Brylane Latex Topper
Feb 2, 2008 4:36 PM
I love everything about my latex bed so far but wish I had a 1.25" soft topper. I love my 1" Overstock Topper but it is not that sturdy and is falling apart and is a little small for the bed. I have been reading about this sale only good until Monday. Those that have the Brylane 1" latex topper, do you think the ILD is softer than the Overstock or the same? What do you think the ILD is? Is it man-made latex, blended latex or natural latex do you think?  Do you have any idea if this is Dunlap latex processing, Talalay latex processing or neither?  Does the latex topper fit the size of the mattress or is it a little small like the Overstock topper that is a little short on all sides?  Does the topper have a smell when it arrives and if it does, how long does it take to go away?  IS there one big piece for the Queen or King size or it the topper glued? 

I am still not sure since it is 1" and not 1.25" or 1.5" but maybe until I have time to call Dave to see if he can find me a softer latex topper than the 1.2" he got me that is wonderful but the 24 ILD seems to squishy to me and I do not sink in enough to feel the very firm support underneath that I love unless I put a 44 ILD under it and then it is too hard but still squishy. Then I go back to my 1" topper with the 36 ILD over the 39 ILD over the 44 ILD and feel this is very comfortable and I can live with this and rather err on the firm side than too soft due to my car accident causing the 5 herniated disks. I really think about a 17 to 20 ILD over a 38 ILD (if there is a 36 ILD that averages higher) over the 39 ILD over the 44 ILD would be best for me in about 1.25" thickness but I doubt if anything like this is made.  :) 

I like that there is only a tiny fee to return it if it is not what I want. I wish the sale was for another week since I want to call Dave first and see if he has any ideas.

Re: Brylane Latex Topper
Reply #73 Feb 14, 2008 9:11 PM
auart wrote:
Someone please tell me if the Brylane EVER comes in a King size? Just looking for a low cost topper that is soft to add to my Dunlop Mattress. The price is good but never a King!

Any ideas on a good price on a King sized topper Soft? I bought my sons topper and mattress from Foambymail and I am very happy with that so I may be buying my topper from them, but the Brylane price is good!

2 x twin toppers = a king topper in most cases. You could just lay them side by side.
Re: Brylane Latex Topper: Free Shipping at BrylaneHome.com through 2-18-08 Monday using Promo Code PHPRES on orders $39 or more http://www.brylanehome.com/?affiliate_id=020&affiliate_location_id=01&WT.srch=1
Reply #74 Feb 14, 2008 11:51 PM
I am trying to paste what I copied from an email I sent myself but it is so difficult to paste anything in this site:

Free Shipping at BrylaneHome.com through 2-18-08 Monday using Promo Code PHPRES on orders $39 or more http://www.brylanehome.com/?affiliate_id=020&affiliate_location_id=01&WT.srch=1

Reply #75 Feb 15, 2008 4:51 AM
All by itself the Brylane topper felt pushy rather than cushy--not as relaxing or conducive to sleep--so I put the 1" Overstock memory foam topper over it. On top of the very firm carpeted portion of the bed the combination actually felt very nice. Firmer than my 2" 4lb memory foam topper but more substantial and cradling than the 1" visco alone.  But when I moved on to the uncarpeted portion of the bed it was way too soft, and I really don't want to add even more foam to a mattress that already has more than enough soft foam as it is.

I ended up taking it off the bed as I suspected I would, but I'm probably keeping it for future mattress reconstruction. I think it will make a nice middle layer sandwiched between a firm HR base layer and a top layer of memory foam. Then again, I've been wrong about Talalay before, so I might just try it out in the guest room on my old extra firm innerspring mattress before the 90 day return window closes. If I can get past 2 nights without the insideous properties of Talalay creeping up on me, then it should be fine. It really is a nice topper for the money. My guess is it falls in the 24-26 range.

Reply #76 Feb 16, 2008 2:30 AM
I am still airing out the Brylane Topper despite it hardly having any smell to begin with. I just know it is a blend so I want to make sure both sides over my banister have time to air out from being in that plastic bag. Now I need someone to help me put in on the bed since I no longer carry anything with weight on it for fear of hurting my back and neck even more so since the car accident. I used to have no problems doing everything myself. I will update everyone in a few days on how it feels compared to my overstock latex soft topper and how it feels over my very firm latex cores. 
Reply #77 Feb 16, 2008 3:13 AM
I got my Carpenter Dream Coil topper today. I haven't taken it out of the package yet, but I can see through it. We're going away for the weekend, so I might give it try when we get back. My mattress has been feeling pretty darn good the past few nights, so I hate to mess with it! :) But I am curious to see how this new topper feels.
Reply #78 Feb 17, 2008 5:28 AM
Lynn2006 wrote:
I am still airing out the Brylane Topper despite it hardly having any smell to begin with. I just know it is a blend so I want to make sure both sides over my banister have time to air out from being in that plastic bag. Now I need someone to help me put in on the bed since I no longer carry anything with weight on it for fear of hurting my back and neck even more so since the car accident. I used to have no problems doing everything myself. I will update everyone in a few days on how it feels compared to my overstock latex soft topper and how it feels over my very firm latex cores. 

Good idea, Lynn. I thought mine had aired out after a few hours because I could no longer smell it when I walked into the room, but when I put it on the bed and climbed in I kept getting whiffs of that plastic smell from the bag, and that kind of bothered me.

I'm still wondering what the ILD on this thing actually is. In the 1" thickness it feels kind of soft and I had it guestimated at 24-26. However, when you double it over, or even triple it so that it approximates a 3" core, it feels much firmer than that. Closer to a 32. I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions. 

Reply #79 Feb 17, 2008 5:34 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
I got my Carpenter Dream Coil topper today. I haven't taken it out of the package yet, but I can see through it. We're going away for the weekend, so I might give it try when we get back. My mattress has been feeling pretty darn good the past few nights, so I hate to mess with it! :) But I am curious to see how this new topper feels.

I'm looking forward to your report on the Dream Coil topper, although I have to wonder why you want to add something new when it seems like you've got the bed configured just right. Hope you had a fun weekend away!
Reply #80 Feb 17, 2008 3:14 PM
cloud9 wrote:
I'm still wondering what the ILD on this thing actually is. In the 1" thickness it feels kind of soft and I had it guestimated at 24-26. However, when you double it over, or even triple it so that it approximates a 3" core, it feels much firmer than that. Closer to a 32. 

Hmmm... that's interesting. I wonder if we should try both of the toppers together. We slept on just one of them and it killed our backs, it was so soft. Cloud9, do you think with two it would really feel firmer? Did you try sleeping the night on the doubled-up version?
Reply #81 Feb 18, 2008 5:06 AM
kimmcgov wrote:
Hmmm... that's interesting. I wonder if we should try both of the toppers together. We slept on just one of them and it killed our backs, it was so soft. Cloud9, do you think with two it would really feel firmer? Did you try sleeping the night on the doubled-up version?

I haven't tried sleeping on it doubled up. Mainly because I don't really like the pushy nature of Talalay. I had to tone it down by putting my 1" Overstock memory foam topper over it, and I did like the way that felt on the firmed-up portion of my bed. Any topper will feel softer or firmer depending upon what's under it. If you're bed is pretty soft to begin with putting more foam of any kind on top of it is only going to make it softer and you will hammock more deeply into the mattress leading to back aches.

There's also the possiblility that Talalay doesn't agree with you and the foam itself is giving you a backache. I had a horrible time with a Talalay mattress and after six weeks of torture I had to return it, so I was a little apprehensive about subjecting myself to even 1" of the stuff. All I can suggest is that since you have the two toppers give it a try. My back is so sensitive that I can tell if something is going to give me a backache after about 45 minutes. If you read or watch TV in bed that would give you a couple of hours to test out the two toppers so you can take them off before you go to bed if it seems like a bad idea.

Reply #82 Feb 18, 2008 2:20 PM
One of my friends helped me switch the overstock topper with the Brylane Topper under my zipped cover today. The Overstock Topper is 3/4" thick when it has no long ridge and 1" thick at each convoluted ridge under it. The Brylane Topper is 1" thick with no convolution. I will let everyone know how my sleep is tonight. I was so comfortable until the car accident now my back is so extra sensitive.

Recent Posts