Questions about how to format posts
Sep 9, 2007 3:24 PM
Foam Nerd
I have the basic text formatting figured out, but hyperlinks are driving me a little crazy.

Sometimes the link is shown with the Title as the link description, and sometimes the URL is displayed. Sometimes they open in the current window and sometimes they open in a new tab. It's "flakey."

What is the Target field used for?

Can the hyperlink button be made smart enough that if you select a text link then click the chain icon, that it can use that as the default, rather than having to manually cut and paste it in?
Re: Questions about how to format posts
Reply #1 Sep 10, 2007 3:16 PM
I am not experiencing any unexpected behavior with the link feature.

Here is test #1.

Setting "Target" to "blank" is what produces a new window. This is HTML jargon. But, the forum software makes all links open in a new window anyway. The "Title" field is used only for the pop-up help tags -- there's no need to use it.

To add a link, what you do is first type the text into the editor that you want to be hyperlinked. Then, select that text and click the link icon. Adding a link only works when you have text selected (or at least only works properly this way).
This message was modified Sep 10, 2007 by peter
Reply #2 Sep 10, 2007 8:21 PM
Foam Nerd
peter wrote:
Adding a link only works when you have text selected (or at least only works properly this way).

Is this correct?
  1. Copy a URL link to the clipboard
  2. Type the URL description into the editor window and select it (but don't cut or copy)
  3. Clink the link icon and paste the URL into the Source box.
  4. Select http:// from the Source drop down box
I still find this non-intuitive.
  • Why not just paste the entire link, including the http:// part into a single source box?
  • What is a bookmark (in this context)?
  • What are the Target fields for?
  • The Source field works like a "hint", like when you point at a toolbar button?
  • Why not allow the description to be specified or modified right in the same dialogue box?
Reply #3 Sep 10, 2007 8:41 PM
haysdb,
Said like a true software geek! :-)
I hope you get 'em straitened out; it's driving me batty. I hate editing in the editer window, because you can't click into it if you forgot to include something above. You have to arrow up...and then back down again. And I do not want to compose in Word all the time. Hey, wait a minute. I just clicked into my current post and edited something. That didn't work just a minute ago.  And I miss the preview feature. And I miss the "viewed" counter.
Reply #4 Sep 10, 2007 8:52 PM
Foam Nerd
If this forum software really was created "from scratch" then I am very impressed. For v1.0, it's very good. But I do hope development work continues.
Reply #5 Sep 11, 2007 1:52 AM
<P>I miss the OLD forum. Period.</P>
This message was modified Sep 11, 2007 by BeddyBye

Recent Posts