800 Mattress Question - Serta vs Serta (2x cost diff?)
Feb 23, 2008 3:31 PM
So I called 800 Mattress, and amazed that they could bring a mattress TODAY.  Anyway, he said how about a Serta Baldwin Ultra Plush for $1599  I asked why the Serta Ultra Plush Sedona was $800 from Costco. He claimed that the mattress from him is different than the mattress from Costco and you are also paying for service from him (they let you exchange for a different model for $59 within the first month)? 

However, the coil counts seem the same to me from the different Serta models and they are both ultra plush. How can the 800 Mattress.com place be worth TWICE the cost of the Costco one?
This message was modified Feb 23, 2008 by novahelp
Re: 800 Mattress Question - Serta vs Serta (2x cost diff?)
Reply #24 Feb 29, 2008 5:55 PM
Dear mattress experts!

Need your advice as I'm getting frustrated with the shopping for the new mattress.

I keep seeing the advice of " going with strong springs (any brand that has decent springs), get the most ULTRA firm you can get (this basically just means "very little cheap foam padding" - as opposed to the pillowtop plush types which have "way too much cheap foam padding") and put your own toppers on top."

I found this Serta mattress hotel series online at Sam's club and wondering if it's a right one.

First of all it is double sided, means I can slip on both sides and it will require to flip it over from time to time. My understanding is that's a good thing. It is hard to find such mattresses anymore as the manufacturers shifted to non-flipping mattresses in the past couple years.

Second, my impression is that mattress has decent springs and little cheap foam. Please, correct me and provide your comments if I'm mistaken.

The bad thing is I cannot try it anywhere in the stores before buying.

Here's the specification of the Queen size mattress (Serta Master Suite Firm):

Mattress height - 10.5''

Innerspring:

Coil counts - 800, 14 3/4 Gauge

Continuous Wire Unit

6 Gauge Border Wire

Quilted Panel

1 Layer of Pillo Fill Plus

FireBlocker

7/8'' High ILD Convoluted Foam

1/2'' Quilting Foam

Patented Advanced Comfort Quilt Construction

Upholstery

1'' Firm Poly Foam

Insulator

Fireblocker Insulator Pad

Ticking

Designer Damask

Here's the marketing broshure for this mattress

http://www.serta.bc.ca/documents/MasterSuiteFirm.pdf

Thanks in advance for all you input

Reply #25 Mar 1, 2008 4:30 PM
Just ordered a Sealy Posturepedic Cushion firm.

http://www.mattress.com/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=13753&SID=6

Coils seem good and strong, then i layer my latex on top and I hope it will be great!
Reply #26 Mar 1, 2008 4:47 PM
I think you will be happy and comfortable.   Please update us when you get your mattress. 

Recent Posts