Brylane Latex Topper
Feb 2, 2008 4:36 PM
I love everything about my latex bed so far but wish I had a 1.25" soft topper. I love my 1" Overstock Topper but it is not that sturdy and is falling apart and is a little small for the bed. I have been reading about this sale only good until Monday. Those that have the Brylane 1" latex topper, do you think the ILD is softer than the Overstock or the same? What do you think the ILD is? Is it man-made latex, blended latex or natural latex do you think?  Do you have any idea if this is Dunlap latex processing, Talalay latex processing or neither?  Does the latex topper fit the size of the mattress or is it a little small like the Overstock topper that is a little short on all sides?  Does the topper have a smell when it arrives and if it does, how long does it take to go away?  IS there one big piece for the Queen or King size or it the topper glued? 

I am still not sure since it is 1" and not 1.25" or 1.5" but maybe until I have time to call Dave to see if he can find me a softer latex topper than the 1.2" he got me that is wonderful but the 24 ILD seems to squishy to me and I do not sink in enough to feel the very firm support underneath that I love unless I put a 44 ILD under it and then it is too hard but still squishy. Then I go back to my 1" topper with the 36 ILD over the 39 ILD over the 44 ILD and feel this is very comfortable and I can live with this and rather err on the firm side than too soft due to my car accident causing the 5 herniated disks. I really think about a 17 to 20 ILD over a 38 ILD (if there is a 36 ILD that averages higher) over the 39 ILD over the 44 ILD would be best for me in about 1.25" thickness but I doubt if anything like this is made.  :) 

I like that there is only a tiny fee to return it if it is not what I want. I wish the sale was for another week since I want to call Dave first and see if he has any ideas.

Re: Brylane Latex Topper
Reply #57 Feb 12, 2008 1:18 PM
LOL. Deep fried donuts! I love the smell of talalay latex! At least it's not fattening. :-)

mattressmom wrote:
Deep fried donuts. Tee hee... Some people might find that a selling point. I wonder if they add that smell or if that is the natural latex. All the other plain latex pieces I got from Sleep Comp had absolutely no smell at all. The natural Dunlop six inch cores and the 2" 36 ILD Talalay were all from Sleep Comp - but they might have been made by Latex International for all I know. I'm so confused about all these manufacturers and suppliers.......
Reply #58 Feb 12, 2008 2:37 PM
My Brylane Latex Topper arrived and I opened it up to air it out and the smell is mild compared to a topper I was sent that had a glue seam and was 100% natural Talalay Latex that smelled so bad for several days. I will air it out a few days before trying it. It definitely is as soft as my Overstock topper and is fragile too since it just ripped.  It is a little dirty but look like once I air it out it will be the right size for my bed. If it is a little big I may have to cut it so it will not bunch up since the 1.5" latex topper Dave sent me bunched up bothering me being slightly too big for the one I just sent back. But the one Dave sent me was sturdier and much nicer but had that glue seam and I think the glue seam bothers my allergies.

I can see I will not be putting my Overstock topper over this as I was hoping it would be a 32 ILD. I will see how it is compared to my overstock topper and report back to all of you.  Then I can call Dave and let him know if I need one of the 36 ILD's exchanged for a 39 ILD so both sides of my bed are equal.

My Overstock Pillows arrived also but despite having just about no smell and being so white the natural latex is not any softer or flatter than the latex pillows I bought from them lat year. Their web site seemed to indicate it was so I was thinking I would be getting a lower profile pillow. Oh well, now I just have extra pillows and feel a bit disappointed.

Reply #59 Feb 12, 2008 4:58 PM
I just got mine today, too. I'm almost afraid to take it out because something tells me this might be too soft. It feels very similar to my Overstock topper, only without the convoluted side. You're right that it seems like it could tear easily. I sure wish they would have listed the ILD. I'm just concerned it's going to end up causing lower back pain like the other one. If I can be assured of folding it back up easily and getting it back into the bag, I might give it a try. I like the $39.99 price of the Overstock topper better. :) We'll see! I sure couldn't see laying on two of these stacked. I would sink in way too much.

Lynn2006 wrote:
My Brylane Latex Topper arrived and I opened it up to air it out and the smell is mild compared to a topper I was sent that had a glue seam and was 100% natural Talalay Latex that smelled so bad for several days. I will air it out a few days before trying it. It definitely is as soft as my Overstock topper and is fragile too since it just ripped.  It is a little dirty but look like once I air it out it will be the right size for my bed. If it is a little big I may have to cut it so it will not bunch up since the 1.5&quot; latex topper Dave sent me bunched up bothering me being slightly too big for the one I just sent back. But the one Dave sent me was sturdier and much nicer but had that glue seam and I think the glue seam bothers my allergies.</p><p>I can see I will not be putting my Overstock topper over this as I was hoping it would be a 32 ILD. I will see how it is compared to my overstock topper and report back to all of you.  Then I can call Dave and let him know if I need one of the 36 ILD's exchanged for a 39 ILD so both sides of my bed are equal.</p><p>My Overstock Pillows arrived also but despite having just about no smell and being so white the natural latex is not any softer or flatter than the latex pillows I bought from them lat year. Their web site seemed to indicate it was so I was thinking I would be getting a lower profile pillow. Oh well, now I just have extra pillows and feel a bit disappointed.
Re: Brylane Latex Topper---sent it back
Reply #60 Feb 12, 2008 6:54 PM
Well, I decided to send my Brylane topper back. I laid it on our bed, draping it over my side and tucked it in under the CuddleBed fiber topper I have (and LOVE). I did NOT like the soft, squishy feel of the latex. I tried it without the CuddleBed and still didn't care for the way it felt under my back. I can just tell my lower back would start to ache if I slept on this for any length of time. So, I packaged it back up and I'm taking it back to UPS tomorrow. It didn't really feel much different that my Overstock toppers. If I want that kind of feel, I'll just stick to those (for the lower price.)

You know, I honestly don't think I do well with latex or memory foam toppers. I can handle medium and firm latex inside a mattress, but none of it on top. I'm beginning to feel I might do better with the type of HR polyurethane Geo-Matt I mentioned in another thread. http://www.spanamerica.com/geomatt.php If over 4,000 hospitals use it for pressure relief they can't be too bad. And, as I said, I slept on something similar, if not the same thing, for 2 nights when I was in the hospital and my back felt fine. I notice that Overstock.com sells a King for $99.99. $2.95 shipping and sometimes FREE.

Of course, this is IF I were going to have a topper, Ideally, I prefer to have my mattress feel great without having to add anything for enhancement. I really like the way my CuddleBed gives it that extra "cush", so I think that's all I really want. I'm getting used to the firmer feel of my mattress without all the foam on top. If I still feel like I want some more softness, I might try that Geo-Matt or even ask my mattress guy what he suggests in a good HR PU topper. The Geo-Matt is 3.5" high which might be too much.
Re: Brylane Latex Topper- Measurements and ILD Guess Update
Reply #61 Feb 12, 2008 9:50 PM
I measured my Brylane Topper and if I keep it, I will have to cut it since I hate it when it is too big and bunches up causing me discomfort.  I am airing it out but it really does not have a strong odor like the other latex toppers I tried out.   It is 61.75" wide and 80.75" long. I do not understand why Latex manufactures can not cut a topper the right size. Too big to me is worse than too small since it then will not lie flat inside the zippered mattress cover.  But it is soft and it may work over three very firm layers with nothing under it. I will compare it with my Overstock topper. I was just surprised at how easy it tears also so I guess 1" soft latex is fragile. To me it feels like no more than 22 ILD but I was told it was 26 to 32 ILD.  But I have no idea what my Overstock Latex topper's ILD is (but they feel about the same softness to me) and I know the really nice and sturdy and silky topper I just sent back to FloBeds (was 1.5" of 24 ILD on the average if anyone is interested... I did not like the glued piece and it felt too cushiony for me for being too thick after all..... think I need only a 1" topper for my back.... would have loved the thicker topper for my shoulders and I almost kept it and cut it......) was firmer than this topper unless it just feels softer since it is only 1". Of course it is over my banister right now so I had to use a metal ruler to measure with it hanging down and my fingers to feel it. Maybe it will feel differently when I like on it.  I like that it is a full 1" with no convolution and it is Talalay Latex since that processing does not bother my allergies.
Reply #62 Feb 12, 2008 11:07 PM
"I'm beginning to feel I might do better with the type of HR polyurethane Geo-Matt I mentioned in another thread."

BeddyBye, did you see this when you were looking at the JCPenney site:

http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?ItemID=1126e08&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=STY&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=mattress+pad&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&CmCatId=SearchResults&Search1Prod=True

Dream Coil Foam Mattress Pad
Never goes flat!
5-zone support pad
Air ventilation design keeps you cool
Lifetime manufacturer's warranty
Firm support. Patented Omalon® foam is guaranteed never to go flat. Supports your body with special emphasis on critical pressure points. 1½" thick.

It looks intriguing. It is Omalon foam — not sure how that compares to HR foam (what IS that anyway?) It's not as thick as the Geo Matt which might mean it fits inside your mattress. The price is right — $39.00 for a queen size — AND it has a lifetime warranty (better than latex). Anyone else have any thoughts about this?
Reply #63 Feb 12, 2008 11:57 PM
If it is polyurethane, I am allergic to the outgassing. But if someone does not have allergies to the outgassing of chemicals, then it sounds like a very good deal.
Reply #64 Feb 13, 2008 3:14 AM
Hi kimmcgov~

I had seen this topper several months ago and was curious. But, now I might just go ahead and buy one! I was going to get the XL Twin for $29.99, but for $49.99 I can get the King. I notice it's wider than two XL Twins would be side by side. I can always cut it in half if I want to put each layer inside our individual mattresses. (If I don't want to use it as a topper.)

I wonder what the ILD is. I see that it's a high density, which is good. I also see that they use 6" cores of Omalon in mattresses under softer comfort layers. Do you think this Dream Coil topper would be TOO firm to lay on as a comfort layer? Or would it be better tucked inside my current mattress? Hmmmm. Interesting. I'm going to see if I can find a free shipping code for JCPenney.

Did you ask what HR foam is? It's High Resiliency:

High Resilience (HR) Foam A variety of polyurethane foam produced using a blend of polymer or graft polyols. High resilience foam has a less uniform (more random) cell structure different from conventional products. The different cell structure helps add support, comfort, and resilience or bounce. High resilience foams have a high support factor and greater surface resilience than conventional foams and are defined in ASTM D3770.

Thanks for showing me this topper! I'd be interested in others' opinions.

kimmcgov wrote:
&quot;I'm beginning to feel I might do better with the type of HR polyurethane Geo-Matt I mentioned in another thread.&quot;<BR><BR>BeddyBye, did you see this when you were looking at the JCPenney site:<BR><BR>http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?ItemID=1126e08&amp;ItemTyp=G&amp;GrpTyp=STY&amp;ShowMenu=T&amp;ShopBy=0&amp;SearchString=mattress+pad&amp;RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&amp;CmCatId=SearchResults&amp;Search1Prod=True<BR><BR>Dream Coil Foam Mattress Pad <BR>Never goes flat!<BR>5-zone support pad<BR>Air ventilation design keeps you cool<BR>Lifetime manufacturer's warranty<BR>Firm support. Patented Omalon® foam is guaranteed never to go flat. Supports your body with special emphasis on critical pressure points. 1½&quot; thick.<BR><BR>It looks intriguing. It is Omalon foam — not sure how that compares to HR foam (what IS that anyway?) It's not as thick as the Geo Matt which might mean it fits inside your mattress. The price is right — $39.00 for a queen size — AND it has a lifetime warranty (better than latex). Anyone else have any thoughts about this?
Reply #65 Feb 13, 2008 4:08 AM
I bit the bullet and ordered ithe Dream Coil. I figure I can always drive 30 miles to return it to Penneys if need be. I ordered the King so I can lay it across both our XL Twin mattresses if I want to try it as a topper. I'm wondering if this will be just the opposite of the Brylane Latex topper and be too FIRM. :) We shall see! I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again, kimmcgov.

kimmcgov wrote:
&quot;I'm beginning to feel I might do better with the type of HR polyurethane Geo-Matt I mentioned in another thread.&quot;<BR><BR>BeddyBye, did you see this when you were looking at the JCPenney site:<BR><BR>http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?ItemID=1126e08&amp;ItemTyp=G&amp;GrpTyp=STY&amp;ShowMenu=T&amp;ShopBy=0&amp;SearchString=mattress+pad&amp;RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&amp;CmCatId=SearchResults&amp;Search1Prod=True<BR><BR>Dream Coil Foam Mattress Pad <BR>Never goes flat!<BR>5-zone support pad<BR>Air ventilation design keeps you cool<BR>Lifetime manufacturer's warranty<BR>Firm support. Patented Omalon® foam is guaranteed never to go flat. Supports your body with special emphasis on critical pressure points. 1½&quot; thick.<BR><BR>It looks intriguing. It is Omalon foam — not sure how that compares to HR foam (what IS that anyway?) It's not as thick as the Geo Matt which might mean it fits inside your mattress. The price is right — $39.00 for a queen size — AND it has a lifetime warranty (better than latex). Anyone else have any thoughts about this?
Reply #66 Feb 13, 2008 4:29 AM
Got my Brylane topper today. I was surprised to find that it didn't smell like fried donuts--it didn't smell like much of anything at all, other than the vinyl bag it was packed in. I had been bracing myself for that overpoweringly sweet smell that LI latex has.

The overall quality seems nice. But like all soft latex it is delicate and you have to handle it carefully. I let it air out for a few hours and put it on my bed. Although the foam felt very soft to the hand, similar to the 20-22 layer I had from SleepEZ, it actually made the bed feel harder than it does with the 1" Overstock memory foam topper on it. And not as cushy. I'm not sure if I'm going to try sleeping on it alone or put the memory foam back over it. But that might make the bed too soft for me.

So right now the jury's out on whether it's a keeper or not. If I decide it won't work on my current mattress I'll try it out with the memory foam on the extra firm guest room bed. That will help me decide whether I want to keep it for when I reconstruct my mattress or if latex undermines my back support even at 1".

Recent Posts