Brylane Latex Topper
Feb 2, 2008 4:36 PM
I love everything about my latex bed so far but wish I had a 1.25" soft topper. I love my 1" Overstock Topper but it is not that sturdy and is falling apart and is a little small for the bed. I have been reading about this sale only good until Monday. Those that have the Brylane 1" latex topper, do you think the ILD is softer than the Overstock or the same? What do you think the ILD is? Is it man-made latex, blended latex or natural latex do you think?  Do you have any idea if this is Dunlap latex processing, Talalay latex processing or neither?  Does the latex topper fit the size of the mattress or is it a little small like the Overstock topper that is a little short on all sides?  Does the topper have a smell when it arrives and if it does, how long does it take to go away?  IS there one big piece for the Queen or King size or it the topper glued? 

I am still not sure since it is 1" and not 1.25" or 1.5" but maybe until I have time to call Dave to see if he can find me a softer latex topper than the 1.2" he got me that is wonderful but the 24 ILD seems to squishy to me and I do not sink in enough to feel the very firm support underneath that I love unless I put a 44 ILD under it and then it is too hard but still squishy. Then I go back to my 1" topper with the 36 ILD over the 39 ILD over the 44 ILD and feel this is very comfortable and I can live with this and rather err on the firm side than too soft due to my car accident causing the 5 herniated disks. I really think about a 17 to 20 ILD over a 38 ILD (if there is a 36 ILD that averages higher) over the 39 ILD over the 44 ILD would be best for me in about 1.25" thickness but I doubt if anything like this is made.  :) 

I like that there is only a tiny fee to return it if it is not what I want. I wish the sale was for another week since I want to call Dave first and see if he has any ideas.

Re: Brylane Latex Topper
Reply #19 Feb 6, 2008 3:17 PM
I just got a 25% off coupon code via e-mail from Brylane. I hope it lasts a few days. I want to wait until I get the latex topper I ordered a couple days to see how I like it. If I do, then I'll get another one for my husband's side. I had ordered the Queen because I need an XL Twin and they're both 80" long. After I cut them to fit, I'll have two pieces that will more than equal another XL Twin when I put them together. So, three XL Twins for the price of two.
Reply #20 Feb 6, 2008 11:27 PM
I got the same 25% off coupon so I decided to use it today to buy the Talalay latex topper since maybe it averages out to 32 ILD 1" and then I can ask Dave if he can get me a 1" soft latex topper on top of this (f he can't I will just live with my Overstock Topper until it is not usable) and then I can move up my 44 ILD latex core to the middle of my three latex cores so that I have 36 ILD over 44 ILD over 39 ILD.  I will let you know how I like the topper. 

My toppers from Dave at FloBeds have been all 100% natural latex so I am hoping that the blended so close to the top of the mattress will be OK. I have had no problems with the blended latex 44 ILD latex cores so far while all my other latex cores are Natural Talalay Latex and not blended. 

If the Brylane Topper is not right for me, I will just send it back since despite my car accident changing my comfort level to needing my bed a bit firmer, I really am comfortable with the set-up right now with the 1" latex topper over the 36 ILD over the 39 ILD over the 44 ILD. My concern is the topper I now have is the Overstock topper that is ripped (not nearly as sturdy as the toppers Dave sent to me but the Overstock Topper is so soft at 1" and I think I like that but no more than this depth in this softness) and I do not think it will last so long so I am trying to find a suitable replacement. I wanted a 1.5" topper but I think it is too squishy for me (dave sent me one that is so nice so I feel so bad but I had thought I wanted 1.5 at 24 ILD) being that I was not sinking in enough.  I do love my bed and love how I do not turn from side to side all night like I used to.  I never had toppers before but now I see I just like that little bit of cushion but with very firm support underneath.  Maybe I will end up needing a 1" 32 ILD topper from Dave if the topper from Brylane averages out to 26 ILD since they said it ranged from 26 to 32 ILD.  I will keep you all updated.

BeddyBye, KimMcGov, let us know how you like your toppr since I am sure yours will arrive before mine arrives.

Reply #21 Feb 7, 2008 12:22 AM
Lynne, I'm glad that you called Natura and found out about the firmness of the topper. Thanks for sharing that info. Brylane doesn't seem to be set up to have that much detailed information about their products. I'm thinking if it is closer to 32 ILD, I'll do the same as you and get another 1 inch softer layer for on top.

I'm kind of amazed that this is a Natura topper and that it is so cheap. We have a Natura fleece wool mattress pad that we got as part of our comfort exchange when we traded for a lesser priced innerspring mattress. They weren't about to give us any money back, so we picked out this topper worth $300.00 to make up the difference (I never would have spent that much on it otherwise).

I just got an email today from Brylane saying that they had shipped my toppers. Finally— I placed the order a week ago. So be prepared for it to take a while to get yours...

Kim
Reply #22 Feb 7, 2008 3:33 AM
Hmmmm...I was hoping it would be about 25-28 ILD. I already have two 1" 32 ILD talalay latex layers. I wanted something a wee bit softer just to make it cushier on my hips. Well, I'll have to compare it when it arrives. Thanks for the info, Lynn.

Lynn2006 wrote:
mccldwll, I just got off the phone with Natura about 15 minutes ago. They are located in Canada. You are so right that they specially make this topper for Brylanehome.com and it is a 1" blended Talalay Latex Topper with a 60% synthetic latex blended with 40% natural latex with a firmess that is medium ranging from 26 to 32 ILD.  Telephone operators should have a better description of the products they sell.  Thank you again. I am just letting others know to correct my misinformed prior post. 
Reply #23 Feb 7, 2008 7:53 AM
I have 3. I haven't tried to calculate ILD yet, but I think it will be closer to 26 than 32 (I have a piece of 3", 36 ILD LI w/ an average ILD of around 33 for comparison).
Reply #24 Feb 7, 2008 12:43 PM
mccldw, Thanks for the information so maybe the toppers will be around 26 or 28 and not the up to 32 ILD Natura sazys they could be.

I have four 36 ILD latex cores here and one averages a little over 39 ILD, one averages 35 ILD, and the other two feel around 36 to 36 ILD since their average report is partially gone.  I know one of my two 44 ILD"s averages about 46 ILD.  I will have something to compare the topper's softness to when it arrives.

Maybe they average all different and some people will get the softer ones and others will get the firmer ones but they did tell me they average from 26 to 32 so we will have to wait and see. 

The price was so good, with the 25% off coupon for a Talalay Tatex topper despite it being a blend that I had to take a chance.  If it is not right for me, then at least I will be that much closer to figuring out what topper I need to replace my Overstock Topper that I have on top of my FloBed since the 2" topper it came with was too soft for me being that I am not quite 5 feet and not quite 100 lbs so I did not sink enough in to feel the firmness underneath. Mind you that I slept on the carpeted floor on this 1" topper for a few months before ordering my Latex bed and I was comfortable so I like firm beds. :)

I slept on my firmer side of my bed last night and I woke up so comfortable. Some nights I like the firmer side and other nights I like the softer side since my car accident in August 2007.  My firmer side is 1" very soft Overstock topper over 36 ILD 3.0" natural Talalay Latex Core over 44 ILD blended Talalay Latex 2.8" Latex Core over 36 ILD Natural Talalay 3.0" Latex core.  So far I like both sides of my bed with one firmer than the other. Again, if my overstock topper was not ripped and in better shape, I would leave everything the  way it is since I am comfortable. The topper I am sending back to Dave is 1.5" averaging 24 ILD. It is a Queen Size 100% natural Latex Topper with the best feel but it is too squishy for me with not being soft enough for my shoulders but too squishy for my lower back. So I am hoping the Brylane Topper is a 32 ILD for me unless a lower ILD with only 1" will feel better. 

Again, For years I just turned from side to side all night to get off my pressure points as I slept on an extra firm Posteurpedic Bed over a platform bed with no cushion at all on top. This topper with a tiny bit of cushion for my pressure points is a new idea to me and I really know it works since I do not move so much now that I am sleeping so I am getting a better quality of sleep. Now I just need to go to bed earlier and stop analyzing things at night on the computer.

Reply #25 Feb 7, 2008 6:03 PM
That sounds promising. I would prefer the topper to be more like a softer-medium, as opposed to a medium-firm. Something in the middle. It shipped today, so I have about a week before it arrives.

mccldwll wrote:
I have 3. I haven't tried to calculate ILD yet, but I think it will be closer to 26 than 32 (I have a piece of 3", 36 ILD LI w/ an average ILD of around 33 for comparison).
Reply #26 Feb 7, 2008 8:21 PM
BeddyBye, please let us know if the topper is softer or about the same as your other toppers. Since I was told the topper ranges from 26 ILD to 32 ILD and since no matter how consistent Talalay Latex is, parts are firmer and softer than other parts, the topper may vary. I know my Talalay Latex Pieces have three ILD's on them with an average ILD that is give or take +/- 3 ILD. For instance one of my 36 Natural Talaly Latex cores averages out to 39 ILD, one of my 44 ILD blended Latex Cores averages out to a little more than 46 ILD, and one of my other 36 ILD latex cores averages out to about 34 ILD and I wish this latex core was firmer.
Reply #27 Feb 8, 2008 5:58 AM
Well even I--the no big fan of Talalay person--had to order one of these things. The price and the thickness was just too enticing to pass up, especially with the coupon. But I still have NO IDEA what ILD it is. Brylane gives you very little information. I even called them and the operator had about as much info as I did. But I'm just wondering if it's really Natura, or if they are using the name. I was on the Natura website, and not only do they not even have a 1" topper, their products are so pricey I can't imagine them allowing Brylane to sell merchandise with their name on it for that price. Also there's been some discussion here about whether it's blended or natural... Brylane's product description says "natural." It also says "medium density"  and "imported" so it will be interesting to see what it actually is when I get it--which should be next Tuesday.

It will also be interesting to see what all of us who ordered this topper thinks of it.

Reply #28 Feb 8, 2008 8:00 AM
Large package label identifies it as Natura's Naturalux--which if you dig on the website is blended talalay. NO ONE sells 100% natural talalay without identifying it as such since that's a more expensive product.

While the ILD of the original 5.6" bun may have been in the 26-32 range, once you've sliced it down to 1" thicknesses it gets a bit more iffy (with +/-3 on original at various test spots, you'll also get variance throughout thickness). Look at it this way--the higher the ILD, the better a deal it becomes.

Brylane has these on clearance. Don't know if sold originally at higher price, or if Brylane liquidating them for someone else (even Natura). May originallyhave been created as a mattress component for a big company (such as Sealy) which switched to synthetic. May just be older product. I doubt they were created for Brylane.

Recent Posts