Help With Finding a Mattress
Mar 31, 2008 11:40 AM
My husband has had both a neck and lower back fusion.  Right now he sleeps in a recliner most of the time as he can only lay in our bed for about four hours before the pain is too much.  Currently we have a seven inch firm latex matress in a waterbed frame with two foam toppers.  One is 3 inch 3.3 pound viscoelastic memory foam topper and a 2 inch foamex resilitex medium.  We went looking at mattresses and the one so far that seemed most comfortable to him is the Tempur Pedic Bella Sonna because it seemed to feel the best on his pressure points.  However the price is really up there for that mattress. Is there anything out there such as different toppers that we could use to get the same effect the the Bella Sonna? 

Thank you for your help,

Emi

Re: Help With Finding a Mattress
Reply #12 Dec 23, 2008 2:47 PM
MequonJim wrote:
The Resilitex medium does not last long.  Don't keep it more than a year or two.  It noticeably softens, and can be very bad for your back (I speak from experience).  Foamex made a big mistake with Resilitex.

My husband and I bought our first Resilitex mattress from King Koil Mattressmart in Columbus, Ohio 4 years ago.

We have it on a King size pedestel stand, better than a box spring, more comfortable, lasts longer.

Before buying a resilitex mattress we returned at least 5 or more mattresses, we would toss and turn in pain and wake up in pain with all of them.  If there was support it would feel hard and unatural, if it was softer it would not give us support, we even bought a $10.000 tempuridec, awfull, like sinking into wet sand, the sand dries around you and you cant even turn over. 

My husband and I have health issues, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia, pain for years, the first night on a Resilitex mattress it was perfect, comfortable, natural support.  All our other mattresses showed an impression that would not go away after the first night because we both way almost 300 lbs.  No impression even after 4 years, very flat even support while still feeling soft and not fighting back with firmness.  It feels as new as the first day, and we even bought an extra mattress incase in the future it would no longer be available, I cant imagine doing without it.  I hope that I have explained correctly how perfect it is for our pain and body types, its hard to describe the comfortable natural feeling support.  The Resilitex is 4 inches thick on top of and built into a heavy guage lots of  coils mattress made and designed at the King Koil Mattressmart factory.  I hope the foam manufacturer, Foamex, never stops producing it and I hope that my comments will help people with sleeping better.

Re: Help With Finding a Mattress
Reply #13 Feb 16, 2010 3:27 PM
EmiJ wrote:
My husband has had both a neck and lower back fusion.  Right now he sleeps in a recliner most of the time as he can only lay in our bed for about four hours before the pain is too much.  Currently we have a seven inch firm latex matress in a waterbed frame with two foam toppers.  One is 3 inch 3.3 pound viscoelastic memory foam topper and a 2 inch foamex resilitex medium.  We went looking at mattresses and the one so far that seemed most comfortable to him is the Tempur Pedic Bella Sonna because it seemed to feel the best on his pressure points.  However the price is really up there for that mattress. Is there anything out there such as different toppers that we could use to get the same effect the the Bella Sonna? 

Thank you for your help,

Emi

Before buying a Tempurpedic I would try getting rid of the toppers you have and using 1" or no more than 2" of Talalay latex in a Soft ILD (20-24).
The lower back needs support and your 3lb memory foam is not giving that, not at all.
The Tempurpedic feels good but over a short time it will probably be too soft. Try it if you want but my guess is it will not work for someone with lower back pain, over time. Might work for a week or a month or 2-3 months but not for long. I could be wrong. But that's my guess.

What is the ILD and type of your latex base?

My guess is that your problem is the toppers you are using - they are too soft and not supportive enough. 3lb memory foam is horrible in my opinion. Try a soft latex topper. I'd try replacing your 5" of toppers with just 1 or 2" of Talalay. Maybe buy one soft 1" layer and one medium 1" layer, then you can try one or both.

Recent Posts