Just bought a new Flobeds
Sep 21, 2009 3:31 PM
I just purchased a new FloBeds. It is the 100% natural Talalay 4 layer mattresses. The top most layer being a soft egg crate 2" piece of Talalay.  

I purchased the following configuration. On the left side of the bed I have a median top layer, firm middle layer, and extra firm bottom layer. On the right side the top layer is firm, the second layer is extra firm, and the bottom layer is extra firm.

I felt that this should give me an opportunity to switch the layers around and come up with the configuration that will work the best for my 6' 2"  210 pound frame. It has been quite a wrestling match, reading all the different descriptions that various people like, when it comes to firmness layers. You also run into this with some of the websites. No two people seem to consider this the same way. So I'm just going to have to experiment.

This is one of the main reasons that I went with FloBeds. They have the most liberal exchange policy coupled with a generous return policy. They definitely get more money than some of the other sites. But when you're purchasing something this expensive from the Internet, and cannot lay on it, feel it, look at it, and even smell it, it's good to have a situation where you can make corrections at a nominal expense. Given the fact that FloBeds has an excellent reputation with the BBB, and Dave and Dewey Turner are excellent people to do business with, it just seemed to make good sense to me to consider the extra cost as an insurance policy.

One last point I would like to make. I just realize that I have been misspelling FloBeds name. I had been misspelling it "FlowBeds." Wrong!    It is spelled FloBeds.com. I hope I have not misdirected anyone.

It will probably take about a week to get this bed in my home, set up, and slept on. When I have had an opportunity to do this I will be sure to post back and let you know what my experiences are, as I know how confusing this kind of a purchase can be.

This message was modified Sep 22, 2009 by eagle2
Re: Just bought a new Flobeds
Reply #136 Jan 4, 2010 1:19 PM
One note should be recorded for those who are not used to this forum.

If you are interested in reading the entire thread you're going to have to go to the bottom of the thread and click on the "ALL" word to see all of the thread. In a particularly long thread like this one, the owners of the forum have decided, and rightly so, to limit what is viewable.

As a follow-up to my last post regarding the installation of the new firm layer I have this report.

At first this firm layer on top of two extra firm layers felt as you might expect, quite firm. But after I have lain upon it for several nights it has become more comfortable. So my configuration is now left side of bed, F/XF/XF  right-sided bid F/F/XF.

The more I sleep on natural latex the more I am convinced that one's body heat tends to soften the structure of the latex so that it tends to cradle you after you have slept on it for a while. Some of this can possibly be due to psychological factors of course. But after having slept on a natural latex mattress for over 90 days now it is definitely my considered opinion.

The ridge down the middle my bed, that I referred to in my last post, seems to have been eliminated, at least at this point in time. What was happening was the medium layer ( and as you may recall this is a very soft medium layer at 26.2 ILD) was riding up on the edge of the firm layer once I had rolled back and forth across the bed several times. Thus causing a uneven surface, and the ridge that I referred to. But so far having two firm layers on top seems to have cured the problem for now.
This message was modified Jan 9, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #137 Jan 8, 2010 5:01 PM

Hi, 1st time poster, though I have lurked for a bit and all I read convinced me to buy a Flobeds bed.  We originally purchased a 9" memory foam from COSTCO and it was way too firm.  Prior to that we had a 3" memory foam topper on a 10 YO mattress which we really liked.  We were looking for something softer (I think) or at least more plush on top than the Costco bed.  The Flobed finally came yesterday and I slept on it last night.  (The wife is on the sofa due to recent foot surgery and can't yet navigate the steps up to the bedroom so it's giving me a few nights to tweak at least my side... The config I ended up with is Wife: soft/med/firm and Me: med/firm/x-firm.  Though I think my side is too soft.  I slept better on it than I did on the Costco bed we've been on for ~ 6 weeks, but my back was a bit sore this morning.  I'm wondering if I should take the firm from her side and try firm/firm/x-firm? Also wondering how Eagle likes the f/x/x.  I think the egg crate (convoluted) piece is giving me the nestling feeling I need and that I may need more firmness.  I'm 5'11" and 182 lbs.  Thanks for any suggestions in getting this dialed in (at least for me--will have to work on the wife's side next). 

Reply #138 Jan 8, 2010 6:43 PM
Faherty: if you read this entire thread then you know that I like sleeping on a softer configuration to begin with, but during the night and towards morning I like sleeping on a firmer configuration. Therefore I start out on the side with F/F/XF and wind up in the morning on the F/XF/XF side.

Since you certainly have enough latex in different firmness you might reconfigure your bed to try this out. This whole business of what feels best for you is highly individualized,, as has been stated so many different time. Height and weight definitely play into the mix, but individuality, I am convinced, is the deciding factor. You will just have to try out the various firmness until you come up with something that is most comfortable for you.

Like most people I have tried softer surfaces. I even tried a S/M/XF configuration. This was way too soft for me and caused back pain. A M/XF/XF worked pretty well for me, but I believe if I had to have a configuration that was the same on both sides I would probably go with a F/F/XF. Keep in mind I am 6' 2" and 210 pounds. Almost everyone likes a softer surface initially. But once they totally relax, if this surface is to soft it will not give sufficient support to your spine and consequently you will wind up stiff and sore in the morning.

But since you bought a FlowBeds you have unlimited exchanges for 90 days. And FlowBeds will pay the freight bill to you and all you have to pay is the freight bill in shipping the layers back to FlowBeds. I always got my return UPS sticker from FlowBeds. I believe they get a better rate than anything I could negotiate. Which makes good sense to me since they do so much more business with UPS than I do.

Good luck, keep us posted.
This message was modified Jan 8, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #139 Jan 9, 2010 9:56 AM
Thanks for the quick response.  I tried the f/f/x last night and liked it.  My wife tried my side this morning and thinks it will be satisfactory for her as well--her side is too soft at present.  I'm going to order the fillers to make her a f/f/x and another to try f/x/x for me.
Reply #140 Jan 9, 2010 10:43 AM
I've been lurking quite a long time and I just wanted to say that the community on this thread and the overall site is outstanding!  I have gleaned so much information from reading through this thread that my head is spinning.  Since I am searching for my next mattress I am going to continue to engulf myself in all of this info and try to pick the right mattress for me.  I know I am going to start by researching Flobeds, based on this thread and the exceptional customer service they provide.  Right now I am sleeping on a 10 yr old serta innerspring that is awful and aggrevates my bad lower back daily so my search will have to be quick.  I am already leaning towards latex or memory foam - tempurpedic.

Thanks for a great forum and I look forward to participating in the future

Reply #141 Jan 9, 2010 2:04 PM
meth: Welcome aboard. There are several companies that make good latex mattresses. FloBeds gets my vote for the reasons mentioned in this thread. But look them all over and then decide. And good luck with your search.
Reply #142 Jan 11, 2010 12:47 AM
Hi Eagle2 (and anyone else reading this blog...

Well, I got my Flobeds on Thursday...sorry for the delay in responding and updating, been trying to get a handle on things.  It's funny, when we first got the beds together, we passed out for hours immediately afterwards (at 6:15 at night)..I, on my husband's and he on mine...it was so amazing but nowI am having some problems adjusting. Also, I woke up with leg/thigh pains that night and the next day so I am not sure if falling asleep on my side with my legs elevated on my husband's "bed" (!) did it (yes, I know this sounds strange...but that adjustable bed is fantastic..really takes the pressure off of the lumbar area), or if it was my new mattress?

What I ordered was the all natural/organic Talalay with VZone but they were out of the materials to complete the VZone layer and Dave insisted he ship me another layer at no cost to me (for returns either) until the VZone was ready this week, so that I would have something better to sleep on asap than on what I have now, as I was having a lot of hip and shoulder pains on my old mattress. This alone, for anyone out there reading this confirms what you (eagle2) have been saying..the service at Flobeds is simply amazing and for that alone I can't recommend them highly enough!! 

So..to the bed..I did tell Dave I liked a really firm mattress with a soft plushy feel on top..I had also purchased an adjustable base locally (Leggett & Platt) at Flobeds and SleepEZ's recommendation)...and tried a LI Talalay blended extra firm (6" 36ILD with 1" 24/soft on top and bottom - 8" total)..a pretty firm combination that seemed almost right...just needed to be plusher.  With the multiple layers, Dave suggested I go for a VZone/M/F and my husband a VZone/Firm/XF (with the convoluted topper of course).  In the meantime, we received two XF to add to our combo so we could have different variations to work with.  My husband had put it together without me and so my bed ended up XF/M/F which was way too bouncy for me.  He loved his XF/F/XF (even though I told him he should have made it as F/XF/XF!).  I am 5'7" and 135 lbs and he is 5'8" and 200 lbs (very big boned rather than overweight so his 200 lbs is well distributed mattress wise.)  When I finally kicked him off of his so I could try it per Dave's suggestion, I woke up with muscle pain in my lumbar area today.  Ached all day.  Tonight we, switched my XF to the bottom so that it is now (M/F/XF).  I worry that with the XF off of the top layer, it will be even more bouncy but I am willing to try it.  I am thinking that if this doesn't work, maybe I need F/F/XF...but I am open to any thoughts or recommendations out there.  Apparently, the VZone comes in different firmnesses as well (based upon the firmness of the lumbar section I believe) and I would like to try to get that right if possible before it's shipped the first time. I think the intention was to send me a medium though.

So, I'm wondering how much less "bouncy" a blended or a Dunlop would be for that matter .  It seems that the few typical store selection latex mattresses I've seen are way less bouncy..I'm assuming they are probably Dunlop (and with tighter mattress covers as well i.e. not all natural fabrics)..and I did always want it a little more plush..but the way it was (until changing it tonight anyway) makes me wonder if I will keep sinking with time.

Anyway, I welcome any input that anyone has to help me get through this process!

Thanks!

TJ12

Reply #143 Jan 11, 2010 2:41 AM
Quite frankly TJ I am at a loss to understand your description of "bouncy."

My California King is setting on a very firm pair of boxes left over from my waterbed. They are not slats, has normally described, but rather a solid piece of Formica over slats. This sets on a steel frame that has not only the perimeter for holding the mattress and box's but steel running lengthwise down the middle and also a steel piece running across the middle of the frame, supported on nine legs. This was necessary because the waterbed, with me in it, weighed over 1000 pounds.

The point being that I have a very firm foundation. Possibly your bounciness is coming from your support configuration for your bed not being solid enough. All I can tell you is I have never experienced any bounce that amounted to anything.

As I have stated before I am currently sleeping with one side of my California King configured F/XF/XF and the other side F/F/XF. So I am wondering if you have not got your bed too firm, and your foundation to springy.Again I am 6 foot two and weigh 210 pounds

This business of having your arms and legs go to sleep on you may have something to do with your adjustable bed. I cannot help you in that area as I have not slept on one except in a hospital in 2004.

But one thing's for sure, you've got a good man in Dave Turner who has a lot of knowledge and a strong desire to make sure you are satisfied with your bedding experience.
Reply #144 Jan 11, 2010 4:28 AM
Hmmm...spongy?  :)

Well, you are right about Dave, I have no doubts there....I would think the adjustable bed provides pretty good support ..I know it has steel supports..I will have to check what the rest is and let you know.   But the XF/M mattress I tried locally was on the same adjustable bed model so don't think the foundation is an issue.  Don't think my side is firm enough though...and so I use the word bouncy...doesn't feel firm or bed like...spongy might be a better word after all.

I will try it tonight (this am?!) and let you know...if I ever get to sleep, that is!

Thanks!

Reply #145 Jan 11, 2010 10:52 AM
My first impression of latex was that it was a bit bouncy/spongy.  In fact, I noted to Eagle once that I accidently dropped a weight on it and it bounced several inches.   At first that bothered me a little, but I got use to it.  It is a different feel from an innerspring, if that is what you are use to.   I would not  focus on that for now, since you will probably get use to that factor.

As far as the vzone, I would probably not go with the medium unless you like a fairly soft bed.  With the medium (at least the way they sent it to me), they put a soft piece under the hip area.  I found that too soft.  I even found medium too soft there, and shifted to a firm piece under the hips.  I do like the fact that the vzone is softer under the shoulders.

The trend seems for most people is that they end up liking a firmer configuration than they originally think.   However, I think 100% natural XF on top for you (based on your weight) would probably be too firm.  

Lately I have been using XF/vzone (mainly firm)/XF.  That is with blended latex though, which seems to have a lower support level from 100% natural.  

Recent Posts