My proposed DIY foam mattress--help or advice welcomed!
Aug 4, 2009 2:29 PM
Ok, so this is my proposed mattress. Keep in mind that one of my main concerns is motion transfer, and the other is cost (that's why we're not doing latex right now--oh, and it seemed a bit more motion-y to me).
It will be a king-size mattress, we're not big people, and we sleep mostly on our sides, *sometimes* our backs--I like some 'cush' to sink into, boyfriend isn't as crazy about that:

5" Lux-HQ (bottom)--maybe get 2" and 3" of this for more ease of handling?
2" HD36-HQ (mid)--I'm a little worried about the LUX being too hard, but maybe this HD36-HQ isn't necessary?
2 1/2" Poly or Super-soft Eggcrate (wish i could find a 'medium' one--*between* ILD 12 and 36!)
Cuddlebed if needed

Should i order twin-size of everything for 1) ease of moving layers around and 2) motion transfer--or will splitting it not affect the motion transfer too much?

Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments--it made figuring this out much easier!

P.S. I'm going for PU foam because, mainly, i need to reduce motion transfer, and i can't afford latex right now. I could *maybe* afford the latex from FBM, but in my (limited) experience the latex seemed to provide more motion...I'm a little nervous about buying this mattress without trying it out first, but i THINK it's the best for lack of motion, and for cost. If i'm missing something--related to motion--let me know!! ;)

P.S.S. I'm a little nervous about the 'toxicity' of PU foam, but not sure i have other alternatives right now!
Re: My proposed DIY foam mattress--help or advice welcomed!
Reply #4 Aug 4, 2009 5:27 PM
I'd think about a 5" core, instead of 8", just because i don't think 8" core is necessary for support, and that way i could add more toppers...But i could be mistaken in my thinking!

So, the salesguy said the MF won't have the qualities we don't like in it...Is this because there's only 1" of it? Does it seem less grippy when there's only an inch or two of the stuff?

thanks!
Reply #5 Aug 4, 2009 5:32 PM
one more question--how does one return a big, heavy mattress? The website says to put it in a box, and ship it back...HOW does one get it into a box, and HOW do i ship it back??
Reply #6 Aug 4, 2009 5:55 PM
He actually convinced me to get the regular 6" core and 3" MF by giving me the option of flipping it and trying it with no MF inside the cover.  He said if they have to do a return they use a shipping company to come pick up the mattress and ship the other via Fed-Ex.  I am skeptical about the MF too but I also like a plush feel.

Do you like a really firm mattress?
Reply #7 Aug 4, 2009 6:02 PM
ah, i guess that makes returns a little easier!

i don't like a really firm mattress; i just want to make sure i have enough support--that will last a while--under me. Which is why LUX-HQ has been recommended over the HD36-HQ. Then i'd like to soften that up with a few inches of toppers.

I wish i could find more mattresses made from HR foam and soft toppers (but not memory foam) without doing it myself!
Reply #8 Aug 4, 2009 6:05 PM
Why are you against memory foam?  I dont like the way it grabs you and Im afraid it will be too hot but the sales guy swears it wont be an issue like Tempurepedic. 

I am a stomach/side sleeper and afraid it will be too hard if I get too firm a core.  The ILD of the core at overnight is around 34 I think.
Reply #9 Aug 4, 2009 6:34 PM
I think that our room is too cold most of the year (we're up in the mountains, and don't keep heat on in the room); other than that--well, and the 'grippiness' of it--i wouldn't mind, especially if it's softer than Tempurpedic.

I'm confused about the core. A couple of other people who experimented with LUX and HD36 on this forum said that the HD36 was starting to lose support in the lumbar area...I definitely don't want that, but thought maybe a couple of inches of HD36 on top of the LUX core would be ok, and not be too hard. I could always replace it with LUX if need be. Confusing!!

Thought about getting the 7" OMC core, only, without the memory foam, but i can pay less than half the price at FBM for the same thing. Only thing is, i better like it because the return policy isn't good!
Reply #10 Aug 4, 2009 8:03 PM
I was mainly worried about the heat b/c we are in south Louisiana and it doesnt get cold too often.  I also read that the HD36 may break down over time.  I dont know what kind of warranty FBM has on their foam. 

I think I am going to go with the 6" core and 3" MF and 3" foam cover from OMC.  Its $850 but I think its worth it for the warranty.

What kind of platform bed are you looking at?
Reply #11 Aug 4, 2009 9:06 PM
Okay, after looking at this for wayyyyy too long I am back to looking at FBM again.  I am thinking along the same lines as you were now just b/c of the price.

5" LUX-R $120
3" HD36-R $72
1" 20 ILD Latex topper $75
Mattress cover $45
and a cuddlebed found at linensource for $44

I can do the whole setup for well under $500 and then have the freedom to play with the arrangement

I am thinking of getting the cover an inch or two bigger than needed if I want to add eggcrate or more latex.  I figure I can play with this configuration much more and still come out way ahead.  I really liked the idea of OMC but after thinking about it more, its just way too much to spend even with the exchange. 

In case you are wondering about the selection of -R over the -HQ, my main reasoning is the cost.  I figure that if I dont know exactly what Im getting, Id better get the cheaper and if it wears out I will replace it with the HQ but at least at that point I will know what I want. 
Reply #12 Aug 4, 2009 9:19 PM
hahaha...Funny that you've changed again, but i totally understand it.

I'm thinking about a latex topper, too, only because they don't seem to have pu foam with an ILD between 12 and 36!

Are you getting 3" of the HD36 to have more of a 'base'? From what i understand it's still very hard, but i guess a wee bit softer...Just not sure if it's too much base? I don't want to confuse you further, though...!!

Anyway, yes, i think you'll have a good setup to play around with, and you really can't go wrong with the base/mid-layer you're getting.

Now you have to get it fast so you can tell us what it's like!! :)
Reply #13 Aug 4, 2009 9:42 PM
What do you mean "too much of a base"?  Are you afraid that it may be too firm b/c of the thickness?  I cant imagine that it would have much of a difference if you just add more latex on top.  What you think?

Recent Posts