Acid Reflux Wedge Pillow
Nov 24, 2007 2:25 AM
Hello foam gurus - I need some advice on a slightly different use of foam.  I use a bed wedge to help prevent acid reflux issues.  I do NOT like the wedge I am currently using - it is a PU wedge that is 27" x 27" and 10" high that I ordered from here:
http://www.foamfabbed.com/cgi-bin/foam/scan/se=bedwed10pc/su=yes/ml=10/sp=w-wedge-bolster.htm

The specs say this wedge is "B Grade Foam", which they describe as: 
"Our B Grade Foam has a medium resiliency and density.  It has a density of 1.25 lbs. and an ILD of 30 - 35 lbs.  Generally, B Grade Foam will last 3 - 5 years but it depends upon the use and weight being supported.  Our B Grade Foam works great in any application like as both our A Grade Foam but with a shorter life span.  We recommend this type of foam in applications that are not used on a regular or daily basis."

There are 2 things I do not like about this wedge: 1) It is too firm, and 2) It is too high.  The result is that during the night I slide down and wake up with my head at the bottom of the wedge.  Also, since I am a side sleeper,  and I am waking up with pain in my shoulders - I think because of pressure points on my shoulders.

I have looked at many pillows and wedges that are specifically made for acid reflux, but they are all over the place - some seem to be made of really cheap materials, while others seem fairly high tech - but - they ALL seem way overpriced for what they are.  OTOH, the wedge I have now is one of the more reasonably priced ones - and I don't like it - so I'm ready to spend more if it will get me what I need.

So...  What should I be looking for in the specs for a new wedge?  Should I be looking for a wedge made from a higher quality PU or latex that has a bit lower ILD?  Or maybe a wedge similar to what I have now (but not as high) with a memory foam layer on top for more comfort?  I weigh about 200 pounds and I am a side sleeper - any help is very much appreciated!

This message was modified Nov 24, 2007 by BillyBob_jcv
Re: Acid Reflux Wedge Pillow
Reply #3 Dec 22, 2018 7:15 AM
I also wanted to know that, and after reading this, this helps me a lot. thanks.

Recent Posts