Just bought a new Flobeds
Sep 21, 2009 3:31 PM
I just purchased a new FloBeds. It is the 100% natural Talalay 4 layer mattresses. The top most layer being a soft egg crate 2" piece of Talalay.  

I purchased the following configuration. On the left side of the bed I have a median top layer, firm middle layer, and extra firm bottom layer. On the right side the top layer is firm, the second layer is extra firm, and the bottom layer is extra firm.

I felt that this should give me an opportunity to switch the layers around and come up with the configuration that will work the best for my 6' 2"  210 pound frame. It has been quite a wrestling match, reading all the different descriptions that various people like, when it comes to firmness layers. You also run into this with some of the websites. No two people seem to consider this the same way. So I'm just going to have to experiment.

This is one of the main reasons that I went with FloBeds. They have the most liberal exchange policy coupled with a generous return policy. They definitely get more money than some of the other sites. But when you're purchasing something this expensive from the Internet, and cannot lay on it, feel it, look at it, and even smell it, it's good to have a situation where you can make corrections at a nominal expense. Given the fact that FloBeds has an excellent reputation with the BBB, and Dave and Dewey Turner are excellent people to do business with, it just seemed to make good sense to me to consider the extra cost as an insurance policy.

One last point I would like to make. I just realize that I have been misspelling FloBeds name. I had been misspelling it "FlowBeds." Wrong!    It is spelled FloBeds.com. I hope I have not misdirected anyone.

It will probably take about a week to get this bed in my home, set up, and slept on. When I have had an opportunity to do this I will be sure to post back and let you know what my experiences are, as I know how confusing this kind of a purchase can be.

This message was modified Sep 22, 2009 by eagle2
Re: Just bought a new Flobeds
Reply #58 Oct 15, 2009 1:50 PM
spelunk wrote:
Has anyone had any issues with receiving previously used layers from Flobeds?

Spelunk: I have received two layers from FloBeds on an exchange basis. I have not seen anything wrong with them. In fact they look more pristine than some of the original layers that came with the bed. And I have been told that all beds get only brand-new unused layers.

One point I would like to make about this subject, as I have just purchased a new FloBeds and I have thought on the subject a great deal.

Other than a layer that had been soiled, in which case FloBeds I am sure would dispose of it, I would think there is very little damage that can occur to a layer. Here is my thinking on the subject.The first layer to come into contact with the sleeper is of course the mattress cover, which as you may recall is a batting of about 1 inch thick wool. The next layer that would most likely receive any damage would be the top layer of latex. This is the convoluted 2 inch soft Talalay topper that all FloBeds have.  The next layer that would received any kind of perspiration or other bodily fluids, would be the top three-inch support layer. As you go progressively deeper into the bed the likelihood of any kind of substance migrating this far seems to me to be highly unlikely. My guess is, and granted it is purely a guess and I'm not about to test my theory, is that if you were to take a pint of water and pour it directly onto the mattress cover that the likelihood that it could penetrate even to the first three-inch layer is unlikely.

People can become very exercised about a subject like this. But given the kind of customer service that I have received from FloBeds, given the fact that they have a BBB rating that is not only excellent, but has remained so for well over seven years(no complaints of any kind for over seven years), and the character of the people that I'm dealing with at FloBeds, precludes from my mind the thought that any unacceptable layers of latex will be reaching my home.

You of course may feel differently about this, which of course is your right. But think on this. Any company that allows exchanges of layers of latex, I am sure, deals with this situation in a similar manner. FloBeds deals with it in an honest and straightforward manner. I'm guessing that not all companies will do this.

Savvy Rest has been mentioned as a supplier of latex beds. And it is my understanding that Virginia law does not allow any bedding material to be recycled. So any layers that they receive back must be disposed of and not reused as beds. This is one reason that they charge $170 freight for any return layers. And it would be my considered opinion, that this is the principle reason that they do not allow any returns for a full refund without any restocking fees that FloBeds allows. With Savvy Rest, once you buy it, you own it. Now don't get me wrong, this is not a knock against Savvy Rest. I believe they are a good company selling a good product. They just have a different business model due to Virginia law.
This message was modified Oct 15, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #59 Oct 15, 2009 3:03 PM
linda wrote:
Re: Flo beds layer exchange: The sheet that comes with an exchange layer asks that you try it out for a few nights to see what you prefer, and that you return whichever one you don't want within 2 weeks. I know Flobeds is quite accommodating and willing to work with their customers, so I imagine they are flexible on this, but I wanted to mention that this is written on the instructions one receives.

Linda: I became concerned about the validity of your two weeks for exchange time limitation, as I currently have two layers that I'm trying out on FloBeds exchange policy. And I've already had it for one week so I wanted to make sure of this timeframe so I called FloBeds and talk to Dewey.

He assures me that FloBeds will allow you the full timeframe of 90 days to test out your mattress any way that suits you. They just want you to be perfectly satisfied in your own mind that you have the proper firmness configuration. So let's say you are into your 90 day time frame by 30 days and you ordered an exchange of a layer or two to try out. You would still have 60 days left to make a determination on what configuration was the most suitable for you.

So I don't know where you got two weeks from, but according to Dewey Turner that is incorrect. Maybe they have something left on their website from sometime in the past and are not aware of it. If you can find it, please post it,as I'm sure they would appreciate knowing where it's at.
Reply #60 Oct 15, 2009 4:12 PM
Hi Eagle,

Perhaps her information came from here:

http://www.flobeds.com/pdf/coreexchange.pdf

This is the pdf file with instructions for exchanging cores.  Very last sentence on the page: "Please return within 10 days of receipt of cores."

What concerns me more is this statement on their website:

"The latex you receive may have fractures or be uneven and may have been repaired with nontoxic glue. These will not affect the ability to provide your body with superior support. Latex may be gently washed with soap and water."

Were any of your latex cores  . . . fractured . . .uneven . . . . repaired with glue?
This message was modified Oct 15, 2009 by KimberlyH
Reply #61 Oct 15, 2009 5:20 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
Hi Eagle,

Perhaps her information came from here:

http://www.flobeds.com/pdf/coreexchange.pdf

This is the pdf file with instructions for exchanging cores.  Very last sentence on the page: "Please return within 10 days of receipt of cores."

What concerns me more is this statement on their website:

"The latex you receive may have fractures or be uneven and may have been repaired with nontoxic glue. These will not affect the ability to provide your body with superior support. Latex may be gently washed with soap and water."

Were any of your latex cores  . . . fractured . . .uneven . . . . repaired with glue?

Kimberly: In talking with Dewey today about the return time frame, I was told that this was an old publication, that they had not had a chance to redo. Their policy has been, for some time, to allow the customer whatever time frame they need within the 90 day exchange policy, to find the proper configuration to make them happy.

As far as the statement that you have copied from their website stating that the hundred percent botanically grown latex having imperfections is pretty standard on all of the websites selling 100% natural botanically grown latex. They are not perfect.

Yes my layers had a few imperfections. But nothing that I found unacceptable. From what I have read on the various websites if you want pristine looking latex you're more likely to get it with a blended product. By controlling the manufacturing process with a blend of petrochemical agents they can have a much greater chance to produce a pristine looking pieces of latex.

I understand everyone's apprehension regarding these kinds of issues that have been addressed in the last few posts in this thread. But I think we should keep in mind that we are privy to the exact contents of our mattresses. This certainly cannot be said for those companies manufacturing latex beds that are sealed inside of a cover. We know exactly what is in our beds.

The kinds of imperfections that were in my layers of latex in no way affected how the layer function as a mattress. I am no different from anyone else. It would've been nice when I opened up the plastic wrapping if every piece of latex had been pristine, without any imperfections whatsoever. But you have to ask yourself this. If Latex International were to cull out every piece of latex that they manufactured that had the slightest imperfection, then what would it cost FloBeds, or Savvy Rest, or SleepEZ. They would then have to pass that cost on to us. They would then price themselves out of the market, with the big S. brands, who hide all of their mattresses contents inside of a sealed mattress cover. When it comes to Sealy, Stearns and Foster, Simmons, Serta, and all the others, the only idea you have about what you are actually purchasing is what they want to tell you. Quite frankly, I will take the few imperfections that I saw in the layers that were sent to me by FloBeds.

My mattresses is sleeping quite well. I just changed the soft layer for a medium layer today. I will see how this sleeps and report back in this thread.
This message was modified Oct 15, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #62 Oct 15, 2009 5:48 PM
Eagle,

Yes, I understand what you're saying.  Well I'm expecting mine today so we'll see!  I'll be eagerly awaiting your report of how the medium layer feels when compared to the soft.
Reply #63 Oct 15, 2009 7:32 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
Eagle,

Yes, I understand what you're saying.  Well I'm expecting mine today so we'll see!  I'll be eagerly awaiting your report of how the medium layer feels when compared to the soft.

Kimberly: Yes, I was wondering if you had received your bed yet. It is now 6:30 PM central time and if you were living in my neck of the woods you would have it by now as UPS has usually delivered by this time. You must be living on the West Coast, therefore you are two hours behind me. And it is only 4:30 PM there.

I believe you are going to really enjoy your FloBeds. Take your time putting it together, hopefully you're going to have your husband there to help you. These pieces are not only somewhat heavy, but they are awkward. Be careful how you handle them, as they can tear. I have not torn any of mine, but I can see how it could easily happen. Like I stated somewhere else, picking each piece up as a rolled, or folded piece( you fold it like you would a piece of paper that you're going to stick in an envelope) and pick it up as much as you can with your hands and forearms, cradling the material. When you go to place it in the mattress cover use a kind of flipping waving kind of action and don't try to do too much at once. Again, be careful how you grip it. Don't be too forceful. Take your time.

I believe I've said enough. Good luck!
Reply #64 Oct 15, 2009 8:03 PM
My Flobed shipment did arrive today!  I opened the three boxes to verify all the contents were there and what we ordered.  Unfortunately, I had a new foundation delivered yesterday and it came damaged.  Sooo . . . . I refused delivery and I'm waiting for them to deliver a new foundation this evening.  Can't put the bed together till the foundation arrives.  I'm looking forward to it.
Reply #65 Oct 15, 2009 9:32 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
My Flobed shipment did arrive today!  I opened the three boxes to verify all the contents were there and what we ordered.  Unfortunately, I had a new foundation delivered yesterday and it came damaged.  Sooo . . . . I refused delivery and I'm waiting for them to deliver a new foundation this evening.  Can't put the bed together till the foundation arrives.  I'm looking forward to it.

Hopefully the new foundation will arrive soon and in good shape, and you'll have a good nights sleep.

Give us an update post at your earliest convenience.
Reply #66 Oct 16, 2009 2:19 PM
Another night, another good nights sleep!

Patty and I went ahead last night and changed out the one top layer of soft Talalay on the right side of the bed. I then installed the medium layer.

There is definitely a difference when sleeping on medium rather than soft. The soft layer has an ILD of 22, the medium layer has an ILD of 28. So, if my calculations are correct, that is an increase in firmness of approximately 27%.

Not an insignificant amount, and I could definitely feel it. It is interesting the increase in ILD between the soft layer and the medium layer is considerably more than the other firmnesses. For instance the percent difference between a medium piece at 28 ILD and a firm peace at 32 ILD is only approximately 15%. The difference between firm and extra firm (32 to 36 ILD) is approximately 13% increase in firmness. So the most significant increase in firmness is between the soft layer and the medium layer.

If there are some folks out there that are much better at math than this poor student, please correct my calculations, if need be.

I think I’m going to like this configuration, of course only one night is totally inadequate to draw any concrete conclusions. So to reiterate. The right side of the bed is currently configured like this. Top layer medium, middle layer extra firm, bottom layer extra firm. Left side of the bed, firm/firm/extra firm.

I like having two different firmness levels on either side of the bed. What I have found is that when I first go to bed a softer surface feels better. But as the night wears on I very well may want a firmer feel. This type of configuration allows for that. It all depends on how the body is feeling due to the preceding day. Has it been an exhausting day? Does this exhaustion come from mental strain, or physical strain,or both? The point being, there are so many different intervening variables in our lives that we never know how we are going to actually feel at the end of the day. So it really makes it nice, if you have the room for it, to have a King size bed with a split firmness value for the two different sides.

I think I’m beginning to get the hang of this thing, and am developing a database of experiences in sleeping(if you want to call it that) that will allow me to make choices that will provide for me the best sleeping surface for the future.

This message was modified Oct 16, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #67 Oct 16, 2009 11:01 PM
eagle2 wrote:

The problem with all of this flexibility is the fact that we humans go through quite a psychological process with any new experience. We first must build a small database to adapt to the new experience. Once we get used to this new experience our old experiences tend to fade somewhat. This can make the process of determining what is the best firmness configuration of this type of latex mattress more difficult. If you want proof of this, read some of Jimsocal's frustrations with trying to find the proper bed. He went through the FloBeds experience, and many layers of FBM in trying to find that exact satisfactory mattress configuration. He has not posted in some time but my assumption is he is still working at it.

Hey Eagle2 - glad to hear you're sleeping better with your new flobed.
Usually when I don't post it means I either am super busy or am sleeping really well. In this case it is both.
I have still been tweaking my mattress a little here and there. I have always found that every time I get it "perfect", after a few nights it becomes not so perfect. I can't account for that. I am using quality foam, the springs certainly are not wearing out... so it must just have to do with how I sleep, or what I've done to cause my body to be "out of alignment" that day .. or, who knows?

In any case, the tweaking is minor because I'd say since I did mattress surgery and installed my own foams, my sleep has improved about 80%. I was hurting EVERY morning and night before, getting up with back pain and stiffness. Now , sometimes - when it's "perfect" - I have NO back pain and NO stiffness. Other times, I have a little back pain and a little stiffness.

I have now incorporated my old  Omalon topper into the mix. I took off the Venus memory foam because it felt too soft and now without it, it feels too hard. I am the Prince and the Pea!

Anyway, I actually want to make a post and get some feedback so I'll be back around here soon.

p.s. By the way, just for the record, I have never bought anything from FBM (foambymail). All of my HR foam has come from a local foam distributor who cuts it up from huge mountain-like blocks of foam and sells it mostly to furniture manufacturers. I don't think they're supposed to sell to us, but they do, and cheap. I also got my one piece of latex from them, super cheap because it was just a "remain" they had laying around. Then, my store bought foam like my Venus and my Sensus has come from Overstock.com. My omalon came from a JCP closeout a few years ago.
This message was modified Oct 16, 2009 by jimsocal

Recent Posts