IKEA Erfjord 85% Natural, 15% Synthetic Mattress - Reviews, Opinions? Or should I just go for a Simmons Beautyrest?
Dec 9, 2007 5:37 AM
I've been trying to do some research about IKEA's apparently new Erfjord mattresses, and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about them. Typically, I prefer to stay away from IKEA for their furniture; however, I like their smaller items like cutlery, plates, and plastic boxes -- ie stuff that can't break due to particleboard material used.

From the little that I've managed to find, their beds are often quite low-budget, but I've still heard some fairly good things about them. For example, for their price, they're very comfortable.

Knowing that latex mattress are exceptionally long-lasting, I searched and found out about the Erfjord. For a queen, it's $999 and that buys what I believe is a Dunlop Mattress that's been shaped in some kind of moulding process to have "7 comfort zones". I'm thinking they just vary the size of the pinholes in the mattress to play with density. Still, not bad! And, a 25 Year Warrantee.

It's 7" thick, made from a blend of 85% Natural, 15% Synthetic Latex, and comes with what looks like a durable, and well made cover made from 100% cotton, 100% wool and 100% silk..

Based on the discussions I've read on the board, the specs all seem to align for unbeatable value; however, I can't seem to find any convincing reviews of this mattress. What do you guys think?

I just put a deposit down on a Simmons Beautyrest from Sleep Country Canada -- completely different beast, but subjective comfortable.

I'm curious about Latex and am somewhat sold by its benefits: doesn't squish down, hypoallegenic, dust mite resistant, etc.

What do you guys think?
Re: IKEA Erfjord 85% Natural, 15% Synthetic Mattress - Reviews, Opinions? Or should I just go for a Simmons Beautyrest?
Reply #6 Dec 28, 2007 4:20 PM
I thought I'd report back in after a couple weeks of sleep testing -- LOVE my IKEA Latex Mattress!

I just had my housewarming last night, and I've received many many compliments and offers for roommates after my friend had a chance on the bed. Ahem. But yes, it's definitely a keeper! Latex mattresses are brilliant, brilliant!

I've been sleeping without a topper and it's fine. There is a bit of goosh even without a topper and the support is wonderful. Money well spent!
Re: IKEA Erfjord 85% Natural, 15% Synthetic Mattress - Reviews, Opinions? Or should I just go for a Simmons Beautyrest?
Reply #7 Dec 28, 2007 6:22 PM
Great news!  Thank you for letting us know.
Reply #8 Dec 28, 2007 8:46 PM
cover your face - take the body blows
Congratulations, may I ask if a foundation was included? is it off the floor?  Ikea sells several kind of bed and slats; and according to the bed experts here, type of foundation, slats, etc directly effects the sleep comfort.

Thanks

Reply #9 Jan 7, 2008 2:34 PM
I initially had the mattress temporarily plopped on top of my futon, and all that on top of a futon frame. As expected, it was extremely cushy -- interesting as it felt extremely gooshy (technical term) but not uncomfortably so.

I now have it on its final resting place on IKEA birch slats with adjustable lumbar support, and it is considerably more firm. The slats themselves are on a custom platform that I built myself.

Beyond the slats, I don't believe a foundation would have any effect on the performance or feel of the bed as the mattress is completely supported by these slats.
Reply #10 Jan 21, 2008 1:09 PM
Another update -- and I don't work for IKEA; but they're having a sale right now. Bought my mattress in December, but I managed to claim a refund of the difference on my mattress purchase price without any hassle. 25% off is a pretty big deal!
Reply #11 Sep 7, 2008 2:34 PM
Kane,

This is a great post!

I bought a King Simmons Beauty Rest 10 years ago and when I got it home for the first little while I woke up after 4 or 5 hours completely relieved and fresh ready to go!

10 years later it is fully hammocked on both sides, and my wife and I are quite tired when we wake up needing a new mattress. We have been all over the place searching and happened our way to IKEA to look for something else. I have to mention that we were QUITE impressed with IKEA as well ... interested with the ERFJORD King ... ended up trying the Tolg Latex Mattress topper hoping for a little relief despite the hammocking.

Had fabulous sleep and wanted to keep it but it was a "bum" shipment and 5" too short, and 4" not wide enough.

How is it working for you still? IKEA has a sale on right now for their other beds, but not interested in a coil ... as I currently have one and there is too much motion transfer for my wife.
Reply #12 Sep 30, 2008 10:42 AM
I'm sure IKEA make great beds..... but after recently purchasing 2 sealy beds, I have been most impressed and shall continue to spread this good word.... They are the comfiest darn things to sleep in.... ever...!!!
This message was modified Sep 30, 2008 by Wiseness
Reply #13 Oct 1, 2008 5:41 AM
Wiseness wrote:
I'm sure IKEA make great beds..... but after recently purchasing 2 sealy beds, I have been most impressed and shall continue to spread this good word.... They are the comfiest darn things to sleep in.... ever...!!!

See how much you like that Sealy after six months.
UPDATED 12 years after (!!!) Re: IKEA Erfjord 85% Natural, 15% Synthetic Mattress - Reviews, Opinions? Or should I just go for a Simmons Beautyrest?
Reply #14 Nov 20, 2019 3:57 AM
Whelp. I was commenting on a friend's post on Facebook and was looking up the old details about this mattress I purchased what.. geesh, 12 years ago now, and came across this forum!

I'm very happy to report that my IKEA latex mattress is still going strong, and I've recommended it numerous times. I think IKEA's replaced the Erfjord a few times over, but their top of the line Latex still has natural wadding and ticking, and still has a 85-15 blend of natural vs artificial latex. 

I know I have a 25 year warranty, and I'm about halfway through that, but heh, it'd be nice to get a new mattress after 12 years.

Minimal sagging after all this time. Mattress still isn't too bad, but I suspect that if I compare it to a brand new one, I'd find differences. Still, all in all, love how solid it's been all these years. Thank you IKEA :)

Recent Posts