Brylane Latex Topper
Feb 2, 2008 4:36 PM
I love everything about my latex bed so far but wish I had a 1.25" soft topper. I love my 1" Overstock Topper but it is not that sturdy and is falling apart and is a little small for the bed. I have been reading about this sale only good until Monday. Those that have the Brylane 1" latex topper, do you think the ILD is softer than the Overstock or the same? What do you think the ILD is? Is it man-made latex, blended latex or natural latex do you think?  Do you have any idea if this is Dunlap latex processing, Talalay latex processing or neither?  Does the latex topper fit the size of the mattress or is it a little small like the Overstock topper that is a little short on all sides?  Does the topper have a smell when it arrives and if it does, how long does it take to go away?  IS there one big piece for the Queen or King size or it the topper glued? 

I am still not sure since it is 1" and not 1.25" or 1.5" but maybe until I have time to call Dave to see if he can find me a softer latex topper than the 1.2" he got me that is wonderful but the 24 ILD seems to squishy to me and I do not sink in enough to feel the very firm support underneath that I love unless I put a 44 ILD under it and then it is too hard but still squishy. Then I go back to my 1" topper with the 36 ILD over the 39 ILD over the 44 ILD and feel this is very comfortable and I can live with this and rather err on the firm side than too soft due to my car accident causing the 5 herniated disks. I really think about a 17 to 20 ILD over a 38 ILD (if there is a 36 ILD that averages higher) over the 39 ILD over the 44 ILD would be best for me in about 1.25" thickness but I doubt if anything like this is made.  :) 

I like that there is only a tiny fee to return it if it is not what I want. I wish the sale was for another week since I want to call Dave first and see if he has any ideas.

Re: Brylane Latex Topper
Reply #4 Feb 3, 2008 2:11 PM
What are you all using for covers on these latex toppers? Or can you use them under sheets without a cover?
Reply #5 Feb 3, 2008 2:56 PM
I don't have my toppers yet — I ordered 2 one inch toppers from Brylane. I've been looking around for covers though, thinking that I should probably get one especially if I have two toppers or decide to do some "cut and paste" zoning, to keep it all together. I found an EBay store that makes terry cloth covers for $48.00 and will also custom make something to some odd size if you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANY-SIZE-TERRY-CLOTH-MATTRESS-PAD-COVER_W0QQitemZ260188177937QQcmdZViewItem

They look pretty nice, though not 100% cotton, and it seems like a good price. I think it might be important to have a stretchy material around the latex to get full benefit from the conforming nature of the foam.
Reply #6 Feb 3, 2008 3:18 PM
My latex topper fits perfectly under my zipped up FloBed mattress zipped up cover.  Latex needs to be covered.  I love the new mattress cover I was sent in September.  I have room for up to a 2" topper since that is what comes with the mattress. I actually like the way it feels with the 1" topper and everything is really perfect but the Overstock topper is cheap and I want a sturdier one and I really wish I had a little more cushion on my shoulders but I can live with it now but if this topper from Overstock does not last, I would like to have options available now so I will not be stuck.
Reply #7 Feb 3, 2008 10:01 PM
mattressmom wrote:
What are you all using for covers on these latex toppers? Or can you use them under sheets without a cover?

We used our's right under two top sheets.
Reply #8 Feb 3, 2008 11:36 PM
When I use a latex topper, I put it under another fitted sheet and then my CuddleBed fiber pad over that, topped by the sheet we lay on. It stays very snug and protected.

Lynn2006 wrote:
My latex topper fits perfectly under my zipped up FloBed mattress zipped up cover.  Latex needs to be covered.  I love the new mattress cover I was sent in September.  I have room for up to a 2" topper since that is what comes with the mattress. I actually like the way it feels with the 1" topper and everything is really perfect but the Overstock topper is cheap and I want a sturdier one and I really wish I had a little more cushion on my shoulders but I can live with it now but if this topper from Overstock does not last, I would like to have options available now so I will not be stuck.
Reply #9 Feb 3, 2008 11:49 PM
Lynn, I believe it's the Talalay processing. When I went to Natura's website, their latex toppers are described as Talalay. Also, the photo of it on Brylane Home looks like Talalay. I think I'll order one. It's costly to ship, but at least only $5.75 to send back, if need be. I don't know why they can't send it as cheaply. :) Overstock manages to!

Lynn2006 wrote:
I love everything about my latex bed so far but wish I had a 1.25&quot; soft topper. I love my 1&quot; Overstock Topper but it is not that sturdy and is falling apart and is a little small for the bed. I have been reading about this sale only good until Monday. Those that have the Brylane 1&quot; latex topper, do you think the ILD is softer than the Overstock or the same? What do you think the ILD is? Is it man-made latex, blended latex or natural latex do you think?  Do you have any idea if this is Dunlap latex processing, Talalay latex processing or neither?  Does the latex topper fit the size of the mattress or is it a little small like the Overstock topper that is a little short on all sides?  Does the topper have a smell when it arrives and if it does, how long does it take to go away?  IS there one big piece for the Queen or King size or it the topper glued?  </p><p>I am still not sure since it is 1&quot; and not 1.25&quot; or 1.5&quot; but maybe until I have time to call Dave to see if he can find me a softer latex topper than the 1.2&quot; he got me that is wonderful but the 24 ILD seems to squishy to me and I do not sink in enough to feel the very firm support underneath that I love unless I put a 44 ILD under it and then it is too hard but still squishy. Then I go back to my 1&quot; topper with the 36 ILD over the 39 ILD over the 44 ILD and feel this is very comfortable and I can live with this and rather err on the firm side than too soft due to my car accident causing the 5 herniated disks. I really think about a 17 to 20 ILD over a 38 ILD (if there is a 36 ILD that averages higher) over the 39 ILD over the 44 ILD would be best for me in about 1.25&quot; thickness but I doubt if anything like this is made.  :) </p><p>I like that there is only a tiny fee to return it if it is not what I want. I wish the sale was for another week since I want to call Dave first and see if he has any ideas.
Reply #10 Feb 4, 2008 5:25 AM
If you use the 20% coupon--and there's always a coupon, it's pretty much like free shipping. I'm actually going to order one tonight! I think I can stand 1" of soft Talalay, even if I have to stick it under the memory foam to deaden any latent jiggle. For that price I can afford to experiment. If I don't use it  now I'll just put it away until I dissect my mattress and replace the PU crap.
Reply #11 Feb 4, 2008 11:31 PM
I joined the "Let's order the Brylane latex topper club", too. LOL Last night after reading so much about it here and noticing that it was the lowest priced anywhere....I succumbed. :) I am running out of room to store various foam toppers, so I hope I can find a permanent home on someone's bed here!

cloud9 wrote:
If you use the 20% coupon--and there's always a coupon, it's pretty much like free shipping. I'm actually going to order one tonight! I think I can stand 1&quot; of soft Talalay, even if I have to stick it under the memory foam to deaden any latent jiggle. For that price I can afford to experiment. If I don't use it  now I'll just put it away until I dissect my mattress and replace the PU crap.
Reply #12 Feb 5, 2008 12:29 AM
I ordered the Brylanehome.com Latex Topper with the 20% off but after placing the order I decided to click the item and print the picture and description of it to attach to my print out of the order confirmation. Then it hit me that if it was a Talalay Processed Latex topper, it would say this. Since they never answered my email several days ago, I thought maybe I should see if there is a phone number to call. Sure enough they were open and Marianne ID# 30446 told me it was a man-made latex topper and not Talalay latex processing. I have problems with the smell of man-made latex since I bought a pillow about 1.5 years ago that I had to give to a friend that I was sensitive to by the chemical smell and how hard the latex was.  I now sleep on a 100% natural Talalay latex pillow.  I canceled the order right away. It is a good price for those that are not chemically sensitive but for those that are chemically sensitive like me, I would rather not take a chance on having to pack it up and return it when I am so busy right now.  Thank you everyone for letting me know about this topper. I appreciate this site and all of your help. I thought I should share my knowledge to help others make an informed decision.  Remember if you can handle polyurethane, I am sure man-made latex will not bother you. For me chemicals bother me and I need to breath as I sleep.
This message was modified Feb 5, 2008 by Lynn2006
Reply #13 Feb 5, 2008 2:39 AM
I wrote to Brylanehome.com again and I get back automatic responses the tell me nothing and are nothing to do with my question. I wrote to Natura tonight (their website seems to indicate it is a Talalay blend but sometimes manufactures sell products of different ingredients to different companies to be price competitive) and I am waiting for a response on what the product is really made out of and the ILD.
This message was modified Feb 5, 2008 by Lynn2006

Recent Posts