Just bought a new Flobeds
Sep 21, 2009 3:31 PM
I just purchased a new FloBeds. It is the 100% natural Talalay 4 layer mattresses. The top most layer being a soft egg crate 2" piece of Talalay.  

I purchased the following configuration. On the left side of the bed I have a median top layer, firm middle layer, and extra firm bottom layer. On the right side the top layer is firm, the second layer is extra firm, and the bottom layer is extra firm.

I felt that this should give me an opportunity to switch the layers around and come up with the configuration that will work the best for my 6' 2"  210 pound frame. It has been quite a wrestling match, reading all the different descriptions that various people like, when it comes to firmness layers. You also run into this with some of the websites. No two people seem to consider this the same way. So I'm just going to have to experiment.

This is one of the main reasons that I went with FloBeds. They have the most liberal exchange policy coupled with a generous return policy. They definitely get more money than some of the other sites. But when you're purchasing something this expensive from the Internet, and cannot lay on it, feel it, look at it, and even smell it, it's good to have a situation where you can make corrections at a nominal expense. Given the fact that FloBeds has an excellent reputation with the BBB, and Dave and Dewey Turner are excellent people to do business with, it just seemed to make good sense to me to consider the extra cost as an insurance policy.

One last point I would like to make. I just realize that I have been misspelling FloBeds name. I had been misspelling it "FlowBeds." Wrong!    It is spelled FloBeds.com. I hope I have not misdirected anyone.

It will probably take about a week to get this bed in my home, set up, and slept on. When I have had an opportunity to do this I will be sure to post back and let you know what my experiences are, as I know how confusing this kind of a purchase can be.

This message was modified Sep 22, 2009 by eagle2
Re: Just bought a new Flobeds
Reply #68 Oct 17, 2009 12:09 AM
Hello Jim!

I was wondering where you had gone, I thought you had fallen off the edge of the earth.

Glad to hear you're okay and still "tweaking" your mattress. Jim you need to face the fact. Tweaking your mattress is one of your favorite things to do, and seems to have become one of your important hobbies in life. Oh well, we all need something to keep us occupied in our spare time. It's good that it's something that is valuable to you, like the pursuit of the perfect nights sleep.

My experience with my FloBeds is turning into quite an educational experience. Quite frankly, I have a better appreciation for where you are at with your mattress experiences. Jim I really feel that one of the principal problems with this whole process is psychological. Our bodies were made by the good Lord to be adaptable. It's a wonderful thing and we couldn't function without it. But therein lies the rub when you're trying to find the right mattress by continually changing different layers around. Your body is trying to adjust and we kept changing the rules of the game by installing different layers and flavors of foam.

I know I'm doing it, and I will probably continue to do it for at least the next 30 days or so, since I'm in my 90 day window of free layers from FloBeds. But I'm determined, just like you, to get the best sleeping surface that I can. You're just doing it for a lot less money than I am! !!!

Stay Well, and good luck with your quest.

Don
This message was modified Oct 17, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #69 Oct 19, 2009 1:13 PM
I'll make this brief for a change.

The bed is sleeping quite well. Firmness levels as follows, left side, F/F/XF, right side M/XF/XF. I'm still enjoying having two different firmness levels from which to choose. Still like softer side to begin with, but towards morning seem to enjoy firmer side more. I am calling the side with the medium top layer the softer side.
This message was modified Oct 19, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #70 Oct 19, 2009 2:57 PM
Eagle, I am finding that I probably prefer memory foam on the top layer, instead of the convoluted. I am still waiting for the right size convoluted, but when I used the wrong size one I found that using all latex can feel a little hard in highest pressure points (mainly hips when side sleeping). Even with a softer configuration (which also starts detracting from support). So I switched out the top layer for now, and I am using 2" of memory foam over firm/medium vzone (medium hips and shoulders), over firm, over xfirm. The memory foam seems to distribute pressue a little better, (which, I think, is what it is known for). The memory foam might make the bed a little less bouncy feeling as well, which I also prefer. The main downside would be if it runs too hot. I am hoping with the wool cover and temperature balancing mattress pad, that heat will not be a big issue. I need an upgrade to a better piece of memory foam, since mine is several years old and not the best quality.
Reply #71 Oct 19, 2009 3:36 PM
sandman wrote:
Eagle, I am finding that I probably prefer memory foam on the top layer, instead of the convoluted. I am still waiting for the right size convoluted, but when I used the wrong size one I found that using all latex can feel a little hard in highest pressure points (mainly hips when side sleeping). Even with a softer configuration (which also starts detracting from support). So I switched out the top layer for now, and I am using 2" of memory foam over firm/medium vzone (medium hips and shoulders), over firm, over xfirm. The memory foam seems to distribute pressue a little better, (which, I think, is what it is known for). The memory foam might make the bed a little less bouncy feeling as well, which I also prefer. The main downside would be if it runs too hot. I am hoping with the wool cover and temperature balancing mattress pad, that heat will not be a big issue. I need an upgrade to a better piece of memory foam, since mine is several years old and not the best quality.

sandman: My experience is quite different from yours, since I have the deluxe model without the zoned layer.

One thing I am finding is that you need to spend at least several nights, and preferably at least a week on the same configuration before making any changes. This is of course if the current configuration is anywhere near a comfortable nights sleep for you.

You kind of go a little "silly in the head" if you began to change layers, or in your case, configuration too soon. Our bodies, thank God, are quite adaptable. If we do not give ourselves enough time to adapt to your current configuration we will never know whether or not it may have worked for us. Pretty soon we are like a dog chasing its tail, never getting to a final satisfactory conclusion.

What started out feeling "To firm" has over time, become almost just right. I sure am glad that FloBeds gives us 90 days to figure it out, with relatively inexpensive exchanges.

I have not slept on memory foam. I did lay on a Temprepedic (SP) and it felt okay, but the price was definitely a turnoff for me. Based on what I have read on this forum, and other websites, I do not believe that I would care for memory foam. It is a highly individualized choice however.

One other point that I should make that I feel is very important. I had heard that 100% natural botanically grown latex has a tendency to soften up over time. What I am finding is that this statement is true, as long as I have a more clear definition of what "softening" is. The feeling that I have is that the latex becomes what I would call, "more receptive". When I first crawl into bed at night the sheets are rather cool,( I keep my bedroom at around 70 to 72°F) but within a couple of minutes the latex has warmed from my body temperature and it becomes very comfortable. As I just stated, it has a feeling of being more receptive to my body profile. This feeling is particularly pronounced as I am a side sleeper.

My bed has never felt "bouncy," Depending on the ILD of the latex used it can feel "softer" but I have never experienced any "bounciness." Even with a soft layer as my top layer and I weigh 210 pounds. If I were to configure my mattress using all extra firm latex that had an ILD of 36, for me it would feel extremely firm. Now possibly over a period of several days or weeks I might adapt to it and I might even like it. But based upon my experience so far the configuration I currently have is working out very well.

So far, I am very pleased with my FloBeds. I'm glad I bought it, and I am sleeping well on it. I awaken in the morning feeling refreshed and ready to go. That's the highest accolade I can give for any mattress.
This message was modified Oct 19, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #72 Oct 19, 2009 4:11 PM
I think that the rubber element of latex gives it what I would call some bounciness. Maybe that is not the best way to describe, but I can give you an example. If you drop something on the latex bed (like I accidently did with a 15 lb. barbell), it will bounce on the bed. If you do that on a pure foam bed, it will land with a thud and sink in. <BR><BR>Innerspring beds have some bounciness as well, due to the springs. Now, I am not complaining, since I like to have some bounciness as opposed to none (like in a pure foam bed). That is one reason I am intested in Latex. A mattress with all foam tends to sink in too much, and you end up in a rut.<BR><BR>As far as the memory foam goes, that is probably a matter of personal taste. I have used a MF topper for many years now, so I guess I am somewhat use to it. It does have some qualities that I like (as a comfort layer), so for me the best overall feel might be latex for base and support and some MF for comfort. Still too early to tell though, since I have not really had a chance to try the right size convoluted layer.
This message was modified Oct 19, 2009 by sandman
Reply #73 Oct 19, 2009 7:30 PM
Sandman: I tried your bounced test with a 10 pound barbell. You're right. It bounced. It bounced more on the firmer side of the bed and less on the softer side of the bed. I dropped it from a height of about 2 1/2 to 3 feet and it bounced once about 2 inches on the firm side, and about an inch on the softer side. That's about as scientific as I can get.

When you described latex as "bouncy" I thought in terms of the human body feeling a bouncy sensation when you crawled into it, are rolled over on it. Which I never feel.
Reply #74 Oct 19, 2009 8:22 PM
I have occasionally noticed a sense of bounce/motion if I move a certain way on the bed. More so than on an innerspring or foam bed that I have. I think in a previous post, you referred to a jello feel. That is really what I am talking about, so maybe bounciness is the wrong description.

I am sure that on a water bed there would be a big sensation of "motion", although I have never slept on a water bed.

In normal sleeping and turning over I don't really notice it at all.
Reply #75 Oct 19, 2009 8:39 PM
To jump on your recent posts of 'bounciness': As i am obsessed with motion transfer--or lack thereof!--i was told by a salesman that latex is 'bouncy' but doesn't transfer motion. I assume that means that the bounciness is localized, and doesn't spread to the rest of the layer. My latex layer is *very* jiggly when by itself (it's the ild 20 from FBM)--when it's off the bed it definitely *seems* like the bounciness travels across the mattress, but i could be wrong. The mattress in general seems pretty stable, but i wonder if there's more motion transfer than is usually said, for latex...Some people claim there's none, some that there is ample motion. Hmm!
Reply #76 Oct 19, 2009 9:43 PM
I can't really answer that at this point. I have only had the latex bed for a few days, and I have only used it alone. I think the motion would be mainly localized, but not totally sure. I think there would be less possiblity of motion detected on a pure foam mattress like Tempurpedic. As I said a few posts ago, I think using memory foam as the top comfort layer may mute the bouncy/jello feeling a bit.
Reply #77 Oct 19, 2009 11:11 PM
I think we have to find what works best for us.
This message was modified Oct 20, 2009 by eagle2

Recent Posts