Just bought a new Flobeds
Sep 21, 2009 3:31 PM
I just purchased a new FloBeds. It is the 100% natural Talalay 4 layer mattresses. The top most layer being a soft egg crate 2" piece of Talalay.  

I purchased the following configuration. On the left side of the bed I have a median top layer, firm middle layer, and extra firm bottom layer. On the right side the top layer is firm, the second layer is extra firm, and the bottom layer is extra firm.

I felt that this should give me an opportunity to switch the layers around and come up with the configuration that will work the best for my 6' 2"  210 pound frame. It has been quite a wrestling match, reading all the different descriptions that various people like, when it comes to firmness layers. You also run into this with some of the websites. No two people seem to consider this the same way. So I'm just going to have to experiment.

This is one of the main reasons that I went with FloBeds. They have the most liberal exchange policy coupled with a generous return policy. They definitely get more money than some of the other sites. But when you're purchasing something this expensive from the Internet, and cannot lay on it, feel it, look at it, and even smell it, it's good to have a situation where you can make corrections at a nominal expense. Given the fact that FloBeds has an excellent reputation with the BBB, and Dave and Dewey Turner are excellent people to do business with, it just seemed to make good sense to me to consider the extra cost as an insurance policy.

One last point I would like to make. I just realize that I have been misspelling FloBeds name. I had been misspelling it "FlowBeds." Wrong!    It is spelled FloBeds.com. I hope I have not misdirected anyone.

It will probably take about a week to get this bed in my home, set up, and slept on. When I have had an opportunity to do this I will be sure to post back and let you know what my experiences are, as I know how confusing this kind of a purchase can be.

This message was modified Sep 22, 2009 by eagle2
Re: Just bought a new Flobeds
Reply #148 Jan 13, 2010 12:38 AM
Good info Sandman!  I did see the chart before but am studying it more carefully now...I think I want to custom pick how this goes.  I will keep you posted.
Reply #149 Jan 27, 2010 5:09 PM
It has been a while since I reported in on my FloBeds experience. So I thoughtI would post this experience and observation.

I purchased a new protective cover for my mattress. My old one was over 10 years old and was wearing out. It was a very thin cover but did a good job. The new one I acquired is 100% cotton and slightly thicker and of better quality than what I previously had. One thing of note is it had a longer skirt that allowed me to pull the cover quite tight and tuck in the skirt on the bottom of the mattress. I was trying to smooth out any wrinkles from the storage that the cover had endured.

The point is that this new cover gave me a new sleep experience. I thought this information might be helpful to those who are dealing with firmness levels in their mattress.

I found it quite interesting that even this slight difference in top layer made quite a difference in the way my mattress felt. It felt quite a bit firmer. It was as if I had increased the density of the latex. I thought this might be helpful to those who are fighting to get the proper feel from their latex bed, or any other bed for that matter. Just this slight change made a considerable difference in the way the bed felt. In fact it's going to take a little bit to get used to it, as I appreciated the old cover. I actually felt like I was sleeping more on top of the mattress with the new cover than the way I felt with the old cover. There was less sinking into the latex it seemed to me. I am assuming this is due to the fact that I was able to stretch the cover quite tightly over the mattress.

As a side note for those who are fighting their cheap P/U foam on their innerspring mattresses. I had an occasion this afternoon to have a rather lengthy telephone conversation setting in a chair that normally does not get used that much. It is a very solid wood chair with some cheap P/U foam for a cushion. I would say that the foam is not more than 2 inches thick and probably less, possibly an inch to an inch and a half. The point being that my butt went totally to sleep on me and I had a tough time standing up. So I guess the point I'm trying to make to folks regarding their mattresses is..... it does not take very much of a top later change to make a significant difference in how a mattress sleeps, and cheap P/U foam (as JimSoCal is constantly pointing out) is a terrible material to use for cushioning.

I am still sleeping on the left side of my FlowBeds configured F/XF/XF, right side of bed F/F/XF. And the bed is sleeping quite well. The more I sleep on my latex bed the better I like it.
This message was modified Jan 27, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #150 Jan 27, 2010 7:15 PM
Thanks for that update eagle2.  Funny I have said my mattress cover made my latex topper unpleasant, I would get welts from them (very senstive).  I would like to see the mattress covers you are talking about.  Is there a link?  Not sure what they are like.  But I am finding with sheets even make a big difference.  I tried jersey sheets (stretch) over a polyester plush blannket and am more comfortable that way.  No it is not hot.  I am not sure why, but it isn't.  I tried every mattress cover the stores had to offer, they felt like concrete.

Every time I try different sheets, like I tried cotton flannel the mattress felt totally different.  Jersey sheets wear out in months though, but that is the price I am willing and have to pay.

I am glad you figured your Flobeds and covers out.  What sheets do you use?
Reply #151 Jan 27, 2010 8:11 PM
Leo3 wrote:
Thanks for that update eagle2.  Funny I have said my mattress cover made my latex topper unpleasant, I would get welts from them (very senstive).  I would like to see the mattress covers you are talking about.  Is there a link?  Not sure what they are like.  But I am finding with sheets even make a big difference.  I tried jersey sheets (stretch) over a polyester plush blannket and am more comfortable that way.  No it is not hot.  I am not sure why, but it isn't.  I tried every mattress cover the stores had to offer, they felt like concrete.

Every time I try different sheets, like I tried cotton flannel the mattress felt totally different.  Jersey sheets wear out in months though, but that is the price I am willing and have to pay.

I am glad you figured your Flobeds and covers out.  What sheets do you use?

Leo: The wife did not purchase this cover online and I had a hard time trying to find something just like it. As close as I was able to come is this cover at Sears. All I know is that mine is 100% cotton fill, it has 100% cotton Expand- A- Grip, and the top and bottom are 100% cotton. So you could say this is an all 100% cotton mattress pad. It's machine washable and dryable. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_09606644000P?vName=Bed+&psid=FROOGLE01&sName=Various+Coordinates&cName=BeddingEssentials&aff=Y&sid=I0084400010000100600

I also sleep on all 100% cotton sheets. 200 or 300 thread count as I recall.

I will know more after I have slept on it for several nights. One thing that Sandman might be interested in. At least initially the first hour or so that I lay on it it seems cooler than the old mattress pad. I am attributing this to the hundred percent cotton construction. Now, like I said, I have only slept on it for one night, so any conclusive perspective will have to wait until I've had more time sleeping on it. Any changes in my perspective I will certainly report.

One other thing, this pad has a 10 year warranty
This message was modified Jan 27, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #152 Jan 27, 2010 9:14 PM
Eagle,  I have a 100% cotton mattress pad that I bought from Flobeds.   It might be the same as the Sears one, because I think it is a Beautyrest.  I did not find it made a significant difference in temperature (after a few hours), but it is not real thick.  Lately I have been using the cotton one over a wool filled one by Natura.  That might be slightly better temperature wise.  I think the main factor is the thickness.  To have a significant impact, there has to be enough thickness create a bit of a buffer.  Less dense materials like cotton and wool will not hold as much heat as the latex itself (at least that is my opinion).

It is a bit surprising that it seems firmer.   Yes, a firmer top will make a mattress firmer - the latex will squish less sideways.  Hard to see how a stretchable mattress pad would make it that much tighter, but maybe it does.   It could also be that it is taking longer for the latex to warm up with a thicker pad.  I think it does get a bit softer when warmer.

Reply #153 Jan 27, 2010 11:01 PM
Sandman: I'm just guessing, since I've only slept on it one night, but I think that possibly the firmer feel comes from the fact that I stretched the pad as tight as I could and tucked in the skirt of the pad under the mattress. This was all in an attempt to straighten out any wrinkles that had developed due to being stored in its plastic bag.

This did  stretched the top somewhat and make it tight across the mattress. It is somewhat thicker than the old pad, but not by much. I must interject that the old pad was really thin and really wearing out ( as in used up). It's amazing how things like this can become quite comfortable as we have become so used to them, 10 years after all is a fairly long time.

I should also add that the old pad was not 100% cotton. The bottom of the pad was some kind of synthetic material. The new pad is entirely 100% cotton.

I will report back on the experience that I'm having with this pad when I've had more time to test it.
Reply #154 Jan 27, 2010 11:46 PM
I wonder where did your wife find a 100% cotton mattress pad?  I looked all over for one, we use to have one many years ago too.  They just stopped making them where I live, and I couldn't find one online either.  They always use polyester fiberfill now.  That was why I though why not just the plush blanket I saw at Ross.  So it is easier to wash than a stiff mattress pad too.

If I were you I would either not pull the mattress pad so tight, or use the old one.  Maybe you could iron the mattress pad (over the ironing board of course) to get those wrinkles out and put back on instead of pulling it so tight.  I am sooooo picky, that I want to sink into the latex, not sleep over a mattress pad and sheet that pulls so tight you don't even know you have toppers to soften the hard mattress.

I wondered how the Flobed mattress cover was, apparently it is such that you can still feel the latex.
Reply #155 Jan 27, 2010 11:49 PM
All the Mattress polyester pads made me hot so I now just sleep with a fitted sheet directly over the comfortable zippered mattress cover over my latex cores from FloBeds and I am happy.
Reply #156 Jan 28, 2010 1:00 AM
I will post again the link I posted earlier to the Sears web site. It is quite close to my pad. It says 100% cotton!!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_09606644000P?vName=
Bed+&psid=FROOGLE01&sName=Various+Coordinates&cName=BeddingEssentials&aff=Y&sid=I0084400010000100600

Copy and past it. It works I just checked it!

They say it is 100% cotton and then say it is filled with dreamloft fiber. So I don't know. They do not say if this is NOT cotton!
This message was modified Jan 28, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #157 Jan 28, 2010 1:30 AM
Yeah, I saw the Sears link earlier, but I don't believe it is cotton fiberfill (batting) however.  That is why I wondered where you found the cotton fiberfill, not polyester or whatever they called it.  If it doesn't say cotton filling I don't think it is.

Recent Posts