Just bought a new Flobeds
Sep 21, 2009 3:31 PM
I just purchased a new FloBeds. It is the 100% natural Talalay 4 layer mattresses. The top most layer being a soft egg crate 2" piece of Talalay.  

I purchased the following configuration. On the left side of the bed I have a median top layer, firm middle layer, and extra firm bottom layer. On the right side the top layer is firm, the second layer is extra firm, and the bottom layer is extra firm.

I felt that this should give me an opportunity to switch the layers around and come up with the configuration that will work the best for my 6' 2"  210 pound frame. It has been quite a wrestling match, reading all the different descriptions that various people like, when it comes to firmness layers. You also run into this with some of the websites. No two people seem to consider this the same way. So I'm just going to have to experiment.

This is one of the main reasons that I went with FloBeds. They have the most liberal exchange policy coupled with a generous return policy. They definitely get more money than some of the other sites. But when you're purchasing something this expensive from the Internet, and cannot lay on it, feel it, look at it, and even smell it, it's good to have a situation where you can make corrections at a nominal expense. Given the fact that FloBeds has an excellent reputation with the BBB, and Dave and Dewey Turner are excellent people to do business with, it just seemed to make good sense to me to consider the extra cost as an insurance policy.

One last point I would like to make. I just realize that I have been misspelling FloBeds name. I had been misspelling it "FlowBeds." Wrong!    It is spelled FloBeds.com. I hope I have not misdirected anyone.

It will probably take about a week to get this bed in my home, set up, and slept on. When I have had an opportunity to do this I will be sure to post back and let you know what my experiences are, as I know how confusing this kind of a purchase can be.

This message was modified Sep 22, 2009 by eagle2
Re: Just bought a new Flobeds
Reply #51 Oct 14, 2009 6:22 PM
I did read that post about the foundation.  Actually, I did not order a slat foundation from Flobeds.  I am not a fan of slat foundations, and I didn't like what I saw on the Flobeds website.  I just purchased a regular low profile mattress foundation to put my flobed on.  In fact. . . it's the low-profile Triton foundation for the Simmons Natural Care latex mattress.

I honestly don't think the type of foundation makes much difference as long as it is sturdy enough to support the mattress and allows sufficient air flow.
Reply #52 Oct 14, 2009 11:54 PM
Re: Flo beds layer exchange: The sheet that comes with an exchange layer asks that you try it out for a few nights to see what you prefer, and that you return whichever one you don't want within 2 weeks. I know Flobeds is quite accommodating and willing to work with their customers, so I imagine they are flexible on this, but I wanted to mention that this is written on the instructions one receives.
Reply #53 Oct 15, 2009 12:17 AM
Exchanging & the ability to return are great sales points, but now I'm wondering what dealers do with all the used latex layers that have been returned/exchanged.

By state law, Savvy Rest (Virginia)  said they cannot resell, so they shred the latex & make other items - like dog beds.

But I have no idea what FloBeds & SleepEZ do with returned layers...each state has different rules/laws concerning this.

During my research, I do recall that one site that said that while the original layers are brand new, any future exchange layers might not be, so you could get a previously swapped (used)  layer...They did say that they check each layer, but that just sounds unsanitary to me.
Reply #54 Oct 15, 2009 12:25 AM
linda wrote:
Re: Flo beds layer exchange: The sheet that comes with an exchange layer asks that you try it out for a few nights to see what you prefer, and that you return whichever one you don't want within 2 weeks. I know Flobeds is quite accommodating and willing to work with their customers, so I imagine they are flexible on this, but I wanted to mention that this is written on the instructions one receives.

Linda thank you for the heads up. I had not seen this instruction for the two-week time frame. However it does make sense. I will have to watch the calendar on the two layers that I requested for sampling.
Reply #55 Oct 15, 2009 2:33 AM
It does say on the Flobeds website that any exchange layers you get may have come from a previous customer exchange . . .
Reply #56 Oct 15, 2009 11:22 AM
KimberlyH wrote:
It does say on the Flobeds website that any exchange layers you get may have come from a previous customer exchange . . .

Has anyone had any issues with receiving previously used layers from Flobeds?
Reply #57 Oct 15, 2009 1:32 PM
KimberlyH wrote:

Kimberly: I think the operative word here is... "may". It is my guess, based on the limited conversations I had about this subject with FloBeds, that if a exchange layer comes back with any kind of damage, that they either cut it up for samples, or sell it as used merchandise at a significantly reduced price.

I do know that they inspect incoming layers thoroughly,Dewey told me that they not only visually inspect the layers, but run a vacuum sweeper over them, and check them with some kind of a light that shows up any kind of unacceptable material. They do not send out any used layer that has anything visually wrong with it. If a layer comes back soiled I'm sure that they just dispose of it.

They have a great many people who want to buy their mattresses at a reduced price. If any of their layers that are returned do not meet their stringent requirements for cleanliness, they sell them discounted to these folks. This is what I was told by Dewey Turner, and I believe him.

I was also told that not every exchange layer is a used layer that get sent to the customer. It all depends on the availability of that particular firmness. They only use the used layers for exchanges, if first of all there are any available, and if they are the proper firmness ILD. They only send these layers when a new layer in the proper ILD is not available. A lot of it depends on the orders in-house and requirements for specific ILD's. They are usually running behind about a week on shipping of new mattresses. So many things factor in to these shipping requirements.

I was told that they usually don't have that many used layers available. First of all, most customers just do not send in a lot of exchanges. And rather than have used layers stacking up, they will sell them at a reduced price to some of the local population. I was told they actually have a waiting list for these used mattresses. My used layer was more pristine than the original layers that I received in my mattress.
This message was modified Oct 15, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #58 Oct 15, 2009 1:50 PM
spelunk wrote:
Has anyone had any issues with receiving previously used layers from Flobeds?

Spelunk: I have received two layers from FloBeds on an exchange basis. I have not seen anything wrong with them. In fact they look more pristine than some of the original layers that came with the bed. And I have been told that all beds get only brand-new unused layers.

One point I would like to make about this subject, as I have just purchased a new FloBeds and I have thought on the subject a great deal.

Other than a layer that had been soiled, in which case FloBeds I am sure would dispose of it, I would think there is very little damage that can occur to a layer. Here is my thinking on the subject.The first layer to come into contact with the sleeper is of course the mattress cover, which as you may recall is a batting of about 1 inch thick wool. The next layer that would most likely receive any damage would be the top layer of latex. This is the convoluted 2 inch soft Talalay topper that all FloBeds have.  The next layer that would received any kind of perspiration or other bodily fluids, would be the top three-inch support layer. As you go progressively deeper into the bed the likelihood of any kind of substance migrating this far seems to me to be highly unlikely. My guess is, and granted it is purely a guess and I'm not about to test my theory, is that if you were to take a pint of water and pour it directly onto the mattress cover that the likelihood that it could penetrate even to the first three-inch layer is unlikely.

People can become very exercised about a subject like this. But given the kind of customer service that I have received from FloBeds, given the fact that they have a BBB rating that is not only excellent, but has remained so for well over seven years(no complaints of any kind for over seven years), and the character of the people that I'm dealing with at FloBeds, precludes from my mind the thought that any unacceptable layers of latex will be reaching my home.

You of course may feel differently about this, which of course is your right. But think on this. Any company that allows exchanges of layers of latex, I am sure, deals with this situation in a similar manner. FloBeds deals with it in an honest and straightforward manner. I'm guessing that not all companies will do this.

Savvy Rest has been mentioned as a supplier of latex beds. And it is my understanding that Virginia law does not allow any bedding material to be recycled. So any layers that they receive back must be disposed of and not reused as beds. This is one reason that they charge $170 freight for any return layers. And it would be my considered opinion, that this is the principle reason that they do not allow any returns for a full refund without any restocking fees that FloBeds allows. With Savvy Rest, once you buy it, you own it. Now don't get me wrong, this is not a knock against Savvy Rest. I believe they are a good company selling a good product. They just have a different business model due to Virginia law.
This message was modified Oct 15, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #59 Oct 15, 2009 3:03 PM
linda wrote:

Linda: I became concerned about the validity of your two weeks for exchange time limitation, as I currently have two layers that I'm trying out on FloBeds exchange policy. And I've already had it for one week so I wanted to make sure of this timeframe so I called FloBeds and talk to Dewey.

He assures me that FloBeds will allow you the full timeframe of 90 days to test out your mattress any way that suits you. They just want you to be perfectly satisfied in your own mind that you have the proper firmness configuration. So let's say you are into your 90 day time frame by 30 days and you ordered an exchange of a layer or two to try out. You would still have 60 days left to make a determination on what configuration was the most suitable for you.

So I don't know where you got two weeks from, but according to Dewey Turner that is incorrect. Maybe they have something left on their website from sometime in the past and are not aware of it. If you can find it, please post it,as I'm sure they would appreciate knowing where it's at.
Reply #60 Oct 15, 2009 4:12 PM
Hi Eagle,

Perhaps her information came from here:

http://www.flobeds.com/pdf/coreexchange.pdf

This is the pdf file with instructions for exchanging cores.  Very last sentence on the page: "Please return within 10 days of receipt of cores."

What concerns me more is this statement on their website:

"The latex you receive may have fractures or be uneven and may have been repaired with nontoxic glue. These will not affect the ability to provide your body with superior support. Latex may be gently washed with soap and water."

Were any of your latex cores  . . . fractured . . .uneven . . . . repaired with glue?
This message was modified Oct 15, 2009 by KimberlyH

Recent Posts