help! new mattress too hard. How do I soften it up?
Oct 21, 2009 10:56 AM
Hello,

I recently bought a new latex mattress + latex/wool topper. But the mattress is too hard, and is giving my husband a sore back at night due to pressure points.
Any suggestion on how to soften it up? Would a topper work? I'm a bit anti-memory foam (smell!) - anyone tried anything else that worked?
A cuddle bed? A wool topper? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you all.

Re: help! new mattress too hard. How do I soften it up?
Reply #4 Oct 21, 2009 5:20 PM
jimsocal wrote:

But let me get this straight:
This IS a 100% latex mattress, right? Not an S brand or something with PU foam inside that they CALL a "latex" mattress? Because if it has PU foam inside then you could try taking it apart and replacing the pu foam with latex of various ild.

Yes, the original mattress is 100% latex. No PU foam at all. I'm not going to change anything with the original mattress. The topper is 2" latex (26-32 ild) and 2" wool. I'm thinking that the latex topper is closer to the 32 ild rather than the 26 (at least I'm hoping that is the case....who can really tell unless you have a piece to compare it to?).  I can switch it out for 20-22ild (which scares me as it might be too soft especially for my husband who is 6'4" and 190 lbs) or 23-25 ild.

Recent Posts