Just bought a new Flobeds
Sep 21, 2009 3:31 PM
I just purchased a new FloBeds. It is the 100% natural Talalay 4 layer mattresses. The top most layer being a soft egg crate 2" piece of Talalay.  

I purchased the following configuration. On the left side of the bed I have a median top layer, firm middle layer, and extra firm bottom layer. On the right side the top layer is firm, the second layer is extra firm, and the bottom layer is extra firm.

I felt that this should give me an opportunity to switch the layers around and come up with the configuration that will work the best for my 6' 2"  210 pound frame. It has been quite a wrestling match, reading all the different descriptions that various people like, when it comes to firmness layers. You also run into this with some of the websites. No two people seem to consider this the same way. So I'm just going to have to experiment.

This is one of the main reasons that I went with FloBeds. They have the most liberal exchange policy coupled with a generous return policy. They definitely get more money than some of the other sites. But when you're purchasing something this expensive from the Internet, and cannot lay on it, feel it, look at it, and even smell it, it's good to have a situation where you can make corrections at a nominal expense. Given the fact that FloBeds has an excellent reputation with the BBB, and Dave and Dewey Turner are excellent people to do business with, it just seemed to make good sense to me to consider the extra cost as an insurance policy.

One last point I would like to make. I just realize that I have been misspelling FloBeds name. I had been misspelling it "FlowBeds." Wrong!    It is spelled FloBeds.com. I hope I have not misdirected anyone.

It will probably take about a week to get this bed in my home, set up, and slept on. When I have had an opportunity to do this I will be sure to post back and let you know what my experiences are, as I know how confusing this kind of a purchase can be.

This message was modified Sep 22, 2009 by eagle2
Re: Just bought a new Flobeds
Reply #180 Feb 27, 2010 11:25 PM
The Natural Latex Cores are 3" thick while the Blended latex cores are 2.8" thick so maybe they natural cores feel heavier since they are thicker?  I never tried any blended latex core except for the 44 ILD to 46 ILD latex cores so I can't compare a similar ILD latex core in the blended versus the natural.  I just wanted to give some input before I head off to sleep.  I just like logging on to read what is happening in the mattress world from time to time and to see if I can be of any help.
Reply #181 Feb 27, 2010 11:57 PM
eagle2 wrote:
The best that I can recall Leo, the boxes were exactly the same. The difference in weight was due different density of blended ( 70% synthetic, 30% natural) and 100% natural latex. This was quite evident when I went to pick them up. The hundred percent natural is quite a bit heavier than the blended piece.

These were half pieces. In other words about the size of an extra long twin mattress. The weights came from UPS. I'm assuming that they weigh their shipments accurately because it makes a difference in how much money they make. You can usually rely on figures, when if they get it wrong, they're going to lose money!

There is just no question that natural latex is considerably denser than blended latex. I do not know from personal experience, over time, how this would play out of course. As I have stated elsewhere, David Turner, as best I can recall our conversation on the subject, sleeps on a VZone blended latex mattress. When I ask him why he prefers blended, he said, "This is what they were manufacturing at Latex International when I acquired my bed. They were not making 100% natural at that time." And Dave just did not want to go to the trouble to change the mattress. And since Dave Turner is willing to sleep on blended I would think that would end the debate on which is preferable. But for some reason, that I can't fully explain, I just like the idea of all natural latex.

It would really be wonderful if some independent scientific laboratory would test for overall comfort, longevity, and bang for the buck, between 100% natural latex and blended latex manufactured by Latex International. But it's not going to happen, at least I have never been able to find anything on the Internet that comes close to this kind of an evaluation. So Leo, "You pays your money, and you makes your choice!"

For some reason I thought I read that some vendors get quotes for higher weight boxes to get cheaper mailing rates???  I dunno.  Anyway, since my latex from O weighed 11 or 12 lbs. it makes me believe mine is blended talalay then, because mine is EXACTLY 1 1/2" thick and twin XL.  So now I know I truly do want natural talalay, I want DENSER.  I swear mine is softer than it was a year ago.  I have been messing with this for over a year now.  Time for a change.

You said:
There is a 7.6 pound differential between the blended and the natural. The shipping box for the natural weights 31 pounds, the shipped box for the blended weight 23.4 pounds. This is due to the difference in density between the blended piece and the all natural piece, both of them being rated Firm with an ILD of 32.

Since Lynn mentioned the .2" difference that might makes some difference in the weight, a little bit.  But since mine was 11 or 12 lbs each and yours is 32 lbs and yours  is twice the thickness of mine, but same size.  I am just thinking out loud (written) that since mine weighs the same as your blended piece per inch that explains part of my pain.  I think mine is 32ILD or so, because the 24ILD I have is too soft for my hip, but nice and soft for my shoulder.  The other pieces I have to me seem 15% firmer, not much difference, but some.  I am no good at math,  just trying to guess what ILD to try next.
This message was modified Feb 28, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #182 Feb 28, 2010 1:27 AM
No. My piece of blended was 3" thick. I did not want to try a piece of latex that was less thick than my 3" natural because of the feel being different in the middle of the bed. So Dave looked around and found an old damaged piece of 5.6" blended that he could not make into two regular pieces of blended so he cut it into a 3" piece for me. Accept it folks. Natural is denser than blended, and thus heaver.

For those who have not experienced Flobeds...they are very accommodating.  Based upon my experiences, and the experiences of others reporting on this forum, I do not believe I would want to purchase my latex mattress online from anybody else. There are just too many variables to be worked out if you're very critical about how you want your mattress to sleep. Or even if you are like me, and some others on this forum, quite inquisitive about the possibilities of other combination's of latex layering.
This message was modified Feb 28, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #183 Feb 28, 2010 12:38 PM
When I had asked Dave for a 44 ILD Super Firm latex core, he had told me I would need two blended latex cores or my bed would not be level since the blended latex cores are 2.8" thick and the natural latex cores are 3" thick.  I have not talked to Dave in ages but maybe I will email him and ask if Latex International changes their sizes?  Eagle2, did you take out a tape measure like I did to confirm what you are saving that they are the same thickness?  I tried one of the latex cores that was blended on one side and my bed was not level. I had to order two. 
Reply #184 Feb 28, 2010 4:59 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
When I had asked Dave for a 44 ILD Super Firm latex core, he had told me I would need two blended latex cores or my bed would not be level since the blended latex cores are 2.8" thick and the natural latex cores are 3" thick.  I have not talked to Dave in ages but maybe I will email him and ask if Latex International changes their sizes?  Eagle2, did you take out a tape measure like I did to confirm what you are saving that they are the same thickness?  I tried one of the latex cores that was blended on one side and my bed was not level. I had to order two. 

Lynn: Reread what I said.

The latex cores come in to FloBeds from Latex International in 6 inch slabs for natural, and 5.6 inch slabs for blended. What Dave did for me was locate a old damaged piece of blended that was 5.6 inches thick and cut a piece that was 3 inches thick out of this slab since he could not cut it into 2 good pieces of blended that would have been 2.8 inches thick. So I wound up with a 3 inch piece of blended.

I know it was 3 inches thick because I laid it next to my 3 inch piece of natural and they were perfectly level. He wound up with a blended piece that was 2.6 inches that I am assuming he would have to sell as scrap, since it was already damaged anyway, or grind it up into latex pillows, which is what they do with a lot of latex that is too damaged to repair. At least this is my assumption.
This message was modified Feb 28, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #185 Feb 28, 2010 6:18 PM
Eagle2, Dave is so accomodating and this just shows how he tries his best to make each FloBed buyer comfortable.  Thanks for explaining how your blended latex was 3" but someone else that buys the blended latex will have a little bit more give in the cover due to the cores usually being 2.8" thick.
Reply #186 Mar 27, 2010 8:15 PM
We are returning our high end Thempur-pedic tomrrow after 86 days of trying to get use to it.  I found it way to hot and I live in NH and keep the heat at 55 degrees, I can only imagine how it would be in the summer!  I also did not find it inviting, to hard and I woke up everytime I had to change positions and climb out of a hole.  My question is will I have the same type of experience with a Flobed?  Is it also like sitting on a rock?  Our last interspring mattress was terrible and prefer not to go back to one of those.  Please help!
Reply #187 Mar 28, 2010 1:26 AM
I just did, in the thread you just started.smiley

Recent Posts