4 lb. vs. 5 lb. memory foam
Feb 19, 2010 12:17 AM
I tried a foam combo at a store that makes foam mattresses today.  The topper was a 4lb 3 inch memory foam and felt very good (no pressure points after laying there for about an hour).  Then, when we got to the point of discussing a custom job, the owner recommended I go with the 5lb. memory foam instead of the 4lb., stating it would be more durable.  When I asked if it would feel firmer than the 4 lb.I had been laying on, he was very adament that it would feel exactly the same - just be more durable, but no, he didn't have a 5lb. topper for me to try.  Hmmm, I am suspicious.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

DianeK

Re: 4 lb. vs. 5 lb. memory foam
Reply #10 Feb 20, 2010 4:16 PM
Pete wrote:
Go with the densest foam possible. Denser = firmer. I'd LOVE some 8lb foam if overstock would sell me some!

This was sarcasm. And yes, memory foam does not offer support, it's only function is to add a plushness factor. 2" is my recommended thickness. It will bottom out; so make sure that whatever is under the memory foam is firmly supportive. There is no such thing as supportive memory foam. THAT is an oxymoron. HOWEVER, I love the effect of 2" Sensus in my very firm mattress. Memory foam is funny, the more you compress it the higher the ILD gets. Think about it. 5lb foam that is compressed to half thickness will then have a effective density of 10lb. So on the pressure points, it is especially useful. BUT NOT TOO THICK!!!
This message was modified Feb 20, 2010 by Pete

Recent Posts