Heat issues of latex and memory foam
Oct 1, 2010 4:02 PM
We all know the issues of heat from latex (rubber) and memory foam (way too hot).  But the solutions by some are adding wool toppers.  For me I tried wool toppers (2 different ones) and they may make it somewhat cooler but they made the mattress too hard and impossible for me to sleep on.  Then I tried cotton and that helps some, but still makes the mattress firmer.

So what is the solution????  I am sick of waking up every few hours and turning over to cool the overheated area.  I need to sink in some to have pressure relief for side sleeping, so I sleep even warmer because of that.

This message was modified Oct 1, 2010 by Leo3
Re: Heat issues of latex and memory foam
Reply #28 Oct 3, 2010 9:18 PM
I just want to jump in here and say that I'm like Leo on two counts-- 1 I am female. 2 I too feel stitching acutely on most mattress pads so I'm very fussy about what I can lie on.

Read this thread w/ interest while you guys battled it out about whether synthetic fibers are breathable or not, etc.  My own limited experience is that I have an ancient eggcrate PU foam pad, I don't know where it was bought but it's held up amazingly over the years, it's only maybe 2" thick..anyway, it does not cause me to heat up as badly as either memory foam or latex.  [However, another newer el-cheapo Walmart eggcrate was utter crap, hot and too firm..] Unfortunately I cut up the good PU pad for "parts" before I realized the as yet unused new one was nowhere near as good. 

Amazing how many differences there are in these things. Info i wish I did not have to know.

Reply #29 Oct 4, 2010 1:36 AM
Welcome to my club Requin.  Very frustrating isn't it?  I have bought soooo many mattress pads that I threw out. I have tried every available one at local stores.  Then ordered the cuddlebed and that may have been the worst for stitching that was bothersome.

I would feel like an utter idiot if I bought the Dormeir and that didn't work too.  I think that would totally destroy me!  How much more wasted money can I stand to lose?  I compare it to my losing battle with socks that cut off my circulation on my ankles.  Why the heck do they makes things so unbearable uncomfortable?  I don't have fat ankles.  LOL.  I have bought ever brand and kind of socks, same dang thing.

When I slept directly (with a mattress pad) on the regular mattress with the deep tufting I just hated it.   That is one thing I liked about sleep directly on the latex toppers, no lousy tufting.  But then the dreaded mattress pad as you can't sleep directly on latex.

I use to have the eggcrates of olden days too, too bad I threw them out.  They were better than the one I bought from Target, I did take that back it never even expanded.  Not to mention the toppers I got from Bed Bath & Beyond were worthless.  Don't think I returned those.  Who knows what else I have tried I am sure I forgot some.

Edit: I just remembered the expensive featherbed.  More money down the drain.

This message was modified Oct 4, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #30 Oct 4, 2010 12:17 PM
Hi Leo, yes I completely commisserate w/ all the money down the drain.  It is maddening. I also agree about hating the lumpy tops of many mattresses...usually those w/ pillowtops. My previous Comfortaire had a top like that, which I hated and was able to unzip and take off.  (but that was only the beginning of the problems with *that* mattress).

My current new BR has a "plush" top (not really, but it's not a pillowtop), with horizontal stitches in the padding across the top. Padding is minimal maybe 1".  So that type of top doesn't bother me but the bed is too hard!! I really wanted to be able to sleep on it as is (or w/ just a mattress pad (if I could find one w/out bad seams) but so far, no go. So the latex topper is on it and of course, hot and sweaty. Then the wool Snugfleece but that matted up at pressure points and was like lying on the bumpy ground. So I turned it over and now sleep on the backside (cotton, almost like a canvas material) but it's defeating most of the softness of the latex and I wake up feeling like I was hit by a truck.

I'm probably not quite as sensitive as you are re: seams, but I'm pretty sensitive to it.  For years I had a nice Lands End mattress pad that was stitched in long vertical columns about 4" wide...minimal stitching and never a problem with that one.  That was w/ my old BR mattress..I got rid of the pad because it was starting to stretch out on the sides and I had a new one I thought would work..bad idea!  New one had terrible painful stitching and wouldn't you know the old version is no longer available. Wish I'd kept that.

You might like the cotton mattress cover made by Berkeley Ergonomics..I know I would...but it's about $250 in queen size (just for a cotton cover!!) so there's just no way..and of course, non-returnable. Very smooth and stretchy though..really nice. That is how the covers on their beds are made too...with a little wool encased.

Recent Posts