Firm mattress / low Foam suggestions
Aug 26, 2010 10:55 PM
Hi

I  am considering getting a firm mattress with very low foam / topping in order to avoid sagging. I will use a  separate topper if needed. Any specific brand / model suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I am looking for a high quality mattress with alot of support , probably an innerspring

I live in Washington DC

Thanks

This message was modified Aug 26, 2010 by Daveymo
Re: Firm mattress / low Foam suggestions
Reply #6 Aug 28, 2010 7:34 AM
wow, thanks for all the great info. I have not been out to test any models yest, but will let you know what I find.
Reply #7 Oct 18, 2010 8:45 AM
Here's the info for my older full size Imperial set that I love:

Imperial Bedding
Orthopedic Ultra Firm
Model 49 with cover A26, I believe.
It has the matching box spring, can't see the springs, but there are 6-7 slats and it's only a full size set.

I'm sure about the model number; I think I remember the cover number right.  Peach color woven jacquard, and I love that slick cool fabric and I hate all those sleazy knitter foamy synthetic covers that mattress-makers use today.

Model 49 is no longer on Imperial's web site, just to save you checking.  I am planning to call them and see if it's still made, or what today's equivalent model is, since I don't need to buy my queen set yet.  I bought that full size set in Nitro, WV, back in the late '80s sometime,and only paid $125 or something for it!   I bought it for a guest bed, and I used it full-time for a couple of years after that.  It has no sag, and no body indents.

To avoid pressure points, I put a 2" Simmons mattress topper on it, and a thicker quilted mattress cover over the whole thing.   The 2" topper came from WalMart, and I think it's what's called memory foam now, but it wasn't memory foam back inthe early 2000s when I bought it.

In a full size, the Bonnell or whatever spring is in it has excellent motion dampening.   But I've found that springs that are great in twin or full might sway when you get to queenor king, so always try the size you will be buying, if possible.

Added 12:45PM    Imperial Model 49 is still made, with a few changes since the '80s.  Based on a #312 Bonnell innerspring, but 13 ga now instead of the 13.5 ga wire that mine (probably) has, and the current innerspring spring is also a little taller for some initial softness, I was told.  Cover is 1/2" quilt.   Box spring foundation has a module or modular wire spring now, and the one I have might be a coil.   Mine really gives you  that old fashioned ultra firm & little foam feeling.    This mattress set is now taller than it used to be, but I didn't ask the dimensions.  It's still not a heap of foam, so maybe it's 1" different or something.

The "Bed of Roses,"   Model 59 or 69, is the same spring system as Model 49, but has a 7/8" quilt on it.   It's an upgrade to the Model 49, and you might be more likely to find it in stock somewhere than you would the #49.   I have tried it and liked it, and it was really inexpensive.  But I liked the #640 Tempercoil set better in queen size.  As those matts get larger, I think they need stiffer wire as well as more springs.   I thought that the Lura-flex springs felt great in a twin, but they swayed 'way too much for me in a queen.

The wire in the Model 780 and 640 Tempercoil springs is 15 gauge, and Imperial makes their own Tempercoil.

This message was modified Oct 18, 2010 by TC2334
Reply #8 Oct 31, 2010 1:56 PM
http://barronsleftovers.com/showcaselist.php?item_id=678550   is Imperial model 70, and I think it's probably the closest match to the one that I have in full size, although the model number is different. 

That Barron's site is a good place to page through the Imperial lineup.  You can't even get THAT much information from Imperial's site, lol.

Here is the "All" page:  http://barronsleftovers.com/showcaselist.php?type_id=1150

That "Bed of Roses" set is a much soifter spring than this older full size set that I have.  They have change the moel 49 since I bought mine back in the late '80s or early '90s.  (I've been trying to fugure out what the equivilent is now, so I don't waste any money on the wrong thing.   It's nice haveing a decent bed to sleep on while figuring out what new bedding to buy, hehe.)

This message was modified Oct 31, 2010 by TC2334

Recent Posts