Just bought a new Flobeds
Sep 21, 2009 3:31 PM
I just purchased a new FloBeds. It is the 100% natural Talalay 4 layer mattresses. The top most layer being a soft egg crate 2" piece of Talalay.  

I purchased the following configuration. On the left side of the bed I have a median top layer, firm middle layer, and extra firm bottom layer. On the right side the top layer is firm, the second layer is extra firm, and the bottom layer is extra firm.

I felt that this should give me an opportunity to switch the layers around and come up with the configuration that will work the best for my 6' 2"  210 pound frame. It has been quite a wrestling match, reading all the different descriptions that various people like, when it comes to firmness layers. You also run into this with some of the websites. No two people seem to consider this the same way. So I'm just going to have to experiment.

This is one of the main reasons that I went with FloBeds. They have the most liberal exchange policy coupled with a generous return policy. They definitely get more money than some of the other sites. But when you're purchasing something this expensive from the Internet, and cannot lay on it, feel it, look at it, and even smell it, it's good to have a situation where you can make corrections at a nominal expense. Given the fact that FloBeds has an excellent reputation with the BBB, and Dave and Dewey Turner are excellent people to do business with, it just seemed to make good sense to me to consider the extra cost as an insurance policy.

One last point I would like to make. I just realize that I have been misspelling FloBeds name. I had been misspelling it "FlowBeds." Wrong!    It is spelled FloBeds.com. I hope I have not misdirected anyone.

It will probably take about a week to get this bed in my home, set up, and slept on. When I have had an opportunity to do this I will be sure to post back and let you know what my experiences are, as I know how confusing this kind of a purchase can be.

This message was modified Sep 22, 2009 by eagle2
Re: Just bought a new Flobeds
Reply #40 Oct 10, 2009 2:00 PM
I had another good nights sleep last night. To just reiterate, I have on the right side of my bed a soft layer, over and extra firm layer, over and extra firm layer. On the left side of my bed I have a firm layer, over a firm layer, over and extra firm layer.

So the left side is more firm than the right side. And it is becoming increasingly difficult to make a determination as to which side I prefer as my body keeps adapting,(as it should) and therefore confusing my ability to make any kind of a determination.

The one thing I’m experiencing that is consistent. We change how we feel regarding the sleep surface through the night. When I first go to bed one side or the other will feel better depending on how the day has gone. Once I get to sleep and have rested, my preference for firmer, or softer, may change. But even that is not consistent. Then towards morning, let’s say the last two or three hours that you spend in bed, it seems as if I change again as far as a preference goes for softer or firmer. It just is not some kind of simple mathematical scientific thing. It’s all tied up with physiology and psychology, and God only knows what else.

And I am sure, that others, would have varying responses compared to mine, utilizing the very same mattress configuration as it currently exists.

It’s understandable why Consumers Reports does not want to test mattresses anymore. Mattresses have become so expensive, and the mattress industry so loves to hide what they actually put into their mattress, to such an extent, that if they were exposed and criticized, Consumer Reports could very well get sued. Also, if their results did not match what their readers feel is the truth for them, they would have a lot of mad readers.

So the frustration that we all feel trying to find the best mattress has a lot of foundation in fact. It’s no wonder we get so frustrated.

Reply #41 Oct 10, 2009 3:01 PM
What I want to know is, where is your wife in all this when you start on one side and decide you want to switch to the other side later in the night :p
Reply #42 Oct 10, 2009 3:25 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
What I want to know is, where is your wife in all this when you start on one side and decide you want to switch to the other side later in the night :p

My lovely wife has her own bedroom and a queen size bed. We have found that this makes life much less complicated. Our doors are always open, so there's no problem from that standpoint either.
This message was modified Oct 10, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #43 Oct 11, 2009 10:13 PM
eagle2, which layers are you sleeping on/most happy with now, by the way? I think I remember you saying you were ordering a medium as well as a soft, to try with your firm and extra-firm configuration.
Reply #44 Oct 11, 2009 11:26 PM
linda wrote:
eagle2, which layers are you sleeping on/most happy with now, by the way? I think I remember you saying you were ordering a medium as well as a soft, to try with your firm and extra-firm configuration.

Linda: I have been reluctant to post my thoughts on each and every day, as I feel it becomes rather redundant.

I had planned to wait until I had made some kind of determination regarding the two new layers before I posted my thoughts. But since you ask I will post a portion of a diary that I am keeping.

"Sunday, October 11, 2009

I awoke this morning feeling quite refreshed. Again, the right side of my bed is soft, over extra firm, over extra firm. The left side of my bed ( looking from the foot to the head) is firm, over firm, over extra firm.

It seems to me when I first get up that I am more alert and flexible than I used to be when I first got out of my waterbed. This is just a feeling I have, at this point in time, and will only know for sure as I have spent more time sleeping in this bed.

I feel there is a definite advantage with having one side firmer than the other. I am probably going to try changing the soft layer, for a medium layer on the right side of the bed. I don’t know how long I’ll wait to do this because I want to give the current configuration plenty of time."

Keep this thought in mind. All FloBeds come with a 2 inch top piece of soft Talalay convoluted latex. So with the soft three-inch piece of Talalay on the right side of my bed I'm actually sleeping on 5 inches of soft Talalay, over extra firm, over extra firm. So the right side of the bed definitely has a softer feel. After I have had sufficient experience with this configuration, I will exchange the soft three-inch top piece for a medium three-inch piece.

The problem with all of this flexibility is the fact that we humans go through quite a psychological process with any new experience. We first must build a small database to adapt to the new experience. Once we get used to this new experience our old experiences tend to fade somewhat. This can make the process of determining what is the best firmness configuration of this type of latex mattress more difficult. If you want proof of this, read some of Jimsocal's frustrations with trying to find the proper bed. He went through the FloBeds experience, and many layers of FBM in trying to find that exact satisfactory mattress configuration. He has not posted in some time but my assumption is he is still working at it.
This message was modified Oct 11, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #45 Oct 14, 2009 1:02 PM
I will make this report short.

Still sleeping on right side of bed, soft/extra firm/extra firm. Left side of bed, firm/firm/extra firm.

This configuration seems to be working out quite well. I will probably try out my medium layer in place of the soft layer when I change my sheets out this Friday.

Currently the most descriptive explanation I can give regarding my FloBeds experience with this current configuration is to say that I look forward to going to bed, and when it's time to get up I am reluctant to do so. It's that comfortable.

I will just make this final reminder note. All FloBeds come with a convoluted soft piece of Talalay latex covering the entire bed as a top layer. So, on the right side of my bed I am actually sleeping on 5 inches of soft Talalay. I put this soft piece there as a test of what the Habitat website says is their most luxurious mattress. Namely 3 inches of soft Talalay over a 6 inch medium firm core of Dunlop. So my configuration has two more inches of soft Talalay than does the Habitat best mattress.
This message was modified Oct 14, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #46 Oct 14, 2009 2:36 PM
Eagle,

Have you been able to keep all of your layers when you order an extra layer to try out? Or do you have to return one layer to get another one?  I'm expecting my Flobed tomorrow and am wondering how that aspect works.
Reply #47 Oct 14, 2009 3:10 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
Eagle,

Have you been able to keep all of your layers when you order an extra layer to try out? Or do you have to return one layer to get another one?  I'm expecting my Flobed tomorrow and am wondering how that aspect works.

Hi Kimberly: The way it works Kimberly is, you can do the exchange request through their website or telephone them to place your order. I telephoned and talk to Dewey. They require a deposit for the cores that you wish to try out. They will charge you this deposit and the cost of return shipping to your credit card and ship the cores to you. You can then keep the cores as long as you wish (within the 90 day time frame that was established when you first purchased the mattress) until you are done testing and have decided on your preference. Then you package up the cores you don't want, apply the shipping label that is supplied with the new cores that had been shipped to you, and shipped them back to them. Once they receive them they will then credit your account for the deposit.

I do not know if there is any limit on the number of cores that you can order at one time, and keep in your possession for the 90 days, but normally I would think that the number of cores that a person would want at any one time would probably be limited to three. I ordered two, a soft layer, and a medium layer. I'm going to take my time about making a decision so that I don't fool myself and wind up sending something back that I wish I had not.

Therein lies the rub. I am finding that I am actually liking all of the different configurations, to one degree or another, so far. It's just a matter of how you're feeling when you're laying on that particular configuration. So I would advise that you not get too many layers involved in the mix. It can become quite confusing. This is the reason that Habitat decided to make three different configurations available and give you six months to try out anyone configuration without any exchanges. Any time after 30 days, if you decide you do not like it during the next 5 months, you can return the mattress for $75 shipping charge and get your money back. But there are no exchanges!

To each his own. But I prefer FloBeds business model,it is so much more flexible.
Reply #48 Oct 14, 2009 4:44 PM
Ok, that sounds reasonable.  I'm a little worried because based on David/Dewey's recommendations, and their interactive firmness evaluator, I ended up ordering a firm/xfirm/xfirm.  I'm a little worried about that because in general I don't like firm mattresses, and I have hip and back pain as a side sleeper.  I'm worried about these firmnesses not giving enough pressure relief.  OTOH, until the new mattress comes, we're sleeping on my daughter's cheap Simmons plush mattress, which after three years has a big sinkhole in it, is really soft, and is absolutely killing my back.

When did this all become so difficult!  The last time I bought a mattress, we walked into a discount mattress store, lay on a few mattresses, picked out a Simmons mattress that was plush/firm all at once and had wool filler, not this foam stuff, had it delivered, and it was a delightful mattress for years and years.  Now I'm afraid to make a decision on anything!
Reply #49 Oct 14, 2009 5:29 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
Ok, that sounds reasonable.  I'm a little worried because based on David/Dewey's recommendations, and their interactive firmness evaluator, I ended up ordering a firm/xfirm/xfirm.  I'm a little worried about that because in general I don't like firm mattresses, and I have hip and back pain as a side sleeper.  I'm worried about these firmnesses not giving enough pressure relief.  OTOH, until the new mattress comes, we're sleeping on my daughter's cheap Simmons plush mattress, which after three years has a big sinkhole in it, is really soft, and is absolutely killing my back.

When did this all become so difficult!  The last time I bought a mattress, we walked into a discount mattress store, lay on a few mattresses, picked out a Simmons mattress that was plush/firm all at once and had wool filler, not this foam stuff, had it delivered, and it was a delightful mattress for years and years.  Now I'm afraid to make a decision on anything!

Kimberly, I hear your pain. I'm not sure when it became difficult, as my last bed was a waterbed that lasted for 10 years. But it certainly seems to me that when you walk into a mattress store today, and are willing to spend between 1000 and $3000 for a mattress that it ought at last at least 10 years.

As far as the firmness advisor goes, I'm sure it has something to do with your husband's weight as well as yours. I'm assuming this is a king size mattress? That your husband is larger than you are? Did you order the bed in two different firmness levels, from side one side two? Hopefully you did and this will allow you to switch some layers around to get a different feel. I have also come to believe, based on some further reading, that the foundation that you put the mattress on can make quite a difference in their perceived softness or firmness of the mattress. Did you read the thread here, http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/fbm-foam-latex-1-year-update/6943-0-1.html   this thread, though it has received few respondents, talks about the foundation that he is using. I made the only response to his post, and it might prove interesting to you regarding this foundation business.

Initially I slept on a firm/extra firm/extra firm. When I first laid down on it it felt very firm indeed. It took at least one night and possibly to before it began to feel okay. One thing that helped was that the other side of my bed was medium/firm/extra firm. And I sleeped on that side if the other side was not comfortable enough. But the longer I laid on it the more comfortable it became.I am currently trying out a soft layer over both of the extra firm layers. The other side of my bed is firm/firm/extra firm. Both sides feel comfortable, which side feels most comfortable depends on how I'm feeling. I roll back and forth two or three times a night trying them out.

Keep in mind, that all FloBeds come with a 2 inch piece of convoluted soft Talalay glued down the middle so that you have one continuous piece. So as I indicated earlier today, one side of my bed currently has 5 inches of soft Talalay over the two extra firm layers. I find it it sleeps quite well. Come this Friday I will exchange the soft layer for a medium layer and see how that sleeps.

One thing I must caution you on again, I know I have stated this before, do not accept your body's initial impressions of what is to firm or too soft. Give it a couple of nights sleep. Do your best to not allow your initial feelings to stampede you into thinking something is either to firm are too soft. You really need to have two or three nights, at least, of sleep before you come to any kind of a conclusion. And then believe me, you can change your mind in another week or two. At least that has been my experience, so far. It would be wonderful if we could lay down on a mattress and within 30 minutes know exactly what is just right for a good nights sleep for the indefinite future. I have come to believe, that except for that very rare individual, it is impossible!

Recent Posts