Different options for keeping cool
May 22, 2018 3:27 AM
I've got a very old 1991 Sealy mattress that seems to have springs in it and gets very hot at night. I am a side sleeper and skin that is directly exposed to the mattress tends to get rashes around 5am. From reading the tag, the material consists of 62% blended batting, 60% garnetted cotton, 40% garnetted polyester, boric acid treated, 27% rubberized coir fibe, 11% polyurethane. I don't know if that helps.

I'm looking at solutions for cooling a mattresses and came across 3 categories of solutions.

1) A solution to blow cool air into the mattress itself such as Bedjet: https://www.amazon.com/BedJet-Biorhythm-Technology-Temperature-Mattress/dp/B01BMCWJ7G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1526965184&sr=8-2&keywords=bedjet&th=1

2) Advanced mattresses that have air spacing to allow easy circulation such as: purple.com/mattresses/purple-mattress/buy

3) Some kind of topper: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/951535-independent-sleep-convoluted-gel-memory-foam-combination-full-mattress-topper-blue-white.html

What is an easy and simple way to achieve cooling? What is the most effective? What is the cheapest? How do the different options compare?

Thanks in advance!
Re: Different options for keeping cool
Reply #1 May 28, 2018 12:21 PM
None of these are good enough. You have to do it yourself.

1) BedJet is joke, your comforter will obstruct the air flow.

2) Purple is a little better, but you need a source of air. You will have to punch a hole in the mattress and get a source of air going. But you don't need all these holes. You only need one or two - places on your body where it's hot. An overkill.

3) A convoluted gel foam is just plain silly. How is it even supposed to work. You body creates head and moisture. The topper just traps it. Open cell, closed cell, doesn't matter. These are just laws of physics.

You need to roll your own solution by punching a hole in your existing mattress and getting some weak air fan going. Very little to buy, so there is no one out there who has interest in helping you.

A fellow hot sleeper.

This message was modified May 29, 2018 by a moderator

Recent Posts