Foam Sweet Foam vs Rocky Mountain Mattress
Apr 5, 2010 2:16 PM
I have decided on purchasing a 3" Natural Talalay mattress topper.  I am looking at the two companies shown above.  Can I get some feedback on either of the two companies.  I know that FSF gets its latex from Latex International.  I don't believe that Rocky Mt does.  The Rocky Mt topper is approximately $100 cheaper, $400 vs $309 for a queen size

thank you

Re: Foam Sweet Foam vs Rocky Mountain Mattress
Reply #4 Apr 6, 2010 3:41 AM
markbnh1 wrote:

I have no experience with Rocky Mountain Mattress, but I can tell you that I am totally satisfied with my 3 inch Queen size topper from Foam Sweet Foam.   It arrived promptly, in pristine condition, and has done the job for me.   The queen size has a seam on one side but it's very cleanly done and totally invisible when in use.  I chose to order it without the cover and feel that was the correct decision.  The bare latex does NOT move around at all.   I just covered it with another old fitted sheet on top, then a standard fitted mattress pad.    I would buy from them again. 

Mark, glad you are happy with fsm's foam! Hope it solves your mattress issue(s). Right, latex on latex or latex on foam does not move around. In fact, latex on much of anything doesn't move around much! I never use a cover on mine, I just put 2 sheets on top of the top layer so as to keep it clean. Currently I have a wool topper on top but sometimes I have just latex on top.

Sandman - thanks for setting me straight on that. I could have sworn they told me both were by Latex Green too, but maybe they just told me the Dunlop was. In any case, I think SleepEZ told me their Talalay was by Latex Green, too! wink OR again, I could be mistaken.

I think both LI and Latex Green are fine, from what I am hearing.

Reply #5 Apr 8, 2010 2:45 PM
I'm not familiar with Rocky Mountain, but I am more than happy to share my experience with Foam Sweet Foam from about one and a half months ago . . .

First - my wife and I decided that we needed to get rid of our decrepid inner spring mattress.  I stumbled onto this forum by scouring the internet and I've learned a lot just from lurking.  What peaked our interest the most was latex - clearly a preferred mattress construction by the visitors to this forum.  I've been to the SleepEZ, Flobeds, etc websites - but we really wanted to lay on a latex mattress to see if it really was what we were after.  Fortunate for us, we live in San Diego and Foam Sweet Foam has a showroom a little more than an hour North of us.  We had exhausted all of the local mattress retailers and were just getting more and more confused by the plethora of names, versions, model lines, etc - basically the same bed over and over but given a different name for each store to complicate comparison shopping.  Don't get me started.

So, we piled our two toddlers into the SUV and we set off for FSF on a drizzly Saturday afternoon - fully expecting to be blown away by a latex mattress and hoping to come home with a new bed that day.  Neither of us had any idea that mattress shopping could be so exhausting, and we were anxious to bring it to a close!  FSF has a nice little showroom, from memory about six different latex mattress 'builds' on display that you can lay on.  It was empty when we arrived - of both customers and employees.  After about fifteen minutes of us laying on the different mattresses, a man came in from the back work area and gave us the 'Oh, great - you brought the little ones!' line.  Asked where we came from, we said San Diego so he know that we had just been in the car for an hour +.  Then he sat down and buried his face in some paperwork that was on a desk - his next words to us were "Please get your daughter away from the bed signs, if they break we'll have to have a new one made."  About ten (awkward) minutes later, my 3 year old climbed up on a mattress next to me - dum dum in hand, and we got "You'll need to get her off the mattress.  If she gets that on the mattress cover we're going to have a problem."  That's verbatim - it was so rude, and caught us so off guard - I don't think I'll ever forget it!  Of course, at this point it was clear that he wasn't interested in our business and we were certainly not going to give him any, so we scooped up the little ones and walked out.  By far the most unpleasant in-person shopping experience I have ever had.  He'll never know that we were actually shopping for two mattresses.

I've meant to come back to the forums and share my experience.  I'm sure the Karma Police will eventually catch up to this clown, but if sharing my experience online helps to expedite that process that would make me happy.  Anyway, I think that's the power of the internet and information-exchange forums like this give us lowly customers a voice. 

Is there anything wrong with the product?  Probably not, although I couldn't really say.  My latex mattress shopping experience was short-lived and entirely unpleasant.  Should it keep you from buying a topper from them - probably not, especially if you can deal with them online.  Of course, I will never buy anything from them . . .

The following weekend we had one of the most pleasant shopping experiences ever - Custom Comfort Mattress Company in Mission Viejo.  Oh - family run, clearly passionate about their business, knowledgeable, friendly, patient . . . I cannot recommend them highly enough.  http://www.customcomfortmattress.com/

That felt good.

Reply #6 Apr 8, 2010 9:48 PM
Thanks for sharing.

I agree that the guy sounds very rude and hopefully this will get back to the owner or manager. Actually, if I were you, I'd copy and paste what you just wrote and mail it to the Manager. That salesman needs an attitude adjustment. Even if the kids were doing something wrong, he could have been more polite and nice about it.

I'm not defending FSM since I never bought from them. But my wife and I did go down there a few years ago. We found the people nice enough, although I do recall not getting a real warm feeling from them, either. Our problem with them was that - as I recall - they did not have a very good sleep trial policy. Here's their policy from their web site:

"

30 Day Exchange - Our goal is that you buy a mattress that is comfortable. Within 30 days of the invoice date, you may exchange one latex layer of the mattress - one time. We will pay for the freight charges of the exchanged layer. The customer is responsible for packaging and paying for freight charges of the returned item back to Foam Sweet Foam. Custom Items may not be exchanged.

60 Day Return - Within 60 days of the invoice date, you may return the purchase. There is an 18% return fee for any returned item. The customer is responsible for packaging and shipping charges back to Foam Sweet Foam. To receive credit, you must return all items listed on the invoice, including promotional items. Products not returned will be billed. All items must be returned in factory new condition. Custom Items may not be returned.

After 60 Days - No item may be returned or exchanged after 60 days."

Reply #7 Apr 17, 2010 1:03 PM
I live in Utah and have been to the Rocky Mountain Mattress sales office out by Thanksgiving Point.  Although, this location was there corporate headquarters and they do not have a true "showroom" I was able to arrange a meeting to have samples of the product shown and explained to me.  I spoke with their "Online Sales Manager" (I think his name was Mr. Mink) and he was refreshingly transparent about all of the foam options, who manufactured what, etc. 

Based on that conversation, I can tell you the following:

RMM's dunlop foam is made my Latex Green

RMM's talalay foam is made by Latex Int.

All of the memory foam is made by either Bayer or Foamex.

We chose the Dunlop from Latex Green as toppers for my two sons and have been very happy.  Except that the boys try and tear off chips of the latex every chance they get!  If you have kids I highly recommend getting one of the covers!  I thought RMM was great from price to service (the toppers shipped within 24 hours of ordering, which was great).  Good luck.

This message was modified Apr 17, 2010 by JtotheA
Reply #8 Apr 17, 2010 3:51 PM
Thanks for the info on RMM.  I am considering either 32ILD LI or 24ILD.  Since this is natural and not blended did Mr. Mink explain if it is firmer or denser?  Does it feel firmer than a same ILD blended?

I am still trying to sleep longer than a one to two hours on my hip without pain.  I have 2" 23ILD over 3" of ??? firmer O-stock latex.  This is over a 12 year old flippable firm mattress.  I am still trying to figure out if I should get natural or blended latex.

Thanks.

Reply #9 Apr 18, 2010 3:58 PM
Aren't there any latex owners who have seen both blended talalay and natural talalay that can tell me if a 24ILD of blended and a 24ILD of all natural is going to feel the same?

Eagle2 is on vacation (LOL) and he did say it was denser, but how much more?  Will the 24ILD natural feel like 28 or 32ILD?

Anyone?

This message was modified Apr 18, 2010 by Leo3

Recent Posts