Latex Toppers - what ILD and what depth?
Jan 25, 2008 12:35 AM
I was wondering what ILD and what depth those that have Latex toppers have.  If you do not have a topper, I would like to know what the ILD of your latex is on the top of your bed.

I am confortable with a 1" latex topper of a 36 ILD over a 44 ILD over a 44 ILD over a stat box. My bed came with a 2" soft latex topper but it was too soft for me but I kow others love it and like softer beds.  I am curious and wonder if I am the minority. I still wish my bed was a little softer on my shoulders but it feels so good on my back and I love getting into the bed with this combination of layers. A softer topper only feels better for the first hour and then my back starts to ache.

Re: Latex Toppers - what ILD and what depth?
Reply #6 Jan 26, 2008 12:45 AM
Jimsocal, Thank you so much for this information since maybe my friend can help me make one of my latex pillows about 1/2" less thick.  I do like the idea of zoning but I will have to avoid the glue.  Even my new solid wood Maple Furniture from Durham bothered me for a few weeks with some outgassing from the paint or maybe the plywood in the drawers. Now it is so wonderful.
Re: Latex Toppers - what ILD and what depth?
Reply #7 Jan 26, 2008 9:32 AM
kimmcgov wrote:
Jim, are you saying that 32 ILD is too firm for you (hurts your hips) to sleep on your side?

It does not hurt my hips, but it is too firm for me to get comfortable in that position.  For a reference there is 3" of 35 ILD below my topper and below that is 3" of 44 ILD.  Under that is a slatted platform bed.

For side sleeping, I would want my hips and shoulders to sink in more, and the goal would be to get my spine straight.

Recent Posts