Best firm mattress for spine,back and neck support?
Dec 30, 2010 7:30 PM
Hi y'all!

I'm looking for a firm mattress with great spine/back and neck support. I deal with pain in my upper back and neck due to sports, it's not that bad but I def need a more supportive mattress. I am looking for brands and models that offer a firm mattress. I know it's a relitive thing but I always like to know about models before I hit the Sleepys or wherever because after a while, all the beds start to feel the same and it's a nightmare. My current bed is driving me crazy. I wasted 1,000 bucks on the whole pillowtop craze. I didn't even get on the bandwagon, I just didn't know any better and liked the firm support. Unfortunetly, it's started sagging after just a year. So I am staying away from any plush or pillowtop type mattresses. It makes me realize that firm is actually good and a mattress can never get firmer, it only gets softer. So let me know if you have any ideas. Nothing too hard but I need lots of support. Thanks!

Re: Best firm mattress for spine,back and neck support?
Reply #4 Apr 9, 2011 2:09 PM
Phoenix, you seem to know everything about mattresses. I just bought a 3 inch memory foam mattress topper and I don't think it's for me.  When trying to move around on it, it takes more muscle than normal.  I think it's not firm enough for my lower back.  I have just had shoulder surgery and my strength is not up to par.  Currently, I wake up with some neck and lower back pain.  My mattress is not old enough for me to consider buying a new one; it is a medium firmness.  I am looking to buy a mattress pad or topper.  I sleep on my side, am 5'4", weight is 150 lbs.  Any suggestions would help.
Reply #5 Apr 9, 2011 3:07 PM
awesom9 wrote:

Phoenix, you seem to know everything about mattresses. I just bought a 3 inch memory foam mattress topper and I don't think it's for me.  When trying to move around on it, it takes more muscle than normal.  I think it's not firm enough for my lower back.  I have just had shoulder surgery and my strength is not up to par.  Currently, I wake up with some neck and lower back pain.  My mattress is not old enough for me to consider buying a new one; it is a medium firmness.  I am looking to buy a mattress pad or topper.  I sleep on my side, am 5'4", weight is 150 lbs.  Any suggestions would help.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen Phoenix on this forum for several months.   He had some good information here and you can read all his posts if you search for "Phoenix".  Here is a thread of his on Toppers:  http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/latex-toppers/16314-0-1.html

Here is one on his mattress that you might find interesting:   http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-mattress-arrived/15666-A-1.html

I personally wouldn't try anything more than 1" of memory foam as a comfort topper.  I tried 2" and had back pain.  I would stick with latex toppers and go in 1" increments and no more than 3 or 4 inches of that on a firm mattress or base.  The top 2 or 3 inches should be in the 19-22 ILD range and then if you still need something softer, go with 1" of 14ILD.  That would be my recommendation.  There is also the idea of zoning as Flobeds and Custom Sleep Design that have a lot of merit if you are a side sleeper.

Good luck.

Reply #6 Apr 9, 2011 3:41 PM
Sall wrote:

Unfortunately, I haven't seen Phoenix on this forum for several months.   He had some good information here and you can read all his posts if you search for "Phoenix".  Here is a thread of his on Toppers:  http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/latex-toppers/16314-0-1.html

Here is one on his mattress that you might find interesting:   http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-mattress-arrived/15666-A-1.html

I personally wouldn't try anything more than 1" of memory foam as a comfort topper.  I tried 2" and had back pain.  I would stick with latex toppers and go in 1" increments and no more than 3 or 4 inches of that on a firm mattress or base.  The top 2 or 3 inches should be in the 19-22 ILD range and then if you still need something softer, go with 1" of 14ILD.  That would be my recommendation.  There is also the idea of zoning as Flobeds and Custom Sleep Design that have a lot of merit if you are a side sleeper.

Good luck.

Sall, I agree with you. Everyone is different but my experience is that memory foam in amounts of more than an inch end up providing no support and leading to back pain.

Layers of latex are working best for me. I haven't tried 14 or 19ILD latex but I imagine it would be a better topper than memory foam. Some day I look forward to trying this ultra-low ILD latex.

Recent Posts