in my experience was my 3" memory foam topper on a latex core.  It felt really good when I set it up at home in the cool part of the year, although I noticed the extra warmth even in the winter.  I would sink into the foam so much, by the time summer rolled around I felt like a turkey in a roasting bag.  After 26 months the foam would no longer hold me up and being a side sleeper, I would wakeup with lower back aches and sore shoulders, (I'm 6-3 and 230lbs.).  I recently replaced the memory foam with a 3" latex topper from Az. Mattress, http://mattresses.net/3-king-latex-mattress-pad.html.  It's dunlop latex, so it's a little more firm than the Talalay, but I'm just getting used to the feel of it vs the memory foam.  I can tell you that temp. wise, it's like night and day.  I really like the coolness.  I may eventually even place a more plush layer of Talalay over this.  To answer your original question I would suspect that a conventional mattress without foam would be as cool or even have more circulation than latex but it all depends on how much you might sink into the top.  My memory tells me they are about the same.  Being warm natured myself I have no reservations about sleeping on latex.  One might think, since they are both foam they would all be hot sleeping, but there is a big difference for me.

Best of Luck,

Robert 

Reply #7 Dec 7, 2010 3:28 PM
It sounds like heat isn't really a problem with Latex, thats good news.

So looking at the link to the 5.5" Queen Size core from mattresses.net, if I pick up just the core, then all I need is a zippered cover and a bed frame to have a sleepable bed?  I'm a little confused about buying just the core, reading their website they says it is just a replacement component and not a full mattress.  Is this (http://store.mattresses.net/queen--premium--protect-a-bed-mattress-cover.html) the sort of cover I need or is that just a protector?  Or what about this from Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Invacare-Zippered-Mattress-Cover/13181326)?

As far as the bed frame,  what if I buy a bed frame like this (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39849860) from Ikea with a set of slats (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/25844409) or even the nicer ones (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60125969).  Would it still be necessary to add a foundation to protect the Latex core?

Thanks again for the help its really appreciated!

This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by MrThunderMakeR
Reply #8 Dec 8, 2010 11:38 AM
I stopped by both SleepEZ and R&S Mattress yesterday and was impressed.  Both stores seemed to have better deals than what I had seen at the big retial stores with the S-brands.  I am having trouble finding any info or reviews for the mattress I tried though.  Here is what I found:

From R&S Mattress:

http://cheap-latex-foam-mattress.com/3108-four-seasons-marquee-plush-5-0-queen-mattress.html - $599.  I'm not sure this is the exact one I tried but its close.  On the tag it said Spring Air Marquee II, which I can't find anything on google for, but the salesman said it was a Four Seasons and this looks pretty similar.  The salesman said it was a $1300 mattress in normal retail stores, the tag said original retail was $1200 with R&S price normal price being $11000.  The $599 was the salesman's quote.  Either way it seems like a really good deal, the mattress was really comfortable and it seemed like it had the perfect combination I'm looking for with a firm overall support but a soft top layer.  The salesman also said it had individually wrapped coils.  Also no pillow top or memory foam, so I don't think it will get too warm.  The mattress was wrapped in plastic though so I didn't get to verify that.  My only issue with this mattress is it was REALLY tall and thick.  I guess this is good as far as quality and comfort but I like my bed closer to the ground.  If I do go with this mattress I deffinitely won't be using a box spring.

http://cheap-latex-foam-mattress.com/size/5480-hannah-ultra-plush-latex-top-5-0-queen-mattress.html - $550.  Again I'm not sure this is the exact same mattress but its close.  According to the salesman it had a non-laytex foam core, with an all natural latex top.  The tag said it was a Brooklyn Hannah Ultra Plush Latex Top.  I like this mattress because I like the idea of getting away from an innerspring mattress and this seems about the best I can do without getting a full-latex core mattress (too expensive).  I'm worried about the quality of the non-laytex foam core though.

From SleepEZ:

Miracle Bedding Latex Top, non-Latex Foam Core - $550.  I can't find any info for this mattress online.  According to the salesman it was a mattress that they bring in from another manufacturer (Miracle Bedding in CA) and they just recently got it in and hadn't sold many.  He said it had a "poly-foam" core with a topper made of all natural laytex.  This seemed pretty similar to the Brooklyn Hannah above as far as quality and layout,  but I think it was a little too soft in comparison.  On the other hand I was really impressed with the mattresses that SleepEZ made themselve's, though they were out of my price range.  But the impression I got was they make quality mattresses which makes me think they wouldn't bring in a poor quality mattress from another distributor.

Anyways I'm gonna stop by the bedphoenix.com (AZ Premium Mattress) location after work today and see what they have to offer.  Right now I'm leaning towards the Four Seasons from R&S as it seems like too good of a deal to pass on.  Unless I find something better at AZ Premium, or you guys recommend against it, I will likely go back to R&S and purchase the Four Seasons tonight.

Also, I did pick up the Malm bed frame and slats from Ikea last night for ~$280.

Reply #9 Dec 8, 2010 4:15 PM
I would probably tend to avoid the nature's rest. Thicker ... expecially that thick ... usually means more expensive ... and worse. Too much polyfoam probably in all the wrong places. It's just like buying really expensive foam that you don't need at all and you would likely very quickly develop depressions and support issues.

Even though R&S is factory direct for Brooklyn bedding, they also sell other brands. I would tend to stick with the Brooklyn brand there.

There are two miracle beddings both in California. One of them is a really small outfit without even a website and doesn't make any latex mattresses (I called them to find out) The other one is out of business so I don't now what they made. Perhaps there is a third or they just were able to get a really good price for the remaining mattresses. I'd be interested to know.

In any case, if a manufacturer uses a good quality polyfoam under latex, that and latex over innersprings would be the "next best thing" to an all latex mattress. Some people may even prefer latex over innersprings in it's feel even though it would (should) be less. At Sleepez I would probably also go with the poly/latex combination as well.

Good quality poly in the support layers is not the same problem as poly in the upper comfort layers.

The other advantage to a foam mattress is that it doesn't need a box spring under it and your slatted foundation and bed would do great. An innerspring mattress usually (not always) needs a boxspring rather than a slatted foundation

There should also be some good options at Bed Phoenix. Once you've been there ... I would wait a day or two before you bought and post your options here so you can get a sense of what you think may be best.

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 8, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #10 Dec 8, 2010 4:38 PM
Thanks for the opinions Phoenix. 

So it sounds like there is a reason the Four Seasons innerspring is discounted so much.  With that info, I'm leaning towards the Brooklyn Polyfoam/Latex mattress now.  I'm still going to check out Bed Phoenix, but I'm not really expecting much.  I checked out their address on google maps and it basically looks like someone's house out on the edge of the city.  Unless I find something really impressive there, I'm going to return to R&S and buy the Brooklyn tonight.  I really don't think I can make another couple nights, even on an air mattress.

I should also mention that R&S does give a 30-day comfort guarantee so I'll have an option to swap the Brooklyn if it doesn't work out.

This message was modified Dec 8, 2010 by MrThunderMakeR
Reply #11 Dec 8, 2010 4:51 PM
Sounds like you nave some decent options. Bed phoenix is the same as www.mattresses.net which is a mattress factory and has some very good value as well so I wouldn't surprise me if you were choosing between 3 good options.

GL.

Phoenix

Reply #12 Dec 9, 2010 10:58 AM
I stopped by Bed Phoenix last night, its a pretty small operation but they had some really good materials.  Most of it was out of my price range though.  They did have one mattress that they recently got in though from another manufacaturer that he wanted $600 for.  It is a memory foam top layer on top of a polyfoam/latext interlaced core.  It is really comfortable even though I generally don't like memory foam.  It doesn't have that "sucked-in" feeling and it doesn't get warm like most memory foam.  The guy said it was a newer type of memory foam that doesn't have those problems.  I don't remember the name of the manufacturer but I did get this info off the tag:

Manufactured by Foreign Manufacture: CHV2

Importedy by Boyd Specialty Sleep Inc, CA

Model ME01711T

Reply #13 Dec 9, 2010 2:35 PM
I would probably tend towards the latex poly combinations since there are so many unknown variables with memory foam ... particularly what they use as the top memory foam layer and how long it will last. Boyd also tends towards what they call "engineered latex" in their mattresses and many retailers sell them as "latex" when they are not. They are often sold at prices higher than what I believe they are worth even though they seem to have good value on a quick look. I don't know this specific mattress so I can't comment on it specifically though. Memory foam in general is a risky business unless the retailer you are buying it from has a "no questions asked" return policy like costco, sams club etc or unless you know exactly what type of memory foam is being used. The less expensive ones often lose their qualities very quickly.

I'm surprised none of them showed you any of their lower end spring mattresses (what I call "throwaways") which can sometimes provide good value (they won't last for a long long time but the price you pay reflects that) however I believe that a poly latex combination would likely be better anyway. I would also ask them the thickness and the ILD of the upper latex layer (to help determine the value you are getting) as well as the thickness and what kind of poly is being used as a support core (the density and type of poly) as this will make a difference in how long it will last.

Phoenix

PS: If you look at some of the Sealy Embody mattresses, you will find latex poly combinations selling for well over $2000 and even the lowest end insightful mattress only over $1500 "on sale"

This message was modified Dec 9, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #14 Dec 9, 2010 6:59 PM
I went ahead and bought the poly/memory foam from Bed Phoenix.  I found it too comfortable to pass up on for the price he was asking.  Also R&S had sold the poly/laytex combo I was looking at there.  I think ithe one I bought will work out well but it did come with a 60-day comfort return policy if I run into any problems.  I'll report back in a few days after I've had a chance to adjust to it.

Recent Posts