PU versus latex foam
Mar 9, 2010 5:52 PM
Hi all, first time poster here.  I have read quite a few posts on the board since finding it but have not seen a thread on this subject in the Highlighted section or by some limited searching.  Nor have I found information in the buying guide.  And I have not seen any threads on PU foam beds, only latex foam beds.

Latex is hard to find where I live (Calgary) but I'm willing to go mail order to try it if it's really worth the effort.  I might be in the market for a new mattress set or just a new mattress and keep the existing foundation.  Or I might just add a topper to my existing mattress set (15 year old Sealy Posturepedic Presidential contractor/hotel Plush) if I can confirm that the springs and foundation are actually still OK and likely to last another 10 plus years.  Either way, I'd like to know more about PU versus latex foam.

There is a small mattress manufacturer in town that I visited today and discovered this company does not subscribe to latex.  I like what I'm hearing from this company.  Their prices are fair and they don't offer any higher priced S brand type mattresses.  They sell quality and crafsmanship.  And I do like that they are strongly suggesting I just get a topper instead of a new bed.  And I do have a loaner PU foam topper from them which I will be trying. 

On to the PU versus Latex debate.  I was told that first of all latex will dry out over time in a climate such as Calgary (arid, low humidity) and PU will not.  That's one thing I have not read before and was wondering what others know about this subject.  And I believe that I read that latex durability is generally (humidity extremes aside) better than PU foam.  Is that the general consensus?  And this company is backing this statement by using only a higher quality PU foam.  A 3 pound PU foam I believe.  It has a 21 year warranty (I'm not sure what the fine print of the warranty is yet).

And surprisingly they state that the comfort quality of PU is just as good as latex.  They say the two foams are different, but latex isn't necessarily better any any way from a comfort point of view.  Just different.  And they say they can come very close to the feel of latex by layering different densities of PU foam.

So I have basically been told that latex is not as durable (in Calgary) and there is no performance (from a comfort point of view) reason to go with latex.

So what do you think about PU versus latex?  Am I getting good information or am I missing some facts?  If there are some real benefits of latex over quality PU foam then I will explore latex outside of my city.

Thanks,
Bryan

Recent Posts